Tar1090 -- improved webinterface for dump1090-fa and readsb

Thank you, much appreciated!

@wiedehopf - thanks for adding the wind data display options. Seeing upper atmosphere winds on the map will be interesting when weather fronts pass by.

1 Like

Oh that’s nice - I see the option to enable them but don’t actually see any when I turn on the labels via O. Is it only carried in certain regions?

There is an option in the settings menu, it replaces the reg / type display.
Maybe i should make it just another setting to cycle through.

Yes ATC need to interrogate magn heading / true airspeed.
Magn. declination is looked up to convert to true heading.
True heading / true airspeed and ground track / ground speed are used to then calculate the wind.

Edit: i see the issue, you run dump1090-fa.
Maybe i’ll hide the option in that case.
While you can calculate winds in the js interface and it does actually do that for individual aircraft, not sure if i want to implement it for the labels …

I don’t think so - You talked me through switching to readsb a few months ago. That’s why I have a range plot on my map. You are looking at my main feeder, not the one in my loft?

/edit - Ahh, yes. I’ve found it, it does cycle through once enabled. Nice, thanks.

Screenshot 2021-12-20 at 08.39.54

I didn’t look at your feeder at all … was just thinking of the most likely reason.

Yeah … changed it so you can always toggle through it.
The option now is just to change the style from only wind to wind + usual info.

Mine doesn’t show it. I have installed the latest tar1090. And I think I am using readsb.

Well it should at least show “Wind n/a” in the version i uploaded couple hours ago.
(when you cycle through the extended label options using o while the lables are on)

ATC in the US doesn’t interrogate true airspeed / magn. heading. thus wind speed can’t be calculated.
Well apparently Boston approach currently interrogates for it … but pretty much everywhere else it’s interrogated by all radars.

In Canada only Toronto approach interrogates for it.

1 Like

Thank you for explaining. I have updated and this is how it looks. I’m not near Boston :slight_smile:

I thought that true airspeed is transmitted via ADS-B without interrogations.

You need to cycle O one further.

It is not.

1 Like

That’s the third click, after that goes back to one row label.

Have you activated “slim wind labels”?
Those don’t show anything when there is no data.

Anyhow … it’s kinda pointless as i said there is zero data where you are.

1 Like

“Running the current version of tar1090”

1 Like

Needed a restart…
sudo systemctl restart tar1090

The version shown has nothing to do with the service, neither does the code of the webinterface.

Your image shows clearly you updated 7 days ago, not today.

Like I said above, it needed a manual reset of service. Didn’t use to need it.

When I was starting out with JavaScript 10 years ago, a friend recommended the O’Reilly book “JavaScript: The Good Parts”. Just the thing for an old dog ‘C’ programmer trapped in an object-orient world.

Hi all, i have upgraded and installed tar1090 today. Loving it so far. Nice upgrade from the skyaware i was using for the local front end. I am still using dump1090-fa and will move over to readsb in the next step.

A few questions on the tar1090 web interface. (Im not sure if anyone else sees this behaviour of just me).

1. Setting the option “Group by Data Type” does not stay ticked when i refresh the page. Is this something i need to update on my side?
  2. The Colored Trails i cant seem to get working. I have ticked them on and off and the option doesn’t do anything for me. Would anyone happen to know how i could go about fixing this so i can turn on the trails like i had back on the SkyAware?
  3. Is there any issues with me running the piaware SD Card image and moving to readsb? Or should i be starting fresh?
  4. Moving to readsb MLAT will continue to work as it does now with dump1090-fa?

Thank you