Tar1090 -- improved webinterface for dump1090-fa and readsb

@wiedehopf
Wow, this is a very nice improvement!!!
Thank you for all the work and time you spend on this. Bet every user will be very, very pleased with this update

Not me, i liked the icon size just as it was :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

When working with a smalles screen a laptop i.e., it is a great improvement. :wink: Working with a 27inch monitor, is something else

That’s slick! Thanks!
On my phone screen it really helps!

@wiedehopf

Weird that there are so few people respond to the nice improvement. Or perhaps they haven’t noticed the update yet.

Perhaps an idea to give a notification of an update? Or just mention the release date so people can check their version with the latest one?
Just an idea

Meh.
Not everyone wants to resize their icons :slight_smile:

Everyone be sure to check the new sliders in the settings menu, the dark mode is also very nice (at least i like it).

I suppose the light mode could use some more greyish backgrounds to make it not quite as bright to begin with.

The filters on the right side can also be very useful when you’d want to look only at MLAT aircraft for example.

1 Like

I love the design that the Settings ‘cog’ icon has a notch to engage with the shaft. #details

hello timothydykstra82. did you ever get your issues resolved regarding aricraft trails. i just updated and am having the same issues. either no trails at all or trails that are interrupted. when i refresh the page all works correctly. then, when i leave the page, and come back, the same issues, no trails or dashed/interrupted trails. i refresh again and all is well, for a while…

Why do people assume they have the same issue.

Just stating your exact problem and what exactly you do (put the tab in the background) would be a much better way to state the problem.

It’s a recent change i made i’ll fix it.

Edit: fixed, just update.
Edit2: … maybe not fixed yet need to see what the issue is with the fix.
Edit3: should be fixed, update if you had the issue.

1 Like

Hello @wiedehopf ,

Is this the issue in question?

If so the most recent commit (59e4209 non globeIndex, make sure data is still collected while tab hidden) hasn’t fixed it for Safari 14.1 on macOS 11.3. Note that I have WebGL off, in case that is a factor.

The above has been “normal” behaviour with tar1090 in background for as long as I can remember. It has never worried me, as it is no great hardship to hit refresh and then the T button after selecting the tar1090 tab.

Yeah i don’t really test for Safari :confused:
Also not sure how i should fix it if it works in Chrome / Firefox … that’s what i have available to test.

I’m not sure how Safari handles a hidden page and if it allows any computation to proceed in that time.
Just reloading should load the traces anyhow.

webGL shouldn’t be a factor, is it a problem to use webGL for you?
I thought it would work fine on current Safari versions … :confused:

If you fancy you could go into the dev console and check for any errors.
You know where the dev console is?

Please open the browser / developer console and provide a screenshot of the Log:
https://support.monday.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002197259-How-to-Open-the-Developer-Console

Anyhow with the most current version, first select all traces, then type this in the dev console:

testHide()

after 45 seconds or so type

testUnhide()

Check if there are any errors appearing on the console and if the tracks are interrupted.
Then refresh the page, and do basically the same instead of typing the commands just actually go into another tab and then back.

For me there is no difference in behaviour in Chrome.
If it’s different in Safari between those then i’m not sure how to fix it :confused:

Edit: … maybe i just need to test more … it always seems to work then sometimes it doesn’t … not sure what is going on.
(testing for a minute the tracks work just fine … but longer than that the browser may power save even more and not allow the page to continue running … checking that right now, that’s just power saving stuff.
I suppose i could reload the history when the tab has been in the background long enough but … not really what i’d like to do as it complicates stuff)

This is the console output following a refresh than select all tracks.

testHide() can’t be found - suggestions? (Probably me not following instructions :slightly_smiling_face:)

The reason I have webGL off is that I was getting a frequent message saying that the page was using excessive resources and had been reloaded - I read in one of your comments that it wasn’t really needed unless you were displaying hundreds of planes, and never get to 100.

Just read your most recent edit - don’t put too much effort into this - it is not a big issue.

not the latest version, i said to update … that’s something i just added.
But it’s likely irrelevant as the behaviour of that test and the actual tab being hidden seems different.

Does it show interrupted track instantly or only after more than a minute?

Interesting … it seems to make the interval handler only run every 60 seconds, not the interval of 8 seconds i specified.
I might need to use setTimeout.

Sorry, misunderstood. Updated to the latest version and now get this:

Can’t select controls any of the controls on the web page, and the map is dimmed with a progress bar showing.

@retman1222

Seems the browsers are not allowing short timers while the tab is in the background for longer than a certain time.

So that’s browser stuff changing saving energy.
Nothing i can do about it besides loading data once you tab back.
Might do that at some point but really … just reload the page or don’t put the tab in the background (own browser window).

Ignore my most recent message above - updated to the latest commit, and all good again - thanks.

In all of the excitement of my “frozen” instance, I forgot to answer your question.

With the tab in background for up to approximately 60 seconds, there is no interruption in the tracks. With the tab in background for two minutes there is an interruption. Let me know if you need a more exact measurement.

No, same behaviour for me in chrome.
It doesn’t allow the timers to fire as often after a certain time.
So i might set a timer in javascript to do the next datafetch in 10 seconds, but the browser changes the timer to 60 seconds.
That limitation only sets in after about a minute.

1 Like

thank you for the feedback and response Wiedehopf, as always, well done!

Just updated my receiver yesterday and is now on 210506. I then sometimes see aircraft registration labels on the map as “reg: SE-CTZ”, and suddenly it’s back to the regular “SE-CTZ”. Any new feature announsement i have missed here? :smiley: