Squawk Vote Observation

I have notice that over time when I vote on squawks, more votes are submitted. Though I have seen my votes range up to ten, it usually varies from four through seven votes. I can usually get more votes after I submit my squawk by un-voting then re-voting. Also, if I vote (especially on my own squawks) multiple times a day the number of votes submitted usually decreases.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Why are you voting on your own squawks multiple times?

What’s the purpose of voting on a squawk whether it’s yours or someone else?

better yet the purpose of getting twisty over it…

Evidently there’s people who look at the number of votes to determine if it’s good rather than reading an article to determine if it’s good. Good all United Sheeple of America!

BTW, how do you ‘unvote’?
If you upvote a squawk, the counter goes up one; if you upvote again, it goes down one. It is sort of a toggle. Downvoting works the same.

What you may be seeing is that while you are fiddling with the toggle other readers are also voting.

Sort of like the Clydesdale colt pulling the Beer Wagon in the Budwater commercial.

Why are you voting on your own squawks multiple times?

All I do is vote and usually six votes are submitted, when I post a squawk it usually starts out with around five votes. I do not believe that every time I submit a squawk, four or five people would instantaneously vote on it. I have nearly 140 squawks, so I do not know if this makes a difference.

If you upvote a squawk, the counter goes up one; if you upvote again, it goes down one. It is sort of a toggle. Downvoting works the same. What you may be seeing is that while you are fiddling with the toggle other readers are also voting.

Six (give or take) votes are submitted the instant after I vote, usually I would have to hit “refresh” to see the newest votes aside from my own.

Could this be a glitch or is voting ability based on the number of squawks?

If you are a frequent squawker, your votes count more. The initial count for your squawk will be more than one, and any up and down votes you make on other people’s squawks will also move the count by more than one. It’s not a bug, it’s in recognition of your contribution to the site.

The Squawk system is user-moderated. Highly voted content is displayed at the top, on the home page, and in the newsletter.

When you vote on a squawk, the exact number of upvotes or downvotes submitted is determined by how much you’ve participated in the various community features on the site in the past. A user with a long history of participation will have more voting power than a newly registered user, for instance.