Sparrevohn, AK LRRS

Can anyone enlighten me about the present activity at this LRRS station? I know it’s up and running, etc. Would like to know if it’s possible for someone to visit the place. I was there as an Air Force grunt in 1955.
Thanks much.
chucksunder@hotmail.com

Airport use: Private use, CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC. OFFICIAL BUSINESS ONLY.

http://flightaware.com/live/airport/PASV

Still an Air Force installation. Still dangerous to fly into (see my highlight below)

• RWY LCTD ON SLOPE OF 3200' MTN; ARPT SURROUNDED BY MTNS.

• ALL MIL, GOVT AND CIV ACFT OPERATORS SHALL OBTAIN A PPR CTL NR A MIN OF 1-HR PRIOR TO DEP FOR SITE, REQUEST NO EARLIER THAN DAY OF PLANNED TRAVEL, CTC SITE PERSONNEL AT: DSN 317-552-1244/1157 C907-552-1244/1157.

• PASSENGERS MUST COORDINATE ALL TRAVEL WITH ARS PROGRAM MANAGEMENT (DSN 317-552-4400/1989 OR C907-552-4400/1989) ON ALL NON-EMERGENCY TRAVEL TO SITE.

• **WINDS IN EXCESS OF20 KT /RADOME WINDS 25 KT/ MAY PRODUCE SEVER TURBC; RADOME WINDS NOT ALWAYS AVBL.

• TKOF RWY 16 ONLY; APCH FM S LND RWY 34 ONLY; ****SUCCESSFUL GO-AROUND IMPROBAB**LE; DAYLIGHT OPNS ONLY.

• 60' OVERRUN S END OF RWY 16/34.

• AFT INITIAL RDO CTC ON FREQ 126.2 OR 121.5 EXPECT A 30 MIN DELAY FOR CURRENT AIRSTRIP COND.

• RADIO-121.5 (E).

• USAF INSTALLATION, ALL CIVIL ACFT OPERS REQ CIVIL ACFT LNDG PERMITS PRIOR TO LANDING AT FACILITY. FINES WILL BE LEVIED AGAINST VIOLATORS & REPORTS WILL BE FWDD TO FAA FSDOS IAW 32CFR855 & USAF OPERG INSTRGS. OPERS MUST HAVE ON BOARD A COPY OF CURRENT PERMIT. FOR PERMITS CALL 907-552-7384/3636/5265.

Thanks for your replies. I recall when C-124 Globemasters landed there. It was always an event watching them coming in on that “uphill” runway.

5 % runway gradient. Very nice. Sparrevohn is, as noted, a Long Range Radar Site operated by the 611th Air Operations Group. It also sits right in the middle of several MOAs, so there’s also the use as a divert or emergency field for those guys. See the link:

globalsecurity.org/military/ … 611aog.htm

1955 war story: Airman having an appendicitis attack…terrible weather. An SA-16 arrives to pick up the stricken airman to Elmendorf for treatment. The SA-16 circled around for quite awhile before coming in out of the clouds and fog and wind to land. The “control tower” was an old converted mobile home on top of the ridge manned by 2 airmen who made terrible coffee. Story had a happy ending.