SLC to HNL an International flight?

I was on Delta 1825 from ATL to SLC last week. As we were landing the flight attendant announced that the aircraft was continuing on to HNL, but if you were one of the few continuing to HNL (which unfortunately I wasn’t) you needed to get off the plane as the flight would now become an international flight.

So…why would SLC to HNL be an international flight? Was it more of a figure of speech the FA was using to inform people that there would have to be more preparation needed for the flight? The layover is 2+ hours so I wouldn’t want to stay on the plane anyway.

flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL1825

The only thing i can think of is that the flight continued on to another country, most likely Narita Japan, after HNL, and some passengers would be continuing through.

Either that or the flight attendant was a boob.

Just looking at the flight history, I would say that the flight ( equipment included ) returns to Atlanta.

Only two DAL International departures from PHNL, a 777 to Seoul South Korea and an A340 to Taipei as far as I can tell.

images.delta.com/delta/pdfs/flight_schedules.pdf

edit: forgot about those ‘P’ prefixes as a majority of US airports start with ‘K’. :blush: fixed now.

The flights from PHNL (not KHNL) to Taipei and Seoul are operated by other airlines.

For airline passenger tax, the flight is international because it goes more than a certain distance from the USA. Passengers may have been asked to leave the aircraft due to the length of the layover and not because it was an international flight.

Or another thing could have been that the aircraft was changed in SLC. Still a 777 but a different one from the ATL-SLC segment.

Shooting from the hip I see again… Seoul…

orbitz.com/flight-info/DL/DL-HNL-ICN.html

SOURCE please??? International means leaving the country last I learned in school.

I sure didn’t find anything in Google to support your statement above.

Or are passports required since I was there in January?

BTW I did find a proposed “distance tax” in the workings, but dont’ know if it passed or not.

atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=9758

Allen

READ THE FRIGGIN’ TIMETABLE at images.delta.com/delta/pdfs/flight_schedules.pdf, ALLEN. If you did, you would notice a “CI” and a “KE” next to the flight numbers for the flights from HNL to Taipei and HNL to Seoul respectively. This indicates that China Airlines and Korean Air Lines operate these flights, NOT DELTA.

Had you actually looked at the Honolulu to Seoul flight on Orbitz, you would have found this:

Delta Air Lines 7864 operated by Korean Air – KE 0052

IN OTHER WORDS, THESE ARE CODESHARE FLIGHTS AND NOT FLIGHTS OPERATED WITH DELTA AIRCRAFT
Now, who is shooting from the hip?

Not me. I provided the source at least.

I neglected to look at the text. Since you are into shouting in large text, If you look at the logo, the orbitz site has the Delta logo. It maybe a codeshare flight, but it’s a Delta airline flight number.

To be exact

leave Thu, Dec 27 Delta Air Lines 7864
operated by Korean Air – KE 0052
Depart:
10:35am
Arrive:
4:35pm
Honolulu/Oahu, HI (HNL)
Seoul, Korea, Rep. of (ICN)

Choose this return
Return Mon, Dec 31 Delta Air Lines 7865
operated by Korean Air – KE 0051
Depart:
8:00pm
Arrive:
8:35am
Seoul, Korea, Rep. of (ICN)
Honolulu/Oahu, HI (HNL)

At least I can rationalize the errs of my way.

Allen

Whateva

geeze, my logic was that the 767 was not international for two reasons.

1. return DAL flight to Atlanta was a 767

2. only two other DAL flights listed ( codeshare ) that had international destinations where using different equipment ( 777 and A340 ). I would say the layover had everything to do with the passenger deplaning.

The other tip off that it’s a Code Share with another airline is the fact the the HNL-Taipei leg is an A340…Which Delta has none of…http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations/plan_flight/aircraft_types_layout/index.jsp
And the 78XX flight numbers.

Here’s my vote:

Thanks!

You entered international airspace. (i.e. over the Pacific) Therefore the flight was “international.”

Just to comment on this point and to the original post, most every time I fly CYDF - CYUL, I overfly parts of ME, NH and VT, but never has this flight ever been considered anything but domestic. So I use my driver’s license for ID for this and all domestic flight within Canada, but regulations require me to use my passport if I travel to the U.S.

Just an example below.

flightaware.com/live/flight/ACA6 … /CYDF/CYUL

What make the flight to PHNL any different? Are there different regulation at play here when Americans overfly international airspace between two domestic airports. Or is the Flight Attendant just messing around like CCX.

Just askin’

One difference, probably not related to what the flight attendant said, has to due with passenger taxes.

All domestic flights and all flights that start within Canada and Mexico that are within 225 miles of the USA are taxed at 7.5%. (This is in addition to other taxes on airline tickets). There is an exemption of this tax for the portion of the flight between Hawaii/Alaska and the mainland that is more than 3.45 miles from the mean low tide on the coast line. However, don’t think you are getting away with something because these same flights are also subject to a $7.50 tax.

As can seen below, airline fares have a multitude of taxes added.
The below is courtesy of the Delta Airlines web site.

U.S. Excise Tax
(aka U.S. Domestic Transportation Tax; U.S. Ticket Tax)
Percentage of fare; applies to flights within the continental United States or Canada/Mexico 225-mile buffer zones U.S. Domestic and International US 7.5%

Travel Facilities Tax
(aka Alaska/Hawaii Ticket Tax)
Applies to certain flight segments to or from Alaska or Hawaii U.S. Domestic and International US $7.50

U.S. Federal Segment Fee
Per-segment inflation-adjusted fee applicable to flights within the continental United States U.S. Domestic and International ZP $3.40

Passenger Facility Charge (PFC)
A maximum of 4 charges per itinerary applies to PFC-approved airports for facilities improvement U.S. Domestic and International XF up to $4.50

September 11th Security Fee
(aka U.S. Passenger Civil Aviation Security Fee)
U.S. government-assessed fee of $2.50 per U.S. enplanement per ticketed journey for security costs not to exceed $5.00 one-way or $10.00 round-trip U.S. Domestic and International AY $2.50

U.S. International Transportation (Arrival/Departure) Tax
Applies to all flights arriving in or departing from the United States, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands International US $15.10

U.S. Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) Fee
Applies to all flights originating abroad, except Canada, and landing in the United States, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands International XA $5.00

U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Fee
Applies to international arrivals to the United States, Puerto Rico, or the U.S. Virgin Islands International XY $7.00

Don’t know about Delta for sure, but at Continental all Hawaii flights are considered “International”. They are classified this way because they are flown with a cabin crew from the international base. Maybe there was a crew change?

nws could be on to something.
To you and I and the rest of the world going from KSLC to PHNL is a domestic flight. It could be considered an international flight by Delta. Perhaps by contract with the various unions they classify this leg as international. The only real regulations imposed going to the islands from the mainland are agricultural.

They probably just wanted to do an aircraft cleaning since ATL-SLC is a long flight and there was probably a lot of crap on the plane.

:question:

I get your point on the international thing. I can understand flying over ME on this route. But any pilot that has to fly over NH or VT between the Maritimes and CYUL is due for a vacation!! :laughing:

Yes, there was a crew change.

“a lot of crap on the plane.”

Yeah, after my 6 year old, 10 month old, and friend’s 7 year old got off, I’m sure they had to clean alot of crumbs/wrappers/cups off the floor, seats, pockets, etc… :wink: Just as they would have to do that after every flight they were on.