Signal Strength Heatmap

Ran for 5 minutes this time.

Only have the elevation heatmap error.

Without more information itā€™s difficult to diagnose what is causing that - Itā€™s not a problem Iā€™ve run into. If you are willing to send me your heywhatsthat panorama ID via PM I can have a look and see if I can work out whatā€™s causing the error.

PM with HWT ID sent

Thanks

So the Altitude limits are in ft, but the receiver height is in meters??

Yes. Itā€™s somewhat arbitrary, but the calculations are all done in SI units. I put the altitude limits in feet because thatā€™s whatā€™s conventionally used in aviation.

Animation altitude low , 8 - 29 Augustus

1 Like

Is the script in the first post still the correct way to install this? I have an interesting thing going on and this will help me prove/disprove it.

/edit - Installed and ran but I get

./heatmap.sh: line 24: jq: command not found

/edit2 - Installed jq and now itā€™s running. Iā€™ve just set it for an hour at the moment to see what it produces.

Without having to read the entire thread, is there a single post with full instructions and options?

I think the polar.sh from the bottom of the first post pretty much does all the various plots now.

The readme here has an explanation on how to use it:

The first script still works, but the polar.sh produces more plots. It takes longer to run however.

Can you adapt it to use the data saved by graphs1090 in /var/lib/graphs1090/scatter?

I could probably make the required changes, but i donā€™t have a good overview of the data formats right now :wink:

They contain different data. The files generated by graphs1090 are effectively summarised - they contain number of aircraft, message rates, and maximum ranges.

This uses data from each aircraft - it takes lat/lon, rssi and altitude and calculates range, bearing and elevation. Thereā€™s not enough data in the scatter files to generate a heat map.

Oh right, i should know that.

First run, one hour. This will probably do what I want but why are the colours all white?

If you are running timelapse1090, then you donā€™t have to wait for the script to gather it directly.

Iā€™m not running timelapse.

Now running polar.sh for an hour.

./polar.sh 60 5
HWT OK
Using disk : /home/pi/heatmap
Gathering data every 5 seconds until Fri 30 Aug 14:19:14 BST 2019
Number of data points collected: 172348
Calculating Range, Azimuth and Elevation data:
awk: not an option: -i
Filtering altitudes
Processing heywhatsthat.com data:
Retrieving terrain profiles from heywhatsthat.com:
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  256k    0  256k    0     0  51976      0 --:--:--  0:00:05 --:--:-- 69420

set theta clockwise top
    ^
"/dev/stdin", line 27: unrecognized option - see 'help set'.

cp: cannot stat 'polarheatmap_low-2019-08-30.png': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat 'polarheatmap_high-2019-08-30.png': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat 'elevation-2019-08-30.png': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat 'altgraph-2019-08-30.png': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat 'closealt-2019-08-30.png': No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat 'closerange-2019-08-30.png': No such file or directory
Graphs available at :
http://192.168.1.185/dump1090-fa/data/plots.html
Graphs rendered in 3612 seconds

The problem is 1) having a different version of awk installed, and 2) having an older version of gnuplot.

Do this to resolve those errors:

sudo apt install gawk
sudo apt install liblua5.3
curl -sO http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gnuplot/gnuplot-data_5.2.6+dfsg1-3_all.deb
curl -sO http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gnuplot/gnuplot-nox_5.2.6+dfsg1-3_armhf.deb
sudo dpkg -i ./gnuplot-data_5.2.6+dfsg1-3_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i ./gnuplot-nox_5.2.6+dfsg1-3_armhf.deb

The default setting is to keep collected data, so you should either have a file called heatmap or polarheatmap-2019-08-30 in the directory where the script is. That contains the data you collected before. If heatmap is there, just run the script as ./polar.sh 1 1 and it will use the data already there.
If you have the file with the date, just copy it back to heatmap and do the same.

I should add some kind of check in the script for prerequisites, as this comes up fairly often. Iā€™ve modified the readme on github to include these instructions now.

Thanks, all working now. I do still get one error though:

Generating elevation heatmap...
"/dev/stdin" line 101: warning: Skipping data file with no valid points
Generating Range/Altitude plot...

Is this anything to be concerned about? This is when running bash polar.sh -1

Does it produce any output? I think that is complaining about the upintheair data not being available - did you alter your receiver height in the script by any chance? If so, just delete upintheair.json and let it download a new one. I think that error is because the script is not particularly robust about things not being exactly as it expects.

Itā€™s for using timelapse1090 data. You said yourself you donā€™t have that installed.

Edit: I guess it should throw more errors without any data.
The height in the script needs an annotation which units it expects :wink: