Signal Strength Heatmap

That’s OK, the address there is just for if you are running it on another machine. It only gets used then. I’ve reproduced the error on the github version, but I don’t get it on the version I’m using, so I’ll see what’s different.

Edit: @bramjacobse check if you have curl installed - the error appears to be because the upintheair.json file is 0 bytes. If curl is missing an empty file gets created.

curl -V

curl 7.64.0 (arm-unknown-linux-gnueabihf) libcurl/7.64.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1c zlib/1.2.11 libidn2/2.0.5 libpsl/0.20.2 (+libidn2/2.0.5) libssh2/1.8.0 nghttp2/1.36.0 librtmp/2.3

Release-Date: 2019-02-06

Protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher http https imap imaps ldap ldaps pop3 pop3s rtmp rtsp scp sftp smb smbs smtp smtps telnet tftp

Features: AsynchDNS IDN IPv6 Largefile GSS-API Kerberos SPNEGO NTLM NTLM_WB SSL libz TLS-SRP HTTP2 UnixSockets HTTPS-proxy PSL

OK. Is the upintheair.json file there and if so does it contain data?

Maybe this is missing:

25 #Set heywhatsthat.com site ID here:
 27 hwt=

Yeah he did that, but fixed it:

hwt=BF1Q82X9 or did i create wrong one

@caius I’m having the same problem as bramjacobse. The script was working fine until you made the changes yesterday.

pi@Test:~ $ ./polar.sh 200 10
Using disk : /home/pi
Gathering data every 10 seconds until Tue 13 Aug 14:33:39 BST 2019
Number of data points collected: 157578
Calculating Range, Azimuth and Elevation data:
awk: not an option: -i
Filtering altitudes
Processing heywhatsthat.com data:

/home/pi/upintheair.json

[Edit] I do have a upintheair.json file in /home/pi My hwt is QQCXP59B

How to get an HWT id? I looked around the HeyWhatsThat site, but didn’t see anything to sign up for. Not sure how I’m missing it, but…

sudo apt-get install gawk

Select new Panorama and submit request

Ohh… Thanks.

…and my post must be at least 20 characters to submit…

Looks fine, just tested the curl command with your id.

But maybe it didn’t download properly for you.
Have you checkted for the existence of upintheair.json?

If there is no data in there i would expect such an error.

No, that’s correct and I get data if I use that. Does upintheair.json exist, and if so does it have data in it? Do:

ls -lh upintheair.json

It should be bigger than 0 bytes.

I suspect that the problem is you have a zero byte file there. At present the script won’t check if the file is valid, so if the download failed previously that won’t correct itself. I’ll implement a change to fix that.

The file is the but 0 bytes

Yep, it seems that running the script the first time without a valid hwt id results in the creation of a 0 byte upintheair.json which persists between runs.

Remove the upintheair.json file and try again now that you’ve got the hwt id in place.

1 Like

just remove it, then it should work.

My upintheair.json was populated and ~240K. I did run the script yesterday without a valid ID by mistake. I’ve since deleted it and re-run seems OK so far.

next problem

Generating all altitudes heatmap…

Fontconfig warning: ignoring UTF-8: not a valid region tag
Generating high altitude heatmap…
“/dev/stdin” line 52: warning: Cannot find or open file “/home/pi/heatmap_high”

Generating low altitude heatmap…
“/dev/stdin” line 64: warning: Cannot find or open file “/home/pi/heatmap_low”
“/dev/stdin” line 64: No data in plot

You don’t need quotes for those characters.