Signal Strength Heatmap

I have updated the month plot script to include plots for UAT if the data is available. Thanks to fubduck for providing sample data and doing some testing.

2 Likes

When I run this it gives me heatmaps for 25-04-21 - 25-05-21 and not a plot going back a month from today (03-06-21). Am I doing something wrong? I run the script using sudo python3 monthplot.py

Thank you

Try doing control-F5 in your browser to force a reload. It’s probably showing you cached images. You also shouldn’t need to run the script with sudo, but that shouldn’t cause any problem.

Many thanks, all sorted. A great addition to graphs1090.

Time for a bump.

I noticed a while ago that all three of my heat maps stopped working on the 23rd May and but I’ve not had a chance to do any investigation until this morning (had a lot going on at home).

I automatically update the polar.sh script before I run it and I update timelapse1090 once a week so I don’t know if either of those would have caused this. The last instance it ran was the day before timelapse1090 was updated.

When I run it manually, I get the following error.

ADS-B aircraft only will be plotted
Using tmpfs : /tmp/tmp.vyOkjHGkf5
Using local archive:
Unpacking compressed data:
.gzip: /run/timelapse1090/chunk_*.gz: No such file or directory

Retrieving recent history:
.sed: can't read /run/timelapse1090/history_*.json: No such file or directory

Number of data points collected: 0
Calculating Range, Azimuth and Elevation data:
Filtering altitudes
"/dev/stdin" line 15: warning: No valid data points found in file
"/dev/stdin" line 16: undefined variable: STATS_mean

When I check, there’s nothing in /run/timelapse1090, no chunk files and no history files.

timelapse1090 is running and working.

I’m going to hazard a guess that timelapse1090 either now writes it’s temporary data somewhere else or it’s stored in ram to reduce sd-card usage.

@wiedehopf did something change back then that would cause this and @caius, is this something you’ve noticed?

Thanks chaps.

That means timelapse1090 isn’t working …

It’s looking for data in /run/dump1090-fa and should be producing errors in the system log.
A good place to check if something isn’t working :slight_smile:
Or in general, one might notice something off.
I believe it requires configuration and doesn’t automatically detect readsb.

Now will auto-detect readsb and some other dump1090 versions.

The same thing happened to me, back in May, after the the “enable_scatter” option was introduced in the graphs1090 options and set as “no” by default (…). It took me a while to figure it out, add the option to my config and change it back to “yes”.

Could it be a reason? Perhaps it does not apply in this case but …

It seems that timelapse1090 isn’t working on my main feeder but it’s working perfectly on my secondary feeder and it’s working perfectly on the MTG feeder.

I switched from dump1090-fa to readsb on the 17th July on just the main feeder but the heatmap for all three of them stopped working long before then on the 25th May.

Was that for the heatmap plots? The ones that look like this?

The enable scatter option shouldn’t affect the heatmap script, but it will for daily.sh and the comparison script as that’s where they get their data. The heatmap relies on timelapse1090 so if that’s not working right then it will throw an error.

Ahh, sorry, I’ve been confused by the previous screenshots … :sweat_smile:

Well but you put the logs from the one where timelapse1090 isn’t working.
So either put the logs of one of the other ones or fix timelapse1090 and check the logs again.

Typical isn’t it. I checked two timelapses which were both working but not the third!

Just running the polar.sh script on my loft receiver.

Interestingly, it completes without an error.

Generating Close Range altitude plot
Generating low heatmap with map overlay
Graphs available at :
http://192.168.1.182/dump1090-fa/plots/
Graphs rendered in 508 seconds

If I go to http://192.168.1.182/dump1090-fa/plots/ like it suggests, the plot shown is May 23rd.

When I look in /usr/share/dump1090-fa/html/plots the files are all dated May 23rd
When I look in /usr/share/skyaware/html/plots the files are all dated September 3rd

/edit - So I have two issues - Need to get timelapse1090 working on my main receiver with readsb and for some reason, the generated heatmap files don’t seem to be in the correct place.

The dump1090 location is probably just old data. The location the script uses was updated when skyaware was released. It looks like i failed to update the location given in the hint when the script finishes however, so sorry about that. I’ll fix it when I get home after next week.

I’ve put a workaround in place, that’s fine.

Thanks, is this something you’ll do or have already done?

I’ve just run the normal command to update timelapse1090

sudo bash -c "$(wget -q -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wiedehopf/timelapse1090/master/install.sh)"
1198 (process ID) old priority 0, new priority 10
Cloning into '/usr/local/share/timelapse1090/git'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 636, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (636/636), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (416/416), done.
remote: Total 636 (delta 217), reused 622 (delta 217), pack-reused 0
Receiving objects: 100% (636/636), 2.67 MiB | 30.00 KiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (217/217), done.
cp: cannot stat 'default': No such file or directory
[ERROR] Error in line 80 when executing: cp -n default /etc/default/timelapse1090

Yeah run again … somehow it doesn’t like the first go i’ll have to investigate why :stuck_out_tongue:

Done and it all seems to be working, thank you.

Hopefully all three heatmaps will be back there again overnight :slight_smile:

Installed this on a new device yesterday and had to trouble shoot a few issues that I had.
Here is my updated howto… Please shout if I have advices incorrect and/or something doesn’t work for you.

Step 1:
If not already running, install timelapse1090. More info: GitHub - wiedehopf/timelapse1090: timelapse web interface for dump1090-fa (using the map interface from dump1090-fa as base)

sudo bash -c "$(wget -q -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wiedehopf/timelapse1090/master/install.sh)"

(not sure this is needed but when I ran the polar.sh script I had a few issues with it not picking up data from timelapse. EDIT: I had to start timelapse but no other issues now.

sudo systemctl start timelapse1090
sudo systemctl status timelapse1090

(One of the errors was “folder not found” either when starting timelapse1090 or further down when running polar.sh, I just created that folder, “/run/timelapse1090”) EDIT: On a clean run on a new device I did not get this error.

Step2:
Download the script:

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/caiusseverus/adsbcompare/master/polar.sh

Step 3:
Make sure you have a “heywhatsthat” ID to hand for you location.
Then edit polar.sh before you run it or polar.conf if you have run the script once already.

Step 4:
Install the required software:

sudo apt install gawk
sudo apt install liblua5.3
sudo apt install gnuplot-data
sudo apt install gnuplot-nox
sudo apt install jq

Step 5:
Now run:

bash polar.sh -1

Once complete, they should be at /skyaware/plots/

(timelapse1090 by default collects data per day and then resets. So it is best to run this script say 15 minutes before midnight each night, to display max amount of positions.

For the monthplot I did:

Step 1:

sudo apt install python3-seaborn

Step 2:

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/caiusseverus/adsbcompare/master/monthplot.py

Step 3:
Give permission to write to /usr/share/skyaware/html/plots/ (google this one) :slight_smile:

Step 4:

python3 monthplot.py

Once complete, they should be at /skyaware/plots/heatmaps.html

Add to crontab to run automagically.
Step 1:

crontab -e

Step 2:
(add the lines at the end and of course test it works first with a more suitable time)

44 23 * * * bash /home/pi/polar.sh -1
05 00 * * * python3 monthplot.py

It doesn’t reset, it’s rolling over the data file so always has the last 24h in /run/timelapse1090 if it’s been running at least that long.

Really if the folder is not there, there can’t be any data collected by timelapse1090.
If you have issues with timelapse1090 not running … check the journal for that and debug it:

sudo journalctl -e -u timelapse1090 | tail -n50

Feel free to put it on pastebin if there are errors and you can’t figure it out.