Setting up Test Site

I want to set up a second system for mostly testing. I have a feeder running that I backed up (imaged) and copied to a second system. This is the latest Stretch Lite dated 3/13/18 .I changed the ip address and host name but how do I erase the feeder ID so that Flight aware will assign it a new ID. I’d rather not start from scratch since I already have made lots of little changes to the OS and added some utilities.

Thanks

That may work when you download an image, but when you install piaware on an already existing os does not. it just goes back to a command prompt.

Thanks for trying.

@kg4pid
@Dxista

This may help:

Change user account associated with a Piaware Receiver

That link is for a different problem. I have two receivers with the same Feeder ID since I did an image backup of the main receiver and restored it to the test receiver. I need to somehow get the Feeder ID changed (or removed) on the test receiver so FlightAware will assign it a new ID.

Maybe deleting it manually works

@kg4pid

You need to know the method to

1. Delete current feeder id.

2. Wait for Flightaware assigns new feeder id.

3. Claim new site number for 2nd Pi.

This is exactly what the method in the thread I linked tells. The only difference is that to claim 2nd Pi, you dont have to login with other person’s account. You have to remain logged in to your own account and claim.

This is exactly what the post I have linked shows: command to delete existing feeder-id.

Is that the same with both types of install, image and apt-get?

I thought that might be the problem, therefore the idea to delete the id by actually deleting it in the file it is stored in, and not by using a piaware command…

1 Like

Yes, it is applicable to both piaware image and piaware add-on install.

Additionally, in piaware image there is a file /boot/piaware-config.txt. This file by default, does NOT have feeder-id. However if some one has entered feeder id in this file manually, then deleting feeder-id by piaware-config command alone is not enough. The entry in this file will write feeder-id to piaware config every time piaware restarts or Pi reboots. In this case, the following line should also be deleted from file /boot/piaware-config.txt

feeder-id  xxxxxxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxxxxxxxxxx
1 Like

Success! When I saw the path of /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id it sounded like a temporary file (being in cache and all. I only have a limited knowledge of Linux but the systems I worked on years ago used a cache for only temporary files not permanent ones so that threw me.

Thanks all for the help.

@kg4pid
@biekerc

This discussion has proved useful. With this discussion, we found that:

Piaware saves feeder-id in following two files:

1. /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id

2. /etc/piaware.conf
    Note: Do not delete this file. It contains several config entries, one of which is feeder-id. Remove feeder-id either by editing and removing the line containing feeder-id, or by issueing command sudo piaware-config feeder-id "" .

3. Additionally, in piaware sd card image, there is possibility to store feeder-id manually in file:
    /boot/piaware-config.txt

As far as I know, this manual entry in piaware-config.txt file has precedence over the other two entries noted above, but not 100% sure. This may be confirmed by @david.baker .

On my system /etc/piaware.conf only contains this

"This file configures piaware and related software.
You can edit it directly or use piaware-config from the command line
to view and change settings.

If /boot/piaware-config.txt also exists, then settings present in
that file will override settings in this file.
/etc/piaware.conf (END)"

So this must be for the SD card image version.

@kg4pid

Thanks for the useful info.

(1) As your install in NOT piaware sd card image, whatever entry is saved in this file will NOT be overwritten.

(2) Just to test if settings made by command are saved in the file /etc/piaware.conf, give following commands:

sudo piaware-config rtlsdr-gain -10

sudo piaware-config feeder-id xxxxxxxxxxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxxxxxxxxxx

(Use actual feeder-id in place of xxxxxxxxxxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxxxxxxxxxx).

Now check the file /etc/piaware.conf

EDIT:
In order that these test settings are not implemented, do not restart piaware and do not reboot Pi. First edit the file /etc/piaware.conf and delete these test entries.

EDIT 2
OK, dont do this test. I dont want something to go wrong with your Pi. I will do it myself when I am back home, and post results.

Think your stuck with it showing. It will however disappear after 30 day of inactivity unless they changed things. But honestly if it is a test station no matter how many times you format, reboot, try things out, it will keep the same ID and not create a new receiver multiple instances of new receivers each time in your stats. Unless things changed receivers are tied to your devices MAC address.

@jprochazka

Flightaware stopped using MAC address to identify a station since July 2017.

That sucks…
Oh well is what it is I guess.

Wish I was in the room when this idea came up. Would have had much to say about that decision. Not my business though. :slight_smile:

Thanks good to know. Got something to do tomorrow!

The feeder-id is stored at 2 places.

1. The value in file /etc/piaware.conf is entered by user by command sudo piaware-config feeder-id xxxxxxxxxxxxx.
  2. The value in file /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id is written in two ways
    (a) If feeder-id value is available in this file, it is used.
    (b) By piaware at startup, if available in file /etc/piaware.conf.
    (c) If no value is available anywhere in the Pi, a brand new feeder-id is obtained by faup from Flightaware and written to file feeder-id.

Here is output from my Pi:
(Note: I have replaced actual value of 32-character alpha-numeric feeder-id by xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx)

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id
xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo cat /etc/piaware.conf
# This file configures piaware and related software.
# You can edit it directly or use piaware-config from the command line
# to view and change settings.
#
# If /boot/piaware-config.txt also exists, then settings present in
# that file will override settings in this file.
feeder-id xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx   # updated by fa_piaware_config
allow-auto-updates yes   # updated by fa_piaware_config
allow-manual-updates yes   # updated by fa_piaware_config

NOTE: The file /boot/piaware-config.txt mentioned above exists only in Piaware SD Card image. It is not available in Piaware add-on install.

I think it is useful, it is easier to keep your site id and stats when have to change hardware, especially with an image install.

1. Deleted feeder-id from both following files
    /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id
    /etc/piaware.conf

2. Rebooted, piaware logged-in as guest with a brand new feeder-id

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat /var/log/piaware.log
    Apr 10 02:18:50 raspberrypi piaware[463]: logged in to FlightAware as user guest
    Apr 10 02:18:50 raspberrypi piaware[463]: my feeder ID is 33614987-b294-480e-a4c6-f030d65f5231

1. Checked both files to see where the new feeder-id is saved, found in file /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id. No feeder-id in file /etc/piaware.conf

2. Gave command sudo piaware-config feeder-id xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx using my regular feeder-id, then checked both files, found file piaware.conf now contains regular feeder-id, and file feeder-id contains guest feeder id.

3. Restarted piaware sudo systemctl restart piaware, and checked again both files, found file feeder-id now also has regular feeder id instead of guest feeder id. The feeder-id (guest) in file feeder-id was overwritten by feeder id (regular) which was in file piaware.conf

Conclusion: