Raspbery PI 3 and piaware

Has anyone got a Rpi-3 to work with piaware?

Only on a fresh Jessie with the piaware and dump1090 add-ons.
The current Piaware SD card runs wheezy. It does not support the RPI3.
They should have a new version soon.

Try Joe’s scripts. They build a Jessie version in about 10-20 mins
ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/ads-b-feeder-receiver-setup-scripts-t36532.html
The scripts allow other feeders to be installed in one go. It uses a much better version of dump1090(dev version)
The scripts also install a nice set of graphs.

He even has an Image you can use to make things faster.

Yes, I do. Runs fine.

I’m running Pi 3 with Flightaware/fr24/Mutability. So far no issues.

Yes, RPi3 here built using the scripts Jon mentioned. Works just fine.

FlightAware now has a Jessie SD Card of PiAware 2.1-5, which adds support for the Raspberry Pi 3: piaware.flightcdn.com/piaware-je … -5.img.zip

The new image not only has a newer Raspbian that supports the Pi 3, but it’s also less than half the size of the last PiAware SD card image (368MB vs 948MB).

Our next release of PiAware (PiAware 3.0, April) will take advantage of more Pi 3 features and make the entire process easier. Additionally, once the Pi 3 is more readily and reliably available, we’ll be modifying the PiAware build instructions to instruct new folks to by a PI 3.

Thanks to everyone for their continued support. Please spread the word about PiAware!

I keep seeing references to the new 3.0 FA image coming next month… Is there a list of expected changes, and do you need Beta testers?

Cheers!
LitterBug

Have RPi3, will beta

You can see a couple of the FA staff testing PiAware (SD Card) 2.2.0~dev and FlightFeeder 7.0~dev (with MLAT support)

+1 for Beta testing. I have RPI 1/2/3s. Pro stick due tomorrow.

:frowning: I hate to be the dumbest person on this site…but I think I am. I downloaded and installed the software onto a new micro SD card, and ran it on a brand new Pi 3. It loads and goes straight to the program with login and password. How do I get the Pi to see the wifi internet connection first? I can’t seem to exit out of the program to do the intial setup. Yes, dumber than a rock.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

jim

Stop trying to horn in on my spot! :wink: Jim, I’m afraid I’m not going to be much help with a wifi interface on a Linux system, but I have a couple of questions to ask that might help whoever is able to stop by and assist. You’re talking about loading the piaware jessie 2.1.5 image right? When you say “it loads and goes straight to the program with login and password”, which program are you referring to? Do you have the RPi3 connect to the network via a Cat5 (wired) connection at this point? Again which program are you saying you need to exit from?

Can you post a camera phone pic of the screens?

Sorry for the delay getting back to everyone. I have it now connected directly to the router via Cat-5 cable to the Pi 3, with the same results. I double-checked passwords and log-in to here - I’m thinking same for piaware?

Well, I’ve made some progress! With the Pi3 hard-wired to the router, I can now login and change my password. I’ve also had success with update and upgrade and all is good there. I’m now at the ‘pi@piaware’ and can configure a few things. But any advice on getting to the onboard wifi, so i can configure that? And then, configuring the rtl-sdr device and then getting the program running.

Many thanks as always

I’m still no help with RPi’s and wifi. But…
To configure rtl-sdr, I’m guessing you are talking about tweaking dump1090 parameters. If you are running dump1090-mutability, you can edit /etc/default/dump1090-mutability.
sudo vi or some prefer nano sudo nano where filename is the /etc/default/dump1090-mutability file.

A couple of commands that may be helpful are…
sudo piaware-status This will tell you what’s running/connected (piaware, dump1090 or dump1090-mutability, etc.) relevant to feeding FA.
sudo netstat -ntap can help debug port connection issues.

Success! Turns out I had a non-functional cat-5 cable I was using. Changed cables, ran some diagnostics, and it’s up and running.

More to come, now need to have the monitor viewing all the data! (and get the wifi working on the Pi3…hmmm…)

Thanks everyone for their help and input.

Jim

DBaker,
Is there an update on the PiAware 3.0 release date?

Cheers!
LitterBug

Looking like later this month, sorry.

I setup my RPi3 with the latest Raspbian and Joe’s scripts for about 3 weeks.

I finally switched back to my RPi2 running Raspbian yesterday due to my stats having fallen off a cliff in the interim. They are back to previous levels as of this morning.

You can see the stats from both my Pis on my profile. Nothing other than the Pi has been swapped/moved in the last 2-3 months.

Anyone else had this happen?

We need some details.
21756 seems to have stopped MLAT about 1 week ago. I see another drop off around April 16th.
Both seem to have very low numbers.

What are the setups? Dongles, Filter, OS, Dump1090 version, cables, Antenna?
I suspect a coax or Antenna issue as your numbers are way down on the beginning of April.

Pi3: (21756)
Dongles - NooElec dongle about 1.5 years old
No Filter
Antenna - Switched to a whip style antenna about a year ago as I was getting better #s with it, than the stock antenna.
Dump1090-mutability installed via jprochazka scripts on github

Pi2: (23283)
Same setup for Dongles, filters & Antennas
Dump1090-mutability installed via mutability repo, manually installed piaware.

Pi2 was running since about Jan/Feb after I replaced my Original Pi B that died. It “died” around the 22nd of April & I swapped in the Pi3, but my numbers have been dismal. Plus, as you mentioned MLAT seems to have gone dead a couple of days ago.

Noticed the Pi2 (currently active in my account) was now booting up just fine when I went to fix it over the weekend, so I swapped it back in yesterday…numbers are looking up to March levels when I checked this morning.