Ok guys, I’ve got a question that I have the answer to, but wanted to confirm for reasons that there might be something I’m missing or havent thought of.

I have a ppl, with about 600 hrs in fws and some complex time, my boss pays me to be a property mgr of his properties. We’ve tossed around the idea of buying an aircraft. IF it comes to fruition, do I need to have a CPL to fly him around in HIS aircraft?

*Sec. 61.113 - Private pilot privileges and limitations: Pilot in command.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b) through (g) of this section, no person who holds a private pilot certificate may act as pilot in command of an aircraft that is carrying passengers or property for compensation or hire; nor may that person, for compensation or hire, act as pilot in command of an aircraft.

(b) A private pilot may, for compensation or hire, act as pilot in command of an aircraft in connection with any business or employment if:

(1) The flight is only incidental to that business or employment; and

(2) The aircraft does not carry passengers or property for compensation or hire.*

Based on this, as how I have always understood…the answer is no. How will insurance affect this? On him as the owner? With me, I’m sure it would be just as if I was renting like “renters insurance” . Do I stand corrected?

Ok, first, what the hell is a “fws” ???

Short answer is this, if the owner is paying you to be his property manager, and you don’t get payed specifically for being his pilot, then yes, you could do it legally. Using his aircraft to visit properties is incidental to the business, not the sole purpose. If he payed you to do nothing but fly the airplane, that’s when you would need the commercial.

(fws…fixed wing singles… my acronym.) 8)

I felt that was the case. But, I had a few “sea lawyers” tell me different.
Thanks for helping me confirm it.

The underwriter that writes the insurance for the aircraft you purchase will be the ultimate authority as to what license you’ll need.

You can be completely legal as far as the FAA is concerned and the underwriter can stipulate they want you to have your CPL, or 1K hours total, or 100 hours in type, or be IFR rated, or…

None of the above are likely, but if you purchase a complex aircraft they’ll, at the least, want to review your recent experience.

FAR wise you do not need a commercial lic.

That will be a lot of fun (for your boss) when he calls you up on Saturday afternoon to go on a trip.

you really dont NEED to have a CPL, you technicaly could fly the boses CJ wherever he wants, provided you had the appropriate type rating. So long as there was no money transfered for the flying, then simply charge what you want for “doing the books” is how it was explained to me when i was learning to fly. not the greatest advice but its legal. Use your aeronoautical decision making to make the safest most unquestionable decision. Keeping you and your boss out of trouble. When all is said and done, if you get caught or not you have to ask youself, “is it worth my certificate?”