Question about a turbo prop

Is their a difference in a single engine piston license and a sinlge turbo prop license

Nope… Single Engine Land or Single Engine Sea is just that, regardless of the powerplant.

Maybe in India

Only if it weighs over 12,500

That’s a BIG piston single!

You called?

That’s exactly what i was thinking. But it “only” weighs 12k.

Throughout history of great Soviet Motherland this airplane never flew without a full load of black market Vodka guaranteed to put it closer to 24k!

Seriously, I had occasion to fly on two of these during the Soviet era and both of them were packed like clown cars. Not to mention the freight.

I expressed my reservations on the first trip to my minder, his response was along the lines of “No problem, we have much runway”. And that’s precisely what the pilot did, he used damn near every bit of the runway although we had lifted off within seconds of beginning our takeoff roll at a speed of about 30MPH. We used the remainder of the approx. 10K foot strip to gain some very much needed altitude.

Seems to be a favorite technique with the Reds!

Russian 11-76 take-off - YouTube)

“We have Smirnoff!”

I’ve always loved that video.

I know the 12,500 rule, but for some reason I couldn’t find it anywhere in FAR 61.31…Is is located somewhere else? Or is a “large aircraft” defined as anything with a max taxi weight over 12,500lbs?

Additionally, from the looks of it a type would be required for the new VLJs which are slowly making their way into the market. This is a good thing though…SEL Private Pilot with no prior jet training as PIC in a VLJ is an accident waiting to happen.

"Sec. 61.31

Type rating requirements, additional training, and authorization requirements.

(a) Type ratings required. A person who acts as a pilot in command of any of the following aircraft must hold a type rating for that aircraft:
(1) Large aircraft (except lighter-than-air).
(2) Turbojet-powered airplanes.
(3) Other aircraft specified by the Administrator through aircraft type certificate procedures."

A Large Aircraft is defined as an aircraft with a maximum take off weight greater than 12,500 pounds. And regardless of this, and FAR 61.31, it doesn’t change this answer to the OP’s question.

Nope… Single Engine Land or Single Engine Sea is just that, regardless of the powerplant.

Right…I’m not challenging it…I was just wondering if “large aircraft” = 12,500 lbs.

Sorry…it wasn’t my intent to be pointed toward you.

But yes, Large Aircraft = >12,500 max T/O wt.

To recap;

The term “single engine license” is a bit vague since there is no such thing. Technically that is. For instance there is a Private Pilot license with a single engine land category rating on it. As has been pointed out a few aircraft will also require a type rating in addition to the category rating. This also only applies in the U.S. since quite a few countries require a type rating regardless of aircraft weight.

A lot of countries also issue a new license every year. Fly your J3 to your local licensing branch just after retirement from an airline job with a third class medical and last years ATP/B747/J3 license but no current 747 check ride and you will walk out with a Private Pilots license with a J3 type rating.
Some inspectors outside the US don’t realize there is a difference in licensing rules. Hence the confusion over whether FAA licensed pilots flying a US registered airplane under part 91 need a first class medical when flying overseas.

License: Private Pilot
Category: Single Engine Land
Type: Boomerang 69

Actually, don’t you mean CERTIFICATE???

Sorry, had to do it. It has been a while since someone brought that entertaining discussion up…

LOL, had to go dig mine out. It actually doesn’t say one way or the other. It just says I’m qualified to be a pylut, pilut, er, aviation expert.

BLITZER? Is that you? We’ve missed you!

THANK YOU!! I can’t stand it when certificated pilots refer to it as a “license” It’s a certificate.

Also we use charts NOT maps.

Deja Vu …I gotta hit the head and jump in the rack, good night.