"Prod" and "Dev" PiAwares - feeder_id heads up

Like most folks who have spent their entire working life in IT, I have a “production” PiAware with antenna on the roof etc, and a “development” PiAware for testing. :slight_smile:

I need to document a process for moving the SD cards between Dev and Prod. I used to just spoof the MAC address or not in cmdline.txt to preserve the MAC address of my very first production PiAware. So though it has been trial and error with this feeder_id number business.

The most recent problem was using the Dev machine. Even though I commented out the production feeder_id in piaware-config.txt, it still did not assign a new feeder_id. In fact, it used the production one. That meant I had two stations with the same feeder_id providing data to FA. It took me a few minutes to figure this one out. As the smarter folks on this group will know, I forgot to erase /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id to force a new one to be generated.

So, when moving images between machine, perhaps I need to have both dev and prod feeder_ids in piaware-config.txt. And comment out the one I’m not going to use. And also remember to erase /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id.

The dev box isn’t always the same Pi. So I may have to have to do the same thing with the two MAC addresses in the Force_Mac_address parm too?
I don’t really care about stats on the dev box of course, but I would like the prod machine to continue with the same stats.

What have I missed?

Thanks,
…john

That + reboot is all you have to do. The feeder_id is now “Unique Identifier” (format xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx) from your stats page.

When changing machines, mac address spoof in cmdline.txt or “force mac address” in piaware-config is not required any more.
It is only “Unique Identifier” (format xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx) which determines user & site number.

For details, please see step 5 (c) here: post206001.html#p206001