Post your PiAware setup

Tom,

Not sure that what I see is a vent pipe which is doubling for your antenna mast.

If it is, you should remove the yellow cap.

hi chris,

thanx for being aware :slight_smile: but no - this is just the cap of the extension i bought and that sits on top of the very short pole of the satellite dish.

and even smaller …

3 Likes

@TomMuc
Elegant, künstlerisch, zart, fabelhaft :+1::clap::butterfly::rose:

1 Like

hahaha - vielen dank fuer die blumen abcd :grinning:
p.s. and inexpensive - pi zero w 10$, case 10$, dongle 20$, battery 10$, antenna+cables 15$ => 65$

Living at a top floor apartment (60 meters high). Just started with the optimized whip antenna, will make/buy a stronger one soon. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

cool :slight_smile: this was my first pi case, had the same ‘abcd’ modified antenna only difference my nooelec-dongle was light-blue and i used a small pink candy box where the magnetic antenna was mounted on

1 Like

Haha nice! Yeah kudos to abcd567, the modification increased my coverage big time.

1 Like

I have a pi3 running for capture and then use VRS on my windows machine to ease the load that using the PiAware Skyview brings about for some reason on my raspi. I left the browser open for an extended period of time 1 day and came back to a seized up raspi. It might not be correlated but since I stopped using the skyview page I have had no issues. The raspi still feeds flightaware and shares data with vrs when I have it running on my windows pc.

I don’t always keep VRS running as the range graphing is persistent and what I was mainly interested in using that certain feature. The photos of aircraft is also a nice feature in VRS. I simply put the VRS server offline when I don’t want to use it

1 Like

for what it’s worth - finally found time to install the splitter in receiver-chain …

1 Like

Can you post statistics before and after the installation of the splitter?

nope - because there was like here Swapped my RPi3 for a pi0W and destroyed my range! [SOLVED] - #6 by TomMuc nearly zero to document. of course i saw minimal decrease in messagerate (maybe 1-2%) as the both dongles feed back a little noise. but the -3,2 db the splitter reduces signal-strength behind the +15db the lna amplifies is not worth to mention. it’s nearly all about snr and that stays easily good enough for mode-s.

but you can see the statistics here: http://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/TomMuc#stats-60978
splitter was installed today 27. sept. 2017 10:00-11:00 mesz (08:00-09:00 utc) and did some reboots over the day

1 Like

Hey all, first post here… I wanted to compare the performance between my indoor station and outdoor antenna so I have placed the FA ADSB Antenna onto a tripod outside on the 12th floor roof of my work’s office tower. I’m an IT guy so we own that tripod and those are wifi bridges. Both my stations are in Vancouver, running on Raspberry Pi’s and the FA Pro Stick with built in Filter.

Outdoor station: https://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/trek604#stats-73706
Indoor station: https://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/trek604#stats-10477

4 Likes

Here’s my air-mobile feeder setup.
The aerodrome that I frequently fly has the coverage from ~1000ft and above. This setup brings it down to ground.

4 Likes

i bet you dont get many birds sitting up there