Pilot hits house, crashes plane then gets up and drives home

Pilot hits house, crashes plane then gets up and drives back home . . .

Here is a wacky story from the aviation world; a pilot was flying his Cessna towards an air strip at the private Brookeridge Airport near Chicago, when something went wrong.

During his approach, he clipped a house, crashed into some trees and flipped his plane upon impact.

Luck was clearly temporarily on his side, because he was able to walk away, get into a car and drive back home.

When the police visited him at his residence, he was charged with operating a plane while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. After a brief visit to the hospital, the local Sheriff placed him under arrest and he is currently being held on a $100,000 bond.

Of course, it will be interesting to see how the police plan to prove he was drunk when he crashed as I’m sure it is not impossible that he had a stiff drunk to relax after being in a nasty plane crash!

DEBUG MODE

Very strange!

Unable to reply!

I’d be drunk if I crashed and then drove home. BREAK OUT THE RUM!

Is that the same airport where a year ago the guy landed at the country club b/c his son was late for tennis lessons?

LINK

why wouldn’t he have reported that to the FISDO right when it happened? I agree though, it’s bull $hit the police were trying to give him an “FUI”.

It’s because local cops have this attitude that they can do anything, even if it is clearly a federal and not local matter. It’s the same thing as these local yokels of politicians determining that they can take the money from the feds but then run their airport as they see fit (e.g. absurd noise restrictions) and tax aircraft.

Just had this all explained to me in great detail after a certain aerobatic pilot was busted for DWI at Oshkosh. In many states, NY and CA in particular, the laws against driving under the influence pertain to all motor vehicles, including aircraft, riding mowers, farm tractors, construction equipment, boats, etc. so no BS involved, the local gendarmes are completely within their rights to write him up.

After that its for a judge to decide whether or not an infraction occurred. Given the scenario, they’ll have a difficult time to prove his state at the time of the accident.

Dude try Oregon- My buddy got a DUI while PUSHING his bicycle on the sidewalk. Portland Police are the worst

There’s no way they can carge him for flying while intoxicated, their case will fall apart in court due to the fact that nobody can prove what state he was in at the time of the crash. However, they could charge him with wreckless operation of a motor vehicle, leaving the scene of an accident (maybe he stole the car to drive home?) plus he will be hit with a civil lawsuit for property damage. He may be able to escape the intox charge, but he is still in a world of hurt.

Was that really a DUI charge, or was it a Drunk and Disorderly?

Which is exactly what I wrote above, and in fact they can charge him with whatever the hell they want, including picking his toes in Poughkeepsie.

What they can make stick in a court of law is another matter.

That’s funny. Was he just expecting to leave the burden on the owners of the house? :laughing: Of course, he was intoxicated.

terrible…

Ahh, the wonders of the court system. :unamused:

Maybe he was in shock :open_mouth: and disoriented :confused: or perhap embarassed :blush: and a little sad :cry: that he crashed his plane, so he split!

This happened to me last night. When I saw that I had duplicate entries, I deleted them. Had to do it one at a time starting with the last one I did but eventually all 6 duplicate entries were deleted. Wonder if it had something to do with the hacking that the forum received yesterday.

Still happening. I suggest that if anyone makes a post, ignore the debug error and reenter the discussions to verify your posting.

:open_mouth:

When I read that part, I took it the wrong way.

So no to alcohol! :laughing:

Re-read my entry. Instead of

Still happening. I suggest that if anyone makes a post, ignore the debug error and reenter the discussions to verify your posting.

I should have said
Still happening. I suggest that if anyone makes a post, ignore the debug error**, exit the discussions, and then go back into the** discussions to verify your posting.

I second the idea that Damiross decided to stop at a wendy’s in his GA, flipped his plane and drove home. “Happened to me last night”. :laughing:

What about practicing Aero-acrobatics without a license?