[OUTDATED] Piaware ver 6 with Adaptive Gain Control - Install it on x86_64 Machines with Ubuntu 20, Debian 10 &11, and on RPi 2, 3, 4 with Raspbian Buster (32-bit and 64-bit) and DietPi Bullseye (32-bit & 64-bit)

Hey, when my next N2+ arrives, I am going to set up using your auto gain scripts with a prostick plus, to compare with the recent airspy auto gain developments. But I want to also feed flightradar24 from it. Can you point to the script install to add FR24 to your setup??

FR24 has only armhf, amd64 and i386 packages.
They dont have arm64 package (yet).

Depends what is supported by N2’s OS.

The 64 bit Raspbian on Pi 4 supports both arm64 and armhf architectures, as shown below:

$ dpkg --print-architecture
arm64

$ dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
armhf

Therefore Flightradar24’s armhf package can be installed on both the (Pi4+ 64-bit Raspbian) and (Pi4+32-bit Raspbian) by their standard bash-script given below:

sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh)"

Ahh ok, thanks for that. I like the (yet) part, obviously you believe that this may come along. But other than that, using a prostick out of a N2+ with the appropriate OS shouldn’t be a problem with your adaptive gain?

Cant say. Neither have N2 to test, nor got any feed-back from any N2 owner about it.

1 Like

Well a N2 running your adaptive gain scripts, using a Prostick plus. However, tried installing wiedehopf’s graphs to monitor the adaptive gain and I know there has been a lot of modifying that graph system, with the airspy project currently running and the current download for the graphs, is not working with this adaptive gain. Any suggestions??

1 Like

Sorry, fixed. Missed last step re problem with his graphs and Ubuntu 20 OS. working now

1 Like

The Adaptive Gain is by Oliver Jowett (@obj), and not by me.

I have only written the bash-script to build and install dump1090-fa using source code authored by Oliver (@obj) and available at Flightaware’s Github Repository.

What are the outputs of these two commands?

dpkg --print-architecture  

dpkg --print-foreign-architectures  

arm64

root@odroid:~#

1 Like

@jlb56

To install FR24 armhf feeder, try this:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture armhf 

## Update apt
sudo apt-get update 

## Check 
dpkg --print-foreign-architectures 

Last command above should output armhf.

Now run FR24 bash script to install their feeder fr24feed:armhf

sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh)"

The result for the foreign enq was armhf. Tried your next script, got errors, but before posting, isn’t that last script the RPI install for FR24??

it is said “install_fr24_rpi.sh” because it was originally designed for RPi, but should install on any board with armhf/arm64 cpu, provided it’s OS’s repository can provide dependencie’s 32-bit packages.

As RPi’s current OS is basically Debian Buster, you may try Armbian Buster instead of Ubuntu to make your Ordoid operationally similar to RPi.

https://www.armbian.com/odroid-n2/

https://redirect.armbian.com/odroidn2/Buster_current

Yes that is what I am thinking re other issues with Ubuntu OS. I shall advise. Now currently have the FA prostick attached. Could I attach an airspy to this and try the adaptive gain with that??

I have no idea about AirSpy (I dont have one). Better ask in AirSpy thread.

I am successfully running ver 6.1 and FR24 on an Odroid N2 under Armbian. Adaptive gain seems to be working ok with my FA RTL Prostick, my understanding is that FA adaptive gain will not work with an AirSpy Rx.

Thanks, I thought the airspy might not like adaptive gain, just a thought. Changing over to buster now and will use ABCD’s scripts above to try FR24

You’re not grasping how dump1090-fa / airspy_adsb interact.
dump1090-fa has no gain to adjust because it isn’t controlling the SDR but rather only receiving data via the network.
The settings regarding gain are preobably just ignore in that case.

FR24 feed working. FULL STOP END OF STATEMENT. With Armbian buster adaptive gain set up, thanks, now to compare with the airspy auto gain project.

Gain settings are only important with the decoder.
The data going to other feed clients is not affected by it.

Just for you. Go back and see the edit so you don’t get confused again.