FlightAware Discussions

PiAware suddenly not working

Hello

My Pi3 piAware has been down for a few days. I don’t know much about it as I installed it years ago and it’s been working fine.

I’ve found a command online, and this doesn’t look good :-

pi@piaware:~$ systemctl status dump1090
● dump1090.service
Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
Active: inactive (dead)

What are the next steps for this?

If it worked before then it could be a dead SD card. Did you try a reboot?

Yeah tried loads of reboots.
The OS must be loading from the SD card surely? As I can log in via Putty on the IP address I set and with the default piaware credentials.

did you try running the command with root permissions (sudo)?

The error sounds like dump1090-fa is simply not installed.
Please let us know a little more about your setup. Which Raspbian version, which Piaware version, which dump1090 version etc.

I have no idea about any of the questions you have asked to be honest. Like I said, I’m no expert on this, I just set it up years ago. When I time I will try and reinstall the whole thing. Why would dump 1090 suddenly not be installed?

What do you mean by “down”, exactly?

Try “systemctl status dump1090-fa”

Also, look in /var/log/piaware.log for any problems.

I believe this was an SD card issue. I built a new SD card and it working fine now. However, is SSH disabled by default? I cannot SSH or Telnet to it.

Yes, SSH and WiFi is probably disasbled by default also on Piaware image. But somebody needs to confirm it.

After flashing, create an empty file named SSH in root and access is enabled.

That should be /boot which is the fat formatted partition that is still readable on windows after flashing.

3 Likes

ehm, yes. /boot is absolutely correct.

I meant the root of the device once you flashed it and it appears in windows file manager which is then /boot.

Sorry for misunderstanding.

I’d recommend to start your own topic and describe the issue.