PiAware on Pi3 crashes

Yeah there is something strange going on with the network, ping working but ssh not. Normally you get in via ssh yes?
One solution would be to let it run with the monitor already attached so maybe it works when it will hang. Maybe not even necessary to leave it switched on it’s worth a try i think :).

Turning on persistent logging might be useful but even that might not get you closer to a solution.
One thing you can try is just making a fresh image and this time not update (sounds a little strange but hey)

How can I tell if I can’t SSH or see anything on a monitor connected to the Pi?
Indeed, how can I restart dump1090 without power cycling?

Can you restart it through the FA control panel?

I was seeing that same error myself. In my case, it appears to have been solved by increasing the Wi-Fi router power. I never leave it at default, which is usually 100%. Mine was set to 50% when the problem was occurring. Since increasing the power to 70%, no new occurrences.

Is your Pi too far from the router?

Not while that error is present, if using Wi-Fi.

I used to use an HDMI connection to a TV but have recently enabled SSH in the hope of resolving this.
SSH works when data is being uploaded.
I was considering a fresh install.

This is the easiest and best solution for hard to debug problems.

Hello Dxista

I’m connected by Ethernet and have been since embarking on this voyage.

Ok…I missed that detail.

Re-image the SD card then.

Which OS image you are currently using?
Raspbian Jessie image
Raspbian Stretch image
Ubuntu Mate image
Piaware SD card image
Something else

Hello abcd567
2018-04-18-raspbian-stretch, with updates as of last Sunday.

This OS should not give any problems with Pi 3. Posibbly a corrupted install of OS or the piaware and dump1090-fa. Other possibilty is hardware.

Better try a fresh install of latest OS (2018-06-27) image and piaware+dump1090-fa package install.

Again a similar event.

https://discussions.flightaware.com/uploads/short-url/qt37LQSkucnG8V18UjzN2rw3d48.PNG

I can see the local connectio

It now uploads after running
sudo piaware-status
Very strange.

There is some problem with the network connection for sure.

If you are running wifi as well just try using wifi instead of ethernet.

There were some bugs with the network drivers that should be corrected by now but you never know.

Or try a different port in your switch?

Are you running other devices on the switch then try swapping ports with one that you know works :slight_smile:

Hello wiedehopf
Connected directly to the modem last night at about 20:00.
So far OK.

Edited: I can’t type…

Direct connection bypasses a 16 port Netgear switch and a SamKnows whitebox.
Worked OK yesterday. I will leave it for a few days before introducing the bypassed units, one at a time.

USB hub now powered from battery bank too.
It did loose connection on Friday, but that may have been an iffy micro USB power connection, which is now swapped out.
Only the VDSL modem is powered directly from the mains.
If it looses the server again, it is definitely rebuild time.

Rebuilt the system and all was well until a power cut while I was away which flattened the power bank.
Rebuild rime again…

@Humpfrey
What exactly are you rebuilding?

Also not quite clear why you are not powering the pi from the mains? As in a proper power supply?
(If you want a really rock solid power supply and are comfortable with mains wiring i would get for example a “meanwell” one or some other kind which is cabled by the user. But i believe you can also find a proper wall wart that supplies good power per micro usb, maybe someone else can recommend something on the american market was it?)

What are you using the USB hub for?

Sorry I mean’t I had to get access to the PI, re-install Raspbian and go through the setup again. Thank you for your help yesterday.
The Pi 3 is powered by a lithium battery pack which is in turn powered from an AC/DC power adapter.
I live in a small village with overhead power lines, so power cuts are not unusual but normally not for hours and hours.
The USB hub is also powered by the same method and takes some of the load off of the Pi 3.
I’m in the UK.