Piaware fails to log in after restore from backup - HELP!

@garylovesbeer
First of all glad to see your post after a long period. Last time I remember to see your post was in Planefinder forum.

1. Go to your stats page
    https://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/garylovesbeer

and copy your Unique Identifier (see screenshot below)

2. Give command
    sudo piaware-config feeder-id xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

where xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx is the Unique Identifier you have copied from your Flightaware stats page.

If the command is executed successfully, it will rerturn following

Set feeder-id to xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx in /etc/piaware.conf:9

3. Restart piaware for implementing feeder id
    sudo systemctl restart piaware

4. Wait 10 minutes, then give following command to check status
    sudo systemctl status piaware -l

If it is feeding Flightaware, last few lines will be like following:

9 msgs recv'd from dump1090-fa; 9 msgs sent to FlightAware
    63 msgs recv'd from dump1090-fa (54 in last 5m); 63 msgs sent to FlightAware
    69 msgs recv'd from dump1090-fa (6 in last 5m); 69 msgs sent to FlightAware

5. Check Status on your Flightaware stats page https://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/garylovesbeer

1 Like

Hi abcd567! Thanks for remembering! Life been a little hectic lately - and have had no real issues up until now but have been lurking occasionally on all thee forums.

I had a good look through the forums before I posted so had already tried that command.

Results

pi@piaware:~$ sudo piaware-config feeder-id 3d7f7167-346d-43ec-a805-33dcfdbfca43
piaware-config options:
-user value specify the user name of a valid FlightAware account <>
-password interactively specify the password of the FlightAware account
-autoUpdate value 1 = allow FlightAware to automatically update software on my Pi, 0 = no <>
-manualUpdate value 1 = allow me to trigger manual updates through FlightAware, 0 = no <>
-mlat value 1 = allow multilateration data to be provided, 0 = no <>
-mlatResults value 1 = send multilateration results to localhost:30004, 0 = no <>
-mlatResultsFormat value format(s) to generate mlat results in, ‘default’ to reset to the default format <>
-start attempt to start the ADS-B client
-stop attempt to stop the ADS-B client
-restart attempt to restart the ADS-B client
-status get the status of the ADS-B client
-show show config file
– Forcibly stop option processing
-help Print this message
-? Print this message

I think the problem is the install is a very old version and logs into Flightaware using the MAC address for id. What intrigues me is I have tried 2 different restores from 2 separate dates with the same result.

Might have to reinstall…

BTW hope you and your family have a great Festive season!

BTW /tmp/piaware.out contains this line

12/21/2017 20:12:33 piaware version 2.1-5 is running, process ID 16697

then falls over.

Thanks for greetings. Season’s Greetings to you and family.

Give following command and post output generated:

apt-cache policy piaware

cat /etc/os-release

Hi abcd, thx for the great help!

pi@piaware:~$ apt-cache policy piaware
piaware:
Installed: 2.1-5
Candidate: 3.5.3
Version table:
3.5.3 0
500 http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/ jessie/piaware armhf Packages
*** 2.1-5 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
pi@piaware:~$

pi@piaware:~$ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy)”
NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux”
VERSION_ID=“7”
VERSION=“7 (wheezy)”
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
ANSI_COLOR=“1;31”
HOME_URL=“http://www.raspbian.org/
SUPPORT_URL=“RaspbianForums - Raspbian
BUG_REPORT_URL=“RaspbianBugs - Raspbian

Hope that helps (both of us).

Cheers

You need to upgrade piaware before it will work. 2.1-5 is no longer supported. That version didn’t even know about feeder-ids.

https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/install

1 Like

Both the OS and piaware are too old.
The clean solution is a fresh install (i.e. format the USB memory stick, and install latest Raspbian and all other software).

You can install dump1090-mutability (or dump1090-fa) + piaware + planefinder data feeder + flightradar24 data feeder + performance graphs using Automated method given here:

ADS-B Receiver Project Setup Scripts

NOTE:
If you choose to install dump1090-mutability on Raspbian Stretch, you will face following bug:

Map does not show planes, and give following warning:

Reason: dump1090-mutability fails to open DVB-T due to missing rtl-sdr.rules.

Workaround (AFTER installation of dump1090-mutability v1.15~dev):

sudo wget -O  /etc/udev/rules.d/rtl-sdr.rules "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/osmocom/rtl-sdr/master/rtl-sdr.rules"

sudo reboot

Bit like me then - too old!!!

I still wonder why it worked fine until the disk corrupted. Very strange.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

See you next year!

@garylovesbeer
Please have a look here:
Raspberry Pi Forums: STICKY: How to upgrade a Wheezy image to Jessie

If it is of any help, long ago I decided to separate the RasPi apps onto their own boxes. So, I have one that runs the ADSB stuff like FlightAware, FR24, adsbexchange etc. Then another Pi for some temperature monitoring, and another for webserving, another for Kodi, and two more for DNS (PiHole) …don’t tell my wife I bought so many! But really, they are so inexpensive it was just easier from a software upgrading standpoint to separate them.

1 Like

@garylovesbeer

(A) Upgrading from Wheezy to Jessie

To test the method of upgrading from Wheezy to Jessie, I did following:

1. Downloaded wheezy from:
    Index of /raspbian/images/raspbian-2015-05-07

2. Wrote wheezy image to microSD card

3. Successfully upgraded to Jessie using method here:

Raspberry Pi Forums: STICKY: How to upgrade a Wheezy image to Jessie

During this trial upgrade, I noted following two things:

1. For creating folder autostart the command given in the raspberrypi forum is:
    mkdir /home/pi/.config/autostart

This command fails as (1) sudo is missing, and (2) folder .config in path to folder autostart does not exist.

Use following command, in which argument -p creates any folders in path if it does not exist. A better alternative to -p is -pv which announces all the directory created, so that you can see what directories are created.

sudo mkdir -p /home/pi/.config/autostart

OR better

sudo mkdir -pv /home/pi/.config/autostart

2. Newly created folder .config is not listed when ls or dir command are issued. However command cd /home/pi/.cofig moves prompt to folder .config

(B) Upgrading Piaware from 2.1 to 3.5.3 (After successful upgrade from Wheezy to Jessie)

1. First purge the existing old version 2.1-5 of Piaware

sudo dpkg --purge piaware

2. Once purging is completed, install Piaware 3.5.3 by following commands given on page PiAware - dump1090 ADS-B integration with FlightAware - FlightAware

wget http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/p/piaware-support/piaware-repository_3.5.3_all.deb
    sudo dpkg -i piaware-repository_3.5.3_all.deb

This will download and install PiAware and required dependencies on your Raspberry Pi.

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install piaware

This will enable automatic and manual (web-based, via your request) PiAware software updates. These updates are disabled by default. To leave updates disabled, skip this step.

sudo piaware-config allow-auto-updates yes
    sudo piaware-config allow-manual-updates yes

3. Now set your feeder id as shown in this post:
    https://discussions.flightaware.com/t/piaware-fails-to-log-in-after-restore-from-backup-help/29355/2

Trying it right now.

Cross your fingers abcd!

Success!

Upgrade to Jessie was relatively painless. Had to upgrade sudo apt-get install libtcl8.6 to successfully install piaware 3.5.3.

To get piaware to start I had to edit sudo nano /etc/hosts and comment out
:1 localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback

as per another user who had the same error message in /var/log/piaware.log
*** buffer overflow detected ***: /usr/bin/piaware terminated

So thank you for your fantastic help abcd!

Good luck!
When yesterday I upgraded from Wheezy to Jessie, it took more than an hour to complete.

At one point it hanged for very very long time, and I had to reboot Pi and once again issue command sudo apt-get dist-upgrade. I then got responce " the dpkg process was interrupted, please try command sudo dpkg-reconfigure -a. I issued this command and after its completion, again issued command sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.

Glad it went well in the end for you! My upgrade took about 15 minutes on a RPi2.

I am a happy camper!

Now to image the USB stick as a back up.

Hope it goes for another 3 years without any hassles!

Actually I do not have any Pi with wheezy. All are either Jessie or Stretch.

The upgrade I did was not meant to fix my problem, but was meant to test the upgrade method, before I recommend it to you and others in this forum.

Only yesterday I downloaded and burned wheezy on a spare blank microSD card, and then upgraded it to Jessie to test the method.

After test, I have formatted the test microSD card, and am keeping it as reserve blank microSD card.

I dont know why mine took so long. My microSD card is class 10 with 25 Mb/sec write and 50 Mb/s read speed. Maybe your USB is 3.0 and high speed (50 Mb/sec write and 100 Mb/sec read speed), making upgrade faster.

Glad to know that you could fix it and your system is up and running again.

That is going above and beyond! Thanks again abcd for all your efforts.

PiAware version 2 systems will not be able to connect to FlightAware soon. I think the count was something around 100 sites still connected to FlightAware with the older software.

If you have any trouble upgrading or flashing a new SD image you can use the discussion boards or email flightaware at adsbsupport@flightaware.com

1 Like

@david.baker:
You are right David. Re-flashing with latest image is the cleanest, trouble free, and long-lasting solution.

The OP (original poster) had two-fold problem:

1. Piaware version 2.1-5
  2. Raspbian 7 Wheezy

As you have suggested, I also initially suggested OP to flash latest Raspbian image and install latest Piaware 3.5.3 (package install). The OP did not like this as he had many other software running on Pi and did not want to re-install everything.

In view of reluctance of OP to flash new image, I posted a method which comprised of following 3 steps:

1. Upgrade existing OS from Wheezy to Jessie WITHOUT re-imaging.
  2. Purge Piaware 2.1-5
  3. Install Piaware 3.5.3 (package install)

Please see this post for details:
https://discussions.flightaware.com/t/piaware-fails-to-log-in-after-restore-from-backup-help/29355/12

1 Like

Thanks for the advice David. And thank you abcd567.

The upgrade has gone well. I understand the purist stance however the real world dictates that hacks are sometimes necessary - and this one suited my purposes.

So again thank you abcd567.