FlightAware Discussions

PiAware 7 SD Card Image Released

Hi
I got a fresh install of piaware 7.1 but, only command line. How to get x server working ?
Thanks in advanced!
/

Here are the steps for setting up X server on a minimal environment

1 Like

The operating system Stretch isn’t capable of running on the Pi Zero 2W.
The Wifi chip is different as is the firmware in comparison to the Pi Zero.

If you try to boot the Pi Zero 2W with the card from the Pi Zero it won’t boot.

So the fastest option would be to reimage a SD card for the Pi Zero 2W

1 Like

Thanks. I got display but, nothing to do. No options.

This isn’t meant to go with a display.
It’s meant to be used via the wifi / network using the webpages.

http://127.0.0.1

You can put that in a browser on that pi and you’ll get he local webinterface.
But probably much more comfortable to do that from your regular computer (using the local IP address, not 127.0.0.1)

There is extra stuff you might want to check out like graphs1090 / tar1090, you can find links here: https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wiki/wiki/Raspbian-Lite:-ADS-B-receiver
But as the stuff you already have, it’s accessible via web pages so really no need to connect a monitor to the pi.

1 Like

I’m just comparing with buster version. I’d like something to use with VNC, with a Browser. Thanks!

Here’s a description on how to install a browser you can use with x server

i am trying to run this on a pi zero 2 w, but it freezes, or is unreachable after a couple of hours.
What can i do?
Theres only a usb dongle connected, through a powered usb hub

I am running PiAware Version: 6.1
Dump1090-fa Version: dump1090-fa 6.1~bpo8+1
Dump978-fa Version: N/A
and when I submit the upgrade request the response is the system is system is current and does not go to 7.1. Do I have to build a new SD build? Below is my log

[2022-01-15 18:32 EST] *** running command ‘/usr/lib/piaware/helpers/run-apt-get upgrade-package piaware-release’ and logging output
[2022-01-15 18:32 EST] run-apt-get(23032): Reading package lists…
[2022-01-15 18:32 EST] run-apt-get(23032): Building dependency tree…
[2022-01-15 18:32 EST] run-apt-get(23032): Reading state information…
[2022-01-15 18:32 EST] run-apt-get(23032): 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 110 not upgraded.
[2022-01-15 18:32 EST] run-apt-get(23032): Reading package lists…
[2022-01-15 18:32 EST] run-apt-get(23032): Building dependency tree…
[2022-01-15 18:32 EST] run-apt-get(23032): Reading state information…
[2022-01-15 18:32 EST] run-apt-get(23032): piaware-release is already the newest version.
[2022-01-15 18:32 EST] upgrade of piaware-release seemed to go OK

I believe that the issue is that you are still on an earlier older version of the base operating system, and that OS isn’t supported by the latest release. I am pretty sure that where your version says “6.1~bpo8+1”, that “bpo8+1” part means that your underlying OS is based on Debian Jessie (version 8), which is at least two versions back.

Ideally, you should probably just re-image with the latest PiAware image. Alternatively, you could install the latest Debian build (Bullseye, ver 11) and build everything you need from source - there are tools available from users here, especially the tutorials from @abcd567. Last choice would probably be for you to manually do a do-release-upgrade to update the OS to a later version, and then do the PiAware updates. But I thing you will find a major lack of support for that route, if it happens to go sideways.

2 Likes

Fully agree.
Re–imaging with latest SD Card image (which is bullseye based) is the easiest, cleanest, and long-term solution. I strongly recommend it.

2 Likes

That is a backport version which means you’re running an older version of the operating system. It’s highly recommended to run a full upgrade rsp. a reimage with the latest SD card build (if you don’t want the client version)

1 Like