Passengers Sought

Space pioneers wanted for 520-day Mars experiment

Tue Jun 19, 7:09 AM ET

LE BOURGET, France (AFP) - The European Space Agency (ESA) on Tuesday called for applications for one of the most demanding human experiments in space history: a simulated trip to Mars in which six “astronauts” will spend 17 months in an isolation tank on Earth.

“The selection procedure is similar to that of ESA astronauts, although there will be more emphasis on psychological factors and stress resistance than on physical fitness,” ESA said in a press release.

Men and women who think they have the right stuff can download the application form on (spaceflight.esa.int/CallforCandidates).

I’ll sign up… Wait! 17 months! That’s enough time to earn the money and get both my private and instrument tickets! No way! Get some dog first. :smiley:

What they need is someone from the interior of Alaska / " Out Port " Newfoundland or some remote village in the Canadian Arctic. These people can deal with isolation.

For the rest of us, the experiment would very quickly turn into a " Groundhog Day " senerio. Remember? With Bill Murray!

But they can’t deal with other people!

We’ll put six in but only take two survivors out…

Isn’t that how it’ll work, everyone gets voted off until the final episode?
Except getting voted off has its concequences on the way to Mars. :wink:

I think in this case it would be more like “voted out”! :slight_smile: