[OUTDATED] Piaware ver 6 with Adaptive Gain Control - Install it on x86_64 Machines with Ubuntu 20, Debian 10 &11, and on RPi 2, 3, 4 with Raspbian Buster (32-bit and 64-bit) and DietPi Bullseye (32-bit & 64-bit)

I’ve completed the upgrade steps as above for dump1090-fa and Piaware and then rebooted but my station stats and SkyAware are still showing Version 5.0?

Also what is Piaware-web? I don’t recall installing or updating this in the past

Many thanks

I have absolutely no idea about airspy_adsb and how the upgrade will affect it. You may ask this in an airspy thread.

1 Like

Seems upgrade did not succeed. You can check this by following commands. It will show which version is installed.

apt-cache policy piaware

apt-cache policy dump1090-fa

This is piaware-web

piaware:
  Installed: 6.0

dump1090-fa:
  Installed: 6.0~dev
but both systems  got  red stats 

Thanks. It says that 5.0 is installed with Candidate 6.0.

I’ve tried installing all three again but still the same. The installation seems to go fine although I get this error message towards the end:

dpkg: error: cannot access archive ‘piaware__*.deb’: No such file or directory

Please post output of ls command below:

cd piaware_builder 

ls 

And this one also

cd /~

ls 

Thanks abcd567, did the upgrade tonight.

One thing catched my eye
With upgrade and restart piaware via the flightaware page I ended up with a non modified /etc/default/dump1090-fa file ( that was still in the v5 format) so without the new options.
After running your commands I was able to update the existing config file by being given the option when installing the new v6 dump1090-fa file from the source.
After that I was able to set the adaptive gain.
Thank you for all you work in getting this documented and tested for all of us to enjoy

Is there an advantage to installing the OS and PiAware software separately versus PiAware SD card image?

Thanks, as follows

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cd piaware_builder
pi@raspberrypi:~/piaware_builder $ ls
buster common jessie README.md stretch
changelog Jenkinsfile package-buster sensible-build.sh

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cd /~
-bash: cd: /~: No such file or directory

OK, I will. Thanks. I suppose if I run your scripts I should make a copy of /etc/default/dump1090-fa and then reinstall airspy_adsb.

There is no piaware package (piaware_6.0_*.deb) in the folder piaware_builder, which means that for some reason, the script did NOT build the package.

We will try to build it manually and see the output when the lsst command below finishes:

cd piaware_builder/package-buster 

sudo sed -i 's/dh-systemd,//' debian/control

sudo dpkg-buildpackage -b --no-sign 

Oops, sorry, typo ( /~ is wrong, correct is ~/ )
Please issue this command

cd ~/ 

ls  

I would typically set the gain to 48 on the NESDR SMArt. I have a SAW filter (an NMRF FPB-1090s) and a PC board strip antenna from China that’s supposed to have 12dB of gain (though I strongly doubt if it really has that much.) The antenna’s about 6.5 meters or so off the ground mounted on an L-shaped support that sticks out of the upper part of an upstairs window, just outside of the rain gutter. I never saw nearby planes drop off of the map with max gain on that dongle.

Many thanks for your help. I’ve managed to update Piaware using the Site configuration menu via the cog wheel on my site page.

dump1090-fa won’t update. Is there any difference between 5.0 and 6.0?

Thanks again

There was an advantage yesterday, because till then v 6.0 SD card release date was not known, and with separate installation of OS and Piaware software, you could immediately get ver 6.0.

However this advantage vanished today couple of hours ago when FA released ver 6.0 SD card image.

It is the dump1090-fa ver 6.0 in which “Adaptive Gain Control” has been incorporated. With ver 5.0 you dont have it.

I am still wondering why my script for both piaware and dump1090-fa failed. The only reason I can think of is that your OS is old may be Stretch, while these scripts are designed for newer OS Buster.

What is the output of following command? It will reveal if you have Buster or Stretch.

cat /etc/os-release

It says I’m using Buster

PRETTY_NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)”
NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux”
VERSION_ID=“10”
VERSION=“10 (buster)”
VERSION_CODENAME=buster
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian

It is the dump1090-fa ver 6.0 in which “Adaptive Gain Control” has been incorporated. With ver 5.0 you dont have it.

I am still wondering why my script for both piaware and dump1090-fa failed. The only reason I can think of is that your OS is old may be Jessie or Stretch, while these scripts are designed for newer OS Buster and Bullseye.

What is the output of following command? It will reveal if you have Buster or Stretch.

cat /etc/os-release

It is the top-level landing page (with status indicators etc) installed on PiAware sdcard images

What does say in the logs when you try?

Acer W500 + Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS (64bit) = PIAWARE ver 6.0 + DUMP1090-FA ver 6.0 + Piaware-Web was updated successfully from 5.0.
Many THX !