[OUTDATED] Install Piaware 5.0 On x86_64 Machines and RPi armv7l & aarch64

Very nice, fits the bill perfectly. I ran the scripts today and ended up with a 6.0 installation.I ran into one issue on the piaware script. The old version number is hard-coded, or it seems to be, near the end of the installation. This is the output near the end of the build:

—begin output—
dpkg-genchanges: info: binary-only upload (no source code included)
dpkg-source --after-build .
dpkg-buildpackage: info: binary-only upload (no source included)
Installing piaware package
dpkg: error: cannot access archive ‘piaware_5.0-14-g6c6f0e9_*.deb’: No such file or directory
Failed to enable unit: Unit file piaware.service does not exist.
Failed to restart piaware.service: Unit piaware.service not found.

PIAWARE INSTALLATION COMPLETED
—end output—

I changed directory to ~/piaware_builder and ran sudo dpkg -i piaware_6.0_armhf.deb to complete but I don’t know if there were any commands missed after that depended on it being installed…

Thanks for the scripts! I was having issues trying to feel my way around a piaware image build on a pi 4b installed in an Argon heat sink case.

Oops, today FA has released ver 6.0, while script was meant for ver 5.0

$ cd piaware_builder
$ VER=$(git describe --tags | sed 's/^v//')
$ echo ${VER}
5.0-14-g6c6f0e9

$ git log
commit 6c6f0e9f81fd080903fa030348e2c1b410cb7583 (HEAD -> master, origin/master, origin/HEAD)
Author: eric1tran <eric1tran@gmail.com>
Date:   Tue Aug 31 22:02:24 2021 +0000

Release PiAware 6.0

1 Like

Should I rebuild or will it run fine?

It will run fine, no need to rebuilt.

Can you please run these 3 commands and post output of last command?

cd piaware_builder/package-buster  

VER=$(grep "Version:" debian/piaware/DEBIAN/control | sed 's/^Version: //')  

echo ${VER}  

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cd piaware_builder/package-buster
pi@raspberrypi:~/piaware_builder/package-buster $
pi@raspberrypi:~/piaware_builder/package-buster $ VER=$(grep “Version:” debian/piaware/DEBIAN/control | sed ‘s/^Version: //’)
pi@raspberrypi:~/piaware_builder/package-buster $ echo ${VER}

Thank you.
The script was using following to determine version, which gave wrong result now

$ cd piaware_builder 
$ VER=$(git describe --tags | sed 's/^v//') 
$ echo ${VER} 
5.0-14-g6c6f0e9

I will change the script to use this one:

cd piaware_builder/package-buster 
VER=$(grep "Version:" debian/piaware/DEBIAN/control | sed 's/^Version: //') 
echo ${VER}

While I have you, is the install-adsbexchange.sh script from your repository designed to run on an existing installation?

Only today morning I have posted a thread to install ver 6.0~dev, as I was not aware that FA will release ver 6.0 same evening!

1 Like

No dont use it, as it may not work. I have never updated it. In fact I wrote it almost same time as Adsbexchange released their first systemd script without being aware of their release. Shortly after I came to know about their script, and since then never used or updated my script.

Please use the script at Adsbexchange github site, as it is up to date and much better.

Roger that… good thing I asked. I appreciate your work. Thanks for your help to the community at large, In my search to get this station updated with both 1090 and UAT your posts and replies were among the results in many of my searches. I installed the FA installation yesterday and couldn’t get dump 978 to work… The two SED lines at step 4.2 in this thread is what got it working. but I had so many changes and things installed I wanted a clean install so I re-imaged and ran your scripts. Nice work!

Tomorrow I’ll install the outdoor UAT antenna and make this new receiver my primary station.

Upgraded dump1090-fa ver 5.0 to ver 6.0, got this comment:

Installing dump1090-fa
(Reading database ... 213510 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack dump1090-fa_6.0_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking dump1090-fa (6.0) over (5.0) ...
Setting up dump1090-fa (6.0) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/default/dump1090-fa ...
The user `dump1090' is already a member of `plugdev'.
Trying to upgrade existing config to new syntax..
Disabling adaptive gain in /etc/default/dump1090-fa as this is an upgrade from pre-v6
Upgraded existing config /etc/default/dump1090-fa to the new config syntax.
Please doublecheck that it looks ok!
The old config file has been preserved at /etc/default/dump1090-fa.pre-v6-upgrade

Ver 6.0 config

abcd@ubuntu20:~$ cat  /etc/default/dump1090-fa 

# dump1090-fa configuration
# This is sourced by /usr/share/dump1090-fa/start-dump1090-fa as a
# shellscript fragment.

# dump1090-fa won't automatically start unless ENABLED=yes
ENABLED=yes

# SDR device type. Use "none" for a net-only configuration
RECEIVER=rtlsdr
# serial number or device index of device to use (only needed if there is more than one SDR connected)
RECEIVER_SERIAL=
# Initial receiver gain, in dB. If adaptive gain is enabled (see below) the actual gain
# may change over time
RECEIVER_GAIN=60

# Adjust gain to try to achieve optimal dynamic range / noise floor?
ADAPTIVE_DYNAMIC_RANGE=no
# Target dynamic range in dB (leave blank to autoselect based on SDR type)
ADAPTIVE_DYNAMIC_RANGE_TARGET=
# Reduce gain when loud message bursts from nearby aircraft are seen?
ADAPTIVE_BURST=no
# Gain range to allow when changing gain, in dB (empty = no limit)
ADAPTIVE_MIN_GAIN=
ADAPTIVE_MAX_GAIN=

# Turn on options to reduce load on slower CPUs, at the expense of slightly worse decoder performance.
# Setting "auto" will enable these options only if the CPU appears to be a slow CPU (currently this
# means armv6 only, e.g. Pi Zero)
SLOW_CPU=auto
# Local wisdom file used to select DSP implementations; uses built-in ranking if the file is missing
WISDOM=/etc/dump1090-fa/wisdom.local

# Correct CRC errors where possible
ERROR_CORRECTION=yes

# Receiver location, used for some types of position decoding. Provide the location as
# signed decimal degrees. If not given here, dump1090 will also try to read a receiver
# location from /var/cache/piaware/location.env (written automatically by PiAware, if installed)
RECEIVER_LAT=
RECEIVER_LON=
# Maximum range, in NM. Positions more distant than this are ignored. No limit if not set.
MAX_RANGE=360

# Network ports to listen on for connections
NET_RAW_INPUT_PORTS=
NET_RAW_OUTPUT_PORTS=30002
NET_SBS_OUTPUT_PORTS=30003
NET_BEAST_INPUT_PORTS=30004,30104
NET_BEAST_OUTPUT_PORTS=30005

# Accuracy of location written to JSON output
JSON_LOCATION_ACCURACY=1

# Additional options can be added here:
EXTRA_OPTIONS=""

# If OVERRIDE_OPTIONS is set, only those options are used; all other options
# in this config file are ignored.
OVERRIDE_OPTIONS=""

# This is a marker to make it easier for scripts to identify a v6-style config file
CONFIG_STYLE=6

Solved problem of disable Adaptive gain like this:

abcd@ubuntu20:~$ sudo dpkg --purge dump1090-fa 

abcd@ubuntu20:~$ sudo dpkg -i dump1090-fa_6.0_amd64.deb

Selecting previously unselected package dump1090-fa.
(Reading database ... 212313 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack dump1090-fa_6.0_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking dump1090-fa (6.0) ...
Setting up dump1090-fa (6.0) ...
The user `dump1090' is already a member of `plugdev'.
Enabling lighttpd integration..
Enabling dump1090-fa: ok
Run "service lighttpd force-reload" to enable changes
Enabling lighttpd integration (stat cache)..
Enabling dump1090-fa-statcache: ok
Enabling lighttpd skyaware module..
already enabled
Restarting lighttpd..
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/default.target.wants/dump1090-fa.service → /lib/systemd/system/dump1090-fa.service.

abcd@ubuntu20:~$ sudo systemctl status dump1090-fa 

● dump1090-fa.service - dump1090 ADS-B receiver (FlightAware customization)
     Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/dump1090-fa.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: active (running) since Wed 2021-09-01 03:12:59 EDT; 3s ago
       Docs: https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/
   Main PID: 12883 (dump1090-fa)
      Tasks: 3 (limit: 3520)
     Memory: 1.9M
     CGroup: /system.slice/dump1090-fa.service
             └─12883 /usr/bin/dump1090-fa --quiet --device-type rtlsdr --gain 60 --adaptive-range --fix --lat 43.58010 --lon -79.62360 --max-range 360 --n>

Sep 01 03:12:59 ubuntu20 systemd[1]: Started dump1090 ADS-B receiver (FlightAware customization).
Sep 01 03:12:59 ubuntu20 dump1090-fa[12883]: Wed Sep  1 03:12:59 2021 EDT  dump1090-fa 6.0 starting up.
Sep 01 03:12:59 ubuntu20 dump1090-fa[12883]: rtlsdr: using device #0: Generic RTL2832U (Generic, RTL2832UFA, SN 00000978)
Sep 01 03:12:59 ubuntu20 dump1090-fa[12883]: Detached kernel driver
Sep 01 03:13:00 ubuntu20 dump1090-fa[12883]: Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
Sep 01 03:13:01 ubuntu20 dump1090-fa[12883]: rtlsdr: tuner gain set to about 58.6 dB (gain step 29) (tuner AGC enabled)
Sep 01 03:13:01 ubuntu20 dump1090-fa[12883]: adaptive: using 50% duty cycle
Sep 01 03:13:01 ubuntu20 dump1090-fa[12883]: adaptive: enabled adaptive gain control with gain limits 0.0dB (step 0) .. 58.6dB (step 29)
Sep 01 03:13:01 ubuntu20 dump1090-fa[12883]: adaptive: enabled dynamic range control, target dynamic range 30.0dB
Sep 01 03:13:01 ubuntu20 dump1090-fa[12883]: Allocating 4 zero-copy buffers
1 Like

Upgrading from Ver 5.0 to Ver 6.0

(1) If you already have built & installed a previous version, then running scripts in first post of this thread will upgrade previous version to current version 6.0.

EDIT: Item (2) below editex as per advise of @obj

(2) If on upgrading dump1090-fa you get a notice that Adaptive Gain Control has been blocked, then manually uninstall dump1090-fa and then reinstall it

sudo dpkg --purge dump1090-fa  
sudo dpkg -i dump1090-fa_6.0_*.deb

(2) If on upgrading dump1090-fa you get a notice that Adaptive Gain Control has been blocked, then manually edit file /etc/default/dump1090-fa and edit the config if you want to enable it.

Below is the adaptive gain part of the file

# Initial receiver gain, in dB. If adaptive gain is enabled (see below) the actual gain 
# may change over time RECEIVER_GAIN=60 
# Adjust gain to try to achieve optimal dynamic range / noise floor? 
ADAPTIVE_DYNAMIC_RANGE=no 
# Target dynamic range in dB (leave blank to autoselect based on SDR type) 
ADAPTIVE_DYNAMIC_RANGE_TARGET= 
# Reduce gain when loud message bursts from nearby aircraft are seen? 
ADAPTIVE_BURST=no 
# Gain range to allow when changing gain, in dB (empty = no limit) 
ADAPTIVE_MIN_GAIN= 
ADAPTIVE_MAX_GAIN= 

(3) The configuration file /etc/default/dump1090-fa has different format than in previous versions. If using both dump1090-fa and dump978-fa, for version 6.0 configure them to use respective serialized dongles by following commands:

sudo sed -i 's/^RECEIVER_SERIAL=.*/RECEIVER_SERIAL=00001090/' /etc/default/dump1090-fa

sudo sed -i 's/driver=rtlsdr[^ ]* /driver=rtlsdr,serial=00000978 /' /etc/default/dump978-fa

No, just edit the config if you want to enable it.

Uninstalling with --purge will destroy any dump1090 config changes that you’ve made.

2 Likes

Thanks Oliver for the advice.
Corrected my post to replace recommendation to purge by recommendarion to edit the config file.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for the guide. I was setting up Piaware 5.0 on an Ubuntu Server VM running on Windows VMWare for the first time.

However, I get an error when setting up Dump1090-FA, screenshot of which is indicated below. Can you clarify what’s going wrong in this case?

(1) These scripts build the latest version of dump1090-fa & piaware at the time these are run. As the current version is 7.2, it will build ver 7.2 and not ver5.0

(2) The dump1090-fa packafe was not built for some reason, most likely a dependency issue.

What are output of following commands?

uname -a 

lsb_release  -a  

apt-cache policy librtlsdr-dev  

sudo find / -name librtlsdr.so.0  

Hello, I landed on this page from search. However, I reset the VM and started the setup as per the latest instructions on github.

Step 1 executes fine now, however I am getting TLS errors in Step 2 as indicated below.

Edit: Deleted as not relevant

During the first reply, I had actually not set up my dongle, so I went to an earlier snapshot, set up the dongle and then initiated the installation as per the guide. Ended up getting the same error again. Have added the output of the commands in the screenshot below.

The dongle setup is as per this guide.