Orange Pi PC -- a $15 alternative to RPi 2? So far, so good

reboot didn’t help, complete reinstall has life more normal. Then again, I am using a piece of wire for an antenna to prove that it works, so it isn’t processing 200+ msg/sec.

I used ABCD’s instructions with the install scripts and all went well. I did need to add

sudo apt-get install fake-hwclock
sudo apt-get install netcat

Which distribution did you end up going with?

OrangePI-PC_Ubuntu_Vivid_Mate

I’m using a hardwire ethernet connection and the minimal builds didn’t seem to have the support built in. I was frustrated and redid what worked and luckily the load issues went away

Do you know the best place to bought a orange pi in Europe?

Thanks in advanced

@jvcdcarlos:
I purchased set 5 (board + power spply adaptor + case) on-line from this store on AliExpress:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1553371

Search in this store “orange pi pc”, and set the filter on search results page to your country to get correct shipping cost.

@jvcdcarlos:

This is where I bought my Orange Pi PC (it is NOT an Orange Pi Plus!):

ebay.co.uk/itm/291658242529?_trksid=p2055119

They are based in the UK. You might need to ask how much postage is to your location. For UK, it arrived next day.

@jvcdcarlos:
Note that Orange Pi PC does NOT power through microUSB port. It has a dc socket which requires a round shaped dc barrel pin. You must either purchse a cable USB to dc barrel pin (for powering from a USB port in computer or adaptor) or an ac/dc adapter with dc barrel pin.

The Sony PSP 5V Power Supply PSP103 works fine on the Orange Pi PC.

Bought mine used off eBay - new cheap ones available from China but people were saying beware of those - dangerous!

It is ok if someone wants to use dc adapter of his choice, but in this case a usb-to-barrel-pin cable should be purchased, as microUSB pin will not power the orange pi. One can purchse either set 1 or set 3 as shown in pictures below.

http://g03.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB14CwKJXXXXXc9XXXXq6xXFXXXi/-font-b-Orange-b-font-font-b-Pi-b-font-font-b-PC-b-font.jpg_220x220.jpghttp://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1gp3QJXXXXXaPXXXXq6xXFXXXE/-font-b-Orange-b-font-font-b-Pi-b-font-font-b-PC-b-font.jpg_220x220.jpg

I have purchased set 5, which comes with adapter, but there is no USB pin, the cable is solidly connected to the adapter.

The Sony PSP 5V Power Supply PSP103 has the correct barrel so no USB to barrel connector needed. amazon.co.uk/SONY-5v-PSP-103 … B009HMTWJ2

I use a USB to barrel connector for the 2nd OPi - like this: ebay.co.uk/itm/261945131097

I had ordered my orangepi pc on 20-Nov-2015 and my only plan was to use it to enter the world of flight tracking!
It took much time for it to arrive - I received it on 15-Jan-2016 - almost 60 days after ordering
Very nice mini PC and the weekend was there for me to explore it!

For anyone having troubles settting it up I found this very easy howto
vosse.blogspot.hr/2015/10/instal … ge-pi.html

I followed it step by step after downloading
Debian_jessie_mini.img.xz
and
scriptbin_kernel.tar.gz (the one with the latest date - see on the right of the page)
from MEGA
mega.nz/#F!wh8l2BjK!OBep3nMldBletvNNwkH2Jg

After that I connected the rtl-sdr dongle and followed this guide from flightaware
flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/install
to install dump1090 and then piaware

at the end I had a fully working setup on my orangepi pc that I am now using for SITE 17531
flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/atriasgr

@atriasgr:
This is a great guide for those who have a Linux Desktop/Laptop.
Is there any similar good guide for those who use Windows or Mac Desktop/Laptop?

Well personally I am a Linux user but I guess that the procedure would be the same for other OSes except for the image transfer to the SD card

This can be done on Windows with Win32DiskImager.
sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
This replaces steps 5-10 of the above mentioned tutorial.
Besides that, every other step should be the same especially those regarding script.bin and ulmage files to have a successful boot.

For Mac the procedure should be almost the same as Linux.
Just use “diskutil list” to find the device of the SD card (in place of fdisk).
Then use “dd” command which is available on mac.
More info on this tutorial for Mac:
rayhightower.com/blog/2015/11/27 … -mac-os-x/

For those who want automated install of dump1090-mutability, dump978, data feeders (piaware, plane finder, adsbexchange), and graphs (web portal) using jprochazka’s script, I recommend loboris’s distro “Ubuntu_Vivid_Mate”.

Please see my post linked below for details:
My Post dated Feb 15, 2016 in the thread “ADS-B Feeder Project Setup Scripts”

there is a new version of orange pi that is even more cheaper

the orange pi one

orangepi.org/orangepione/

aliexpress.com/store/product … 08880.html

same cpu as “pc” model but with 512MB ram instead of 1GB

has anyone tried it?

in my orange pi pc running piaware in debian i have ~735MB free ram so the cheaper model should be fine for our purposes

There is discussion of these boards over on Armbian, apparently some of hardware cost savings like not using a real regulator for the core voltage are causing even more heat issues than usual. I think for an extra $5 ill stay with the OPI PC’s, at least we know most of its shortcomings now. :slight_smile:

http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic/617-wip-support-for-the-upcoming-orange-pi-one/page-3

Installed adsb-receiver on to an Orange Pi PC and everything went fine however loading the live dump1090 map seems to take far longer than what it did on a Raspberry Pi B+ - it takes around 5-10 seconds for the map and aircraft to appear.

Anyone else noticed the same with their oPI PC?

using DietPi’s Debian 8 image.

on my oPi pc it takes about 3-4 seconds to display the whole page
my setup method can been seen 7 posts above this
are you running any other software in oPi ?

Good news for Orange Pi users:
My yesterday’s install showed that jprochazka’s automated install script (Click Here) gives a seamless install of dump1090, graphs & data feeders, on “OP_Debian_jessie_mini” distro of Loboris.

There is one glitch. If only one DVB-T dongle is plugged-in, dump978 grabs the DVB-T dongle, and dump1090 becomes dongleless, and stops functioning.

To solve this problem:
EITHER

• two dvb-t dongles should be plugged-in
    OR
  • dump978 should not be installed
    OR
  • if dump978 is installed, then in file /etc/rc.local, the line to start dump978 should be commented-out.

How to comment-out the line which starts dump978:

First open the rc.local file in text editor nano:

sudo nano /etc/rc.local

In nano editor, scroll down to the end of file. Near end you will find following line.

/home/pi/adsb-receiver/build/dump978/dump978-maint.sh &

comment-out this line by typing # at start of line, and the line will look like shown below:

# /home/pi/adsb-receiver/build/dump978/dump978-maint.sh &

Save the file (Ctrl+o then Enter) and then exit (Ctrl+x)

Reboot OPi