One hell of a ride - FlightAirMaps the way better VirtualRadarServer

Well, looks like this is all geared towards running on the Pi vs a windows base installation. I am not good with coding and what have you so looks like this project is out of my scope as I have not found any reasonable how tos and such. Looks like cool software. But looks for now VRS still decent for me.

this is just how to install on raspberry. running on windows is no big deal. install apache webserver, install php, install mysql - do the needed settings and then run flightairmaps installer from chrome browser window 

I was planning to try it this weekend, but after reading your post, I am discouraged.

If you could kindly point me to a installer I would be happy to try, but every link I can find seems still cmd line based to grab from github vs a GUI based installation.

flightairmaps is NOT a ‘software’ that installs with a ‘exe-file’ - it’s a web-application like the flightaware or flightradar website. it runs on a WEBSERVER driven by PHP and MYSQL like the biggest parts of the whole internet. on windows it’s even easier simply using wamp that installs all needed software apache/mysql/php.

→ WampServer, la plate-forme de dĂ©veloppement Web sous Windows - Apache, MySQL, PHP (install wamp server)
→ GitHub - Ysurac/FlightAirMap: Open source project displaying live aircrafts, ships or trackers on 2D/3D map. Browse through the data based on a particular aircraft, airline, airport, tracker or vessel to search through the database or see extensive statistics. Can use ADS-B in SBS1 format (dump1090, Radarcape,...), VRS, VA (VATSIM, IVAO whazzup.txt, phpvms,...), ACARS (acarsdec, acarsdeco2), APRS, AIS as datasource. (download zip-file and place files in root directory of apache)
→ run 127.0.0.1/install (in google chrome browser)

and there are other nice things for the pi you can do with webserver and php :slight_smile: Phpsysinfo - another nice to have for the raspi

Figured it out, now trying setup. Apache directory with WAMP is " WWW "

Has error (can not connect to) I have no clue and there seems to be little support I can find so I will be sticking with VRS for a while. Cool looking program but for some one with limited coding knowledge I am afriad it is over my head by a mile.

what can not connect to what?

It does not say. As stated I know nothing of this kinda stuff so I’m just over my head.

OK, I have this all up and running but when using piaware dump1090 aircraft.json I’m missing the flight element (i.e. the callsign), but all other needed info is there including the hex code and other parameters, ssems just the flight is missing. If I switch to SBS 30003 input, sweet everything is good except of course no MLAT flights.

I’ve left a calling card at Ysurac’s GitHub site about this.

After some support and a fix from the author all is good now, interesting data in all of this, great for my analytical mind!

perfect! and btw did you realize that you now can use wildcards with radar.php

Hi TomMuc, yes and a big thank you for that, it’s working a treat at the moment with much better alerting than having to think of all the flight permutations that may occur!

1 Like

perfect! mine runs on the mac without any hickups too :slight_smile: maybe you again compare the radar.php you use anyways to the one in my post final version because after introducing the wildcard i later altered the database section a little. so now even a shutdown of mysql does not cause that script stops. of course it can’t insert data as long as database is down - but then automatically starts inserting as soon as database is availible again without need to restart the script. my fault was that i did not place a version number in the script - i felt this were bragging - but now see that it helps and will catch up now.

it’s now on github - so install and update can be done (but always backup existing before):

git clone --depth=1 http://github.com/TomMuc1/Dump1090-MySQL-Alert-Filter.git
git pull

this is the new source-code-section you should see in the version you run:

// write selected aircraft data to database
try {
	$db = new PDO('mysql:host=' . $user_set_array['db_host'] . ';dbname=' . $user_set_array['db_name'] . '', $user_set_array['db_user'], $user_set_array['db_pass']); $db_insert = '';
	$db->setAttribute(PDO::ATTR_ERRMODE, PDO::ERRMODE_EXCEPTION);
	if ($sql) { $db->exec($sql); $db_insert = 'inserted'; }
	$db = null;
} catch (PDOException $db_error) {
	$db_insert = 'db-error' . PHP_EOL . $db_error->getMessage();
}

Based on this screen shot, I think what I am missing right now more than anything else is something in Apache config.

https://imgur.com/a/AbrGO

I followed the instructions on Debian · Ysurac/FlightAirMap Wiki · GitHub to the letter.

I have daemon-spotter.php running as a daemon and I have update_db.php running on a cron every hour.

whats in flightairmap/require/settings.php variable $globalURL set?

and in apache config something like this within virtualhosts section:

sudo nano /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default.conf

DocumentRoot "/var/www/html/flightairmap"
<Directory /var/www/html/flightairmap>
  Options +Indexes +FollowSymLinks -MultiViews
  AllowOverride All
  Order allow,deny
  Allow from all
</Directory>

Well the devil is in the details.

Changed it from ‘/flighairmap’ to ‘’ now the website pulls up but no aircraft are detected I am getting statistics so at least there is something going into the database, when I look into the table tracker_* tables there is nothing in them.

did you setup apache config virtualhost i posted above?

and btw use the aircraft.json as datasource - needs less cpu - delivers better data incl. all mlat. in flightairmap/require/settings.php e.g.:

$globalSources = array(array('host' => 'http://10.100.100.30/dump1090-fa/data/aircraft.json','port' => '80','name' => 'JSON','format' => 'auto','sourcestats' => TRUE,'noarchive' => FALSE,'timezone' => 'UTC','callback' => FALSE));

and also use a faster data-refresh rate:

$globalMinFetch = '1';
1 Like