Not your nomal place for a hold.

flightaware.com/live/flight/SWA3 … /KJAN/KBWI

Wheels were down, flaps fully extended on final into BWI, pilot started doing S turns about 2000 AGL. I told my wife, this is not normal as the turns were GA like, very distinct maneuvers.

Next thing you know, engines spool up and pilot makes a sharp right. After we were facing the Chesapeake Bay, pilot came on and said a plane cut in front of us and due to loss of spacing we aborted the landing, but everything is ok!

I could imagine somebody on the airways getting the “call the tower instructions” after this happened.

I was on an SWA flight a few years back on Final to FLL and the pilot did about 3 S-turns on final to try to create spacing due to an aircraft on the runway - however the aircraft didn’t clear in time and we aborted, roaring over downtown Fort Lauderdale at TOGA thrust to get back into the left pattern.

This happend on halloween landing into SFO. Our spacing was cut so we had to switch from right to left. Fun times

This happend on halloween landing into SFO. Our spacing was cut so we had to switch from right to left. Fun times

The S turns happen a lot into O’Hare. Give the ATC a listen and you can hear the tower/PIC asking for an “S turn for spacing” quite frequently.

Same here in Vegas, but mainly for arrivals on 25L, as they have the room to the south for the S turn. If it can’t be done on their arriving runway (1s, 19s, 25R), ATC may change them to another runway, more than likely the parallel.

BL.

Same at OAK. I’ve seen both JetBlue and FedEx flights making S-turns on final. Never seen anyone have to do a go-around (although I’ve seen them at SFO) but S-turns seem common enough here.