cbc.ca/news/canada/north/del … -1.2537981

A333 Delta 233 AMS-SEA diverted to Iqaluit, Nunavut, Canada

flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL2 … /EHAM/KSEA

Delta sending a 772 from ATL to rescue the pax

flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL9 … /KATL/CYFB

Temp -13F

http://www.nunatsiaqonline.ca/pub/photos/delta1_570.jpg

Ah yes, the infamous tail spoilers.
I stopped in iqaluit for fuel once, on purpose too. The last 50 miles to the airport reminds me of flying into Atreyu, Kazakhstan one February. White. Edmonton is the same only warmer.

Been to Edmonton but never none of Nunavut

anyway, they’re on the way now

flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL2 … /CYFB/KSEA

I think it used to be part on the Northwest Territories but split off into its own territory a few years ago.

Must have not been too serious, on to SEA

flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL9 … /CYFB/KSEA

That’s kinda nothing, to be honest… If it were Alert, Nuvanut, then I’d say you have a point. IIRC, Iqaluit is where both the B787 and A380 did a lot of their cold weather testing.

Besides… In a 2012 edition of Flying Magazine was a story where a Delta B777 was flying from EGLL-KJFK on one of the NATs for that day. A passenger suffered a heart attack. A doctor was onboard to help, but the pilot dispatched a message to HQ and conferred with the local doctor on duty as well. The doctor at HQ didn’t believe it was serious enough to warrant a diversion, and to keep heading to JFK. The doctor onboard stated that he wouldn’t make it to JFK. Pilot put on his PIC pants and diverted to BIKF, heading back northeast (they had just passed 60N35W). They broadcasted their intentions on the Guard freq. (121.5), which got everyone’s attention at that time.

Landed successfully, unknown status of the passenger, though the ground crew had issues with who was going to pay for refeuling, as they wanted the pilot to pay for it. All things squared away, they departed later. I’ll leave the last words to that pilot:

Just prior to our takeoff from Keflavik, I keyed the mic and made an announcement. “Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for your understanding today. We are number one for takeoff.”

I glanced out the windscreen and surveyed the black desolation of the airport. “As a matter of fact, we are the only one for takeoff.”

We rocketed into the Northern sky without hesitation. I had given Deane the leg home to JFK, compelling him to complete the mission more successfully than I had.

Despite the long day, I smiled inwardly. Who else gets the opportunity to visit Iceland for 55 minutes with a borrowed 777? Way cool.

flyingmag.com/pilots-places/ … nd-checked

BL.

Point taken, both airports have more than adequate runways, but you wouldn’t mistake either for Denver.
I have been to both Iqaluit and Keflavik in the winter. During the winter one gets a lot of low clouds, wind, rain, sleet and some snow. The other is miserably cold and white, typically Arctic. The weather would be like comparing Seattle and Fairbanks.
The facilities in Keflavik are not bad, multiple jetways, a nice duty free shop and some typical Scandinavian ladies to talk too. If you break down there is reasonable airline service for your passengers. Not in Iqaluit. The RCAF built good cold weather facilities except for general aviation, they park you at a fuel hydrant then make you walk across the main taxiway to the cold weather door which is still a good 200 meters from the flight plan office. Airline service exists but is spotty. I did read where a new terminal and some upgraded facilities are planned.
I’m not saying don’t consider Iqaluit as a useable alternate or even as a fuel stop, just don’t forget your jacket.