FlightAware Discussions

New Raspberry Pi available - Pi 4

I don’t anticipate needing it for now - tomorrow is forecast to be 38C, which I think is hotter than I remember it ever being here. I don’t know what temperature the roof space will get to, but I expect hotter than it was today. If the temperatures remain sensible during normal operation I won’t worry about a heat sink.

The results of the longer run were:

Total time (ms) : 161825
Nodes searched  : 90659083
Nodes/second    : 560229

and the first shorter run were

Total time (ms) : 83847
Nodes searched  : 48088937
Nodes/second    : 573531

I didn’t stop any other services running, and the Pi is running at standard speed. Normal CPU usage hovers just under 20% overall.

Is that the 3B+ or the model 4?
Must be the 3B+ i guess, the model 4 should be much faster :wink:

pinout will tell you the model (I think it is the simplest way to do it).
There are other ways, of course.

It’s a 3B, not a 3B+. Could probably get a bit better score if I stopped everything else.

Edit - The 3B doesn’t have a heatspreader on the CPU, which will make quite a difference when under load. The 3B+ is clocked a bit higher by default.

1 Like

Hi all,

I’m very new to all this and have just decided to set up my own Raspberry Pi with piaware and have everything that is required to set it up:

Raspberry Pi4 Model B
FlightAware Pro Stick
16GB SD Card
ADS-B Antenna

I installed piaware onto the SD card following the tutorials but when I inserted the SD card into the Pi4 there was ‘No Signal’ showing on the screen.

Can anyone help me out to get it to work please?

Thanks
Nick

The piaware sd-card is not yet updated to work with the RPi4.

Get Raspian Buster Lite from here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

You can use the same process as with the piaware sd-card image to write it to the sd-card.

As you are using a screen, may i assume you also have a keyboard connected?

After booting and logging in, do the following:

sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo apt install rpi-update
sudo rpi-update

Yes you need to update to the newest not really tested version, otherwise the Pro Stick won’t work properly.
Do a reboot (sudo reboot).

Install piaware following this guide:
https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/install

After that you can check out your SkyView page:
http://192.168.2.55/dump1090-fa/
(replace the IP address with the one of your RPi)
If you don’t know the address, you should be able to follow the link on your stats page:

Web Interface: View live data (requires local network connection)

You might want the landing page typical for the piaware sd-card which is available when you type in only the ip address into the browser.
It can be installed like this:

sudo apt install piaware-web

Thank you! I’ve just came across another installation problem. After I have downloaded:

wget http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/p/piaware-support/piaware-repository_3.7.1_all.deb

And then go to install with the command i get this error message:

dpkg-deb: error: ‘piaware-repository_3.7.1_all.deb’ is not a Debian format archive
dpkg: error processing archive piaware-repository_3.7.1_all.deb (–install):
dpkg-deb --control subprocess returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing:
piaware-repository_3.7.1_all.deb

Any ideas on how to fix this?

This sound like a problem with the download. I just verified that it downloads OK here. Try it again and ensure that there are no errors reported by wget?

wget is not very nice in that it won’t overwrite the previous download.
(so trying again won’t work if there is already a corrupted version of the file)

Try this:

wget -O repo.deb  http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/p/piaware-support/piaware-repository_3.7.1_all.deb
sudo dpkg -i repo.deb

Thanks again! Downloaded it again which saved it as .deb.1

Changed the install line to that and it installed this time

Could someone check if this is correct for Pi4
seems to be running x3 or is this percore as i got 4?

The current aisrpy version uses exactly 3 threads.
The white entry is the combine resource usage of the program.
The green entries represent the threads.
1 thread communicates with USB.
1 thread does all the calculations.
1 thread does mostly nothing.

htop -p $(pgrep airspy)

Also i see you are using -x (DX mode), this produces bad data if it was me receiving that bad data, i’d ban you :stuck_out_tongue:
(don’t think this has happened before but really, it produces bogus data, just turn it off)

Check the tracks per hour displayed in the graphs and see how they massively decrease when you turn it off.

-X gone
how did that get there hehe
thankyou for info set mind at rest
john

as for aircraft ive lost 8 since took off -x no real loss

That is true in the literal sense.
With -x on i had aircraft (without position) show up in my list which were actually half way around the world.
I doubt that you are actually losing reception :slight_smile:

Since i upgraded to pi4 my stats are an all high,
yesterday’s results
4720 a/c
1,141.416 mess
but i supose i could get away with pi4 1gb ram
current is 4gb pi4

I’m curious - what airspy_adsb version are you running? I’m running 1.37 and it does not use multiple threads (at least not on my Odroid N2).

And, I saw you mention further down the thread your # of planes and messages per day. That’s pretty phenomenal. You must have a stellar location and antenna setup.

Mike

the guys in europe and the uk get MANY more messages/sec than we do in the states. wiedehopf can correct me if i’m wrong but i have been told that aircraft broadcast more times per second than in the states…so their message/sec rates are much higher for a given number of aircraft

It does use multiple threads.
Maybe they are not displayed for you as they are userland/pthreads.

The aircraft are the same (well at least some), the transponder interrogation by radar is different.

The number of aircraft depends a lot on your location being somewhere with a lot of aircraft overhead.

I found the post about the DPD antenna, so that’s clear.
But which LNA are you using? :slight_smile:

I guess you are limited by terrain?

Aircraft in Europe transmit many more All Call Replies compared to the US because of it. I wonder if that will change as ADS-B usage increases, purely for capacity reasons.

These two sites have fairly similar numbers of aircraft seen per day, one is in the US and one mainland Europe:

US

Europe