New Pi Setup-what to modify?

Hello All! I just setup my tracker and have been having a lot of fun. In the forum I have seen “overclocking” and “expand your file system” mentioned, is there anything else I should do to get optimum performance and capabilities? I just ordered the Vertical Outdoor base antenna.

Are you pretty comfortable working in Linux? If so, here are a couple of configuration tweaks that have boosted my data collection and jazzed up my coverage map.

To increase number of positions reported, add –aggressive --phase-enhance to the PROG ARGS line in /etc/init.d/fadump1090.sh, like this:
(First cp fadump1090.sh to fadump1090.sh.ori)

PROG_ARGS="--aggressive --phase-enhance --quiet --net --net-ro-size 500 --net-ro-rate 5 --net-buffer 5"

Copy /usr/share/dump1090/public_html/config.js to config.js.ori and change config.js to look like this (replace my LAT/LOG with yours):

// --------------------------------------------------------
//
// This file is to configure the configurable settings.
// Load this file before script.js file at gmap.html.
//
// --------------------------------------------------------

// -- Output Settings -------------------------------------
// Show metric values
Metric = false; // true or false

// -- Map settings ----------------------------------------
// The Latitude and Longitude in decimal format
CONST_CENTERLAT = 36.176789;
CONST_CENTERLON = -79.144443;
// The google maps zoom level, 0 - 16, lower is further out
CONST_ZOOMLVL   = 10;

// -- Marker settings -------------------------------------
// The default marker color
MarkerColor	  = "rgb(127, 127, 127)";
// SelectedColor = "rgb(225, 225, 225)";
SelectedColor = "rgb(255, 255, 0)";
StaleColor = "rgb(190, 190, 190)";

// -- Site Settings ---------------------------------------
SiteShow    = true; // true or false
// The Latitude and Longitude in decimal format
SiteLat     = 36.176789;
SiteLon     = -79.144443;

SiteCircles = true; // true or false (Only shown if SiteShow is true)
// In nautical miles or km (depending settings value 'Metric')
SiteCirclesDistances = new Array(9,25,50,100,150);

Restart dump1909 with the command:

/etc/init.d/fadump1090.sh restart

Add ‘sudo’ before the above commands if you’re not root.

Your coverage page will then look like this:

pi2dubya.ddns.net/

thank you!

Thanks again, I did have to brush up on my editor skills has been since college, great stuff!

Glad to help. Getting into this has certainly helped me brush up on my *nix skills, too. I used vi as my editor of choice for years as a system administrator. It’s amazing how quickly it’s come back to me. Lots of fun. :smiley:

Regarding the --aggressive switch, I’ve read on planeplotter that it should be avoided especially if you’re sharing as the number of ‘false positives’ detection increases.

planeplotter.pbworks.com/w/page/ … 3/Dump1090

We do not recommend using --aggressive and it may not be supported by PiAware in the future.

I’ve removed it from my config file.

removed as well

I stopped using aggressive when I plotted aircraft 3000 miles away over the sahara.

My coverage plot (rings ar 100,150,200,250 nm) goo.gl/idbLHJ

How do you get FR24 in the dump1090 browser?

That’s been in MalcomRobb’s dump1090 for a month and a bit: github.com/MalcolmRobb/dump1090 … a9ffc6a5c5

Great… that means what to non-programmers and those of us who haven’t touched Linux since before it actually existed (NetBSD and FreeBSD days)?

It means that it is a new feature added to the upstream version of dump1090 that FlightAware have not included in their version of dump1090.
If you want it, you need to go and compile the updated upstream version yourself.

If you wait a few days, I should have some prebuilt packages ready to go that should be relatively simple to install…

You can edit the script.js file in the dump1090/public_html file to include it.

Traverse to the directory:

cd /usr/share/dump1090/public_html/

Open up the editor with script.js:

sudo vi script.js

Travel down the file with page down until you come up to line 278 that says

} else if (selected && selected.flight != '') {

Type the letter “i” to get into “INSERT” mode, you should see “-- INSERT --” at the bottom left of your screen.

Copy the following:

html += '&nbsp;<a href="http://fr24.com/'+selected.flight+'" target="_blank">[FR24]</a>';

Paste it by right-clicking with your mouse, either before or after the FlightAware line depending how you want them displayed on your screen. Push the enter key to give yourself a blank line before or after the FlightAware line.

Mine looks like this:

html += '&nbsp;<a href="http://flightaware.com/live/flight/'+selected.flight+'" target="_blank">[FlightAware]</a>';
html += '&nbsp;<a href="http://fr24.com/'+selected.flight+'" target="_blank">[FR24]</a>';

Push the escape key, then type:

:wq!

That will save and quit the editor.

Go to your webpage and reload it, and the changes will appear.

Hope this helps.

I also edited my file to make some changes to WestJet flights. It appears that all their flights only input the flight number without the carrier code. I used an if statement to check for alpha characters, if there are none I prepend WJA to the flight number for the FlightAware link. So far, it has worked out well, and all the flights that only contain numbers are indeed WestJet flights that are tracked in my coverage zone in accordance to my pi’s readings. I do have some OCD tendencies! :slight_smile:

if (!selected.flight.match(/[a-z]/i)){
        html += '&nbsp;<a href="http://flightaware.com/live/flight/WJA'+selected.flight+'" target="_blank">[FlightAware]</a>';
        }
        else{
    html += '&nbsp;<a href="http://flightaware.com/live/flight/'+selected.flight+'" target="_blank">[FlightAware]</a>';
    }

That’s a great idea, did something similar to just that but also adjusted the plane list on the right to include WJA. In the script.js, within the fetchData() function, prior to these lines:

// Call the function update
plane.funcUpdateData(data[j]);

I added the below:

if (!data[j].flight.match(/[a-z]/i) && data[j].flight.trim() != "" && data[j].flight != "????????") {
	data[j].flight = 'WJA'+data[j].flight;
}

Nevertheless, there will be some incorrect ones, for example, the 311 that was showing up this morning is actually JetBlue. I think I’ll edit the code such that if there is no valid location then leave it as is.

Added some other code in the fetchData() and in the planeObject.js to also calculate the distance for the plane to the home location.

Anyone have a db that we can query the ADS-B id straight from the dump1090 web page?