--net only experiment success

For some time I’d been laboring on how exactly to get my site 16907 remote receiver site (55’ with $10 ground plane and 15dB amp) onboard with MLAT on FA. The receiver itself, because of its rooftop location requiring a POE connection for power and network, sits behind a solid firewall, so I can only manage pushing data out from it to feed one of my VRS instances that does have a public IP. That VRS with a rebroadcast server then pushes the feed to the home setup.

Here at home, I have another VRS running, taking in the push feed from the remote site, and in turn rebroadcasting that particular feed to PP, which in turn feeds FA as site 16907. Through another rebroadcast server on the home VRS, in addition, the remote site feeds an instance of FR24 feeder, and PF feeder.

Remarkably silly and complicated, but it keeps all the feeds separate and from cross-feeding each other.

Last weekend, I finally got an actual PiAware feeder with MLAT running on the Intel Stick as site 22047, but only can use an indoor antenna, so performance was interesting, but not phenomenal. Now it gets crazy…

I then discovered the --net only capability of dump1090… (BTW, thanks to jpro and obj and everyone else that responded to my pleas for assistance, which made me actually look for all the information, most of which was actually already scattered about on the forum, to help me get my Intel Stick PiAware running…)

By putting the home Intel Stick Dump1090-mut into --net only mode, and firing up another rebroadcast server from the remote VRS instance, I was able to now feed the home PiAware (site 22047) with the remote site raw data (site 16907) directly, which in turn enabled much enhanced coverage including MLAT data to site 22047, whose coordinates are now duly changed to the remote location coordinates, same as site 16907. Yes, I have two sites on the same receiver, same coordinates, and it is interesting to see the differences between the two results.

I can probably eliminate the remote VRS push feed by having the remote Pi B/dump1090 receiver just do it with SOCAT, but I’m afraid that Pi B might start choking. Right now all the rebroadcasting is happening over beefier machines and seems to be stable.

Now I have one receiver feeding multiple independent services, with no crossfeeds between the services, keeping everyone happy and my home router blinking madly.

It was amazing to see the remote site MLAT stats, and I learned some Linuxy chops in the process thanks to the board mentors. Now time to see about dump978…

Updated setup now including UAT