near miss

Ever see a near miss on a commercial flight? I was sitting in exit row on left side of Continental approximately over Wash DC when suddenly appeared a fast moving aircraft passing rite to left overhead with a vapor trail. I expected to feel the wake turbulence, but we passed under it very fast. I am guessing we passed only 200 feet apart. Another passenger in my row on the other side of the aircraft saw the identical thing. So I know I am not crazy. I am thinking it may have been military. The co-pilot denied any type of near miss and laughed me out of his way saying it couldn’t happen.

Oh boy… Here we go again… :unamused:

I’ve had a near hit! What the Hell is a near miss?

RVSM has been a godsend for this forum. HAHA

wink click click :wink:

If, as you claim, the aircraft missed by 200 feet, then you witnessed the most complete failure of the air traffic system possible. Alarms would have gone off at supervisor’s consoles, and the center radar “snitch patches” would also send out alerts. Controllers would be suspended, and, if they tried to cover it up, they could be fired. So could their supervisors.

That would be called an operational error, not a near miss.

That type of failure is usually on the evening news…

On top of the air traffic failure, there would also be the failure of the TCAS alert systems in the aircraft cockpit. The grinning co-pilot would be saying “yeah, we just ignored the warnings and took no evasive action.”

Yes, you saw a plane, but it was a lot farther away than 200 feet.

Been there done that (on this topic). :unamused:

Was it like 1000’ above you?

All crazy people say that.

http://www.websmileys.com/sm/crazy/1148.gif

Don’t encourage the boy.

It’s bad enough he flies a catfish! :smiling_imp:

You certainly could’ve done worse Pops… :wink:

One of my former roommates (now an A-10 pilot) was flying this training mission on a military training route near San Antonio in a T-38 when this nearly ended his life…

Near miss w jet - YouTube)

That near hit took place about 2 miles east of KUVA right over the dry Frio river.