Mysterious issue/phenomena with connectors/Pi/Prostick

I am using a standard coax adapter from SMA male to BNC female, this one in pic.

Because Iā€™ve and old receiver Kinetic SBS-1 with BNC socket, I made decision to use BNC also for this new cable to have a wider compatibility in my shack.
By the way, Before to mount BNC male, I installed directly a SMA male coax connector for Ecoflex10ā€¦ but I had the same strange phenomenaā€¦ but with SMA I wasnā€™t able to reach ā€œa pointā€ to get messagesā€¦ and Iā€™ve decided definitely to use BNCā€¦

I made some check between BNC and their center pins, size seems the same.
Same strange problem I have with N connector in the second radar setupā€¦ so not only BNCā€¦

BNC used are dedicated for Ecoflex10 50ohm cable, at home no any 75ohm coax connector I have (I am a radioham so all are based on 50 ohm coax cable).

Wiggle the wires has been the first test made on three setup, all ok, never had problem. Testing these cables and their connectors on other radios (V/U), always perfect performance.

Yes, I have this one, a DPD ADSB Antenna and a slovakian COL1090/5-S vinnant

Maybe iā€™ve did not read it, but did you test it using your Noelec stick? This should have the same chip on it as the blue FA Stick and therefore should work directly without additional installation.

Ok. Uhm.

I probably should have went simple. Ohm the connector with everything hooked up.

Iā€™ve completed this test right now. Iā€™ve used a Noolec Nesdr Smart model.
Same SMA-BNC female and same BNC/Cable/Antenna.
With connector well connected, it receives around 45/50 msg/sec and range 100/130 NM.
No any ā€œmagic pointā€ found in the connection to raise message rate.
Change with Prostick Plus:
With connector well connected, it receives around 0.3 msg/sec and range 5/10 NM (because there was one airplane in my ATZ).
But, if I unscrew BNC to tha ā€œmagic pointā€, it receives 90/95 msg/sec and range 130/150 NM and more !

I really donā€™t know what to thinkā€¦

With my tester I have to tip, a red one and a black one. If everything hooked up, in ohm mode, between what Iā€™ve to connect the tester tips ? (central via is hidden, so only external metal case of the connectors is available) - Sorry, maybe lack of understanding by me.

Try putting a 10 or 20dB Attenuator in front of your ProStick plus and see if that improves things. I strongly suspect you are overloading the LNA in the ProStick plus, most likely with mobile phone signals. I think you will need a filter.

1 Like

Iā€™ve ordered a FA dark blue filter 1090, weā€™ll see ā€¦

The Noelec does not have an LNA or filter as far as i know, so having a lower performance should be expected.

Well, i think thatā€™s a sort of evidenceā€¦

1 Like

Hi All,
Today Iā€™ve installed the FA dark blue 1090 filter and that strange issue/phenomena has disappeared!!! Eureka!!

All connections has well done, no any unscrew to the ā€œmagic pointā€.
Msg/rate improved alot, range increased too.

Iā€™ll buy a second filter to install it in the second radar setup, having the same problem.

Soā€¦ it seems I was suffering of a severe RF problem managed by filter, or this filter added a new electrical ā€œsituationā€ going to solve my strange issue. I donā€™t know, but I can declare ā€œSOLVEDā€

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.