My statistics page shows since a few days no data.

Hello,

Since Monday I have problems with my setup, I’m using 3.5.0 on a PI3. My site is “SITE 26366 – EHTL”
The Feeder Check-In gives “One day ago”, Piaware 3.5.0. and MLAT is running.

The last entries in the piaware.log are:
Jun 6 09:29:55 piaware piaware[552]: 313237 msgs recv’d from dump1090-fa (1306 in last 5m); 313237 msgs sent to FlightAware
Jun 6 09:34:55 piaware piaware[552]: 314773 msgs recv’d from dump1090-fa (1536 in last 5m); 314773 msgs sent to FlightAware
Jun 6 09:39:55 piaware piaware[552]: 316326 msgs recv’d from dump1090-fa (1553 in last 5m); 316326 msgs sent to FlightAware
Jun 6 09:44:55 piaware piaware[552]: 317907 msgs recv’d from dump1090-fa (1581 in last 5m); 317907 msgs sent to FlightAware
Jun 6 09:49:55 piaware piaware[552]: 319619 msgs recv’d from dump1090-fa (1712 in last 5m); 319619 msgs sent to FlightAware
Jun 6 09:54:55 piaware piaware[552]: 321515 msgs recv’d from dump1090-fa (1896 in last 5m); 321515 msgs sent to FlightAware
Jun 6 09:59:55 piaware piaware[552]: 323377 msgs recv’d from dump1090-fa (1862 in last 5m); 323377 msgs sent to FlightAware
Jun 6 10:04:55 piaware piaware[552]: 324997 msgs recv’d from dump1090-fa (1620 in last 5m); 324997 msgs sent to FlightAware
Jun 6 10:09:55 piaware piaware[552]: 326670 msgs recv’d from dump1090-fa (1673 in last 5m); 326670 msgs sent to FlightAware
Jun 6 10:14:55 piaware piaware[552]: 328268 msgs recv’d from dump1090-fa (1598 in last 5m); 328268 msgs sent to FlightAware

I rebooted the PI without result. On Skyview I see the planes, so everything looks ok.
The status of Piaware and MLAT are green and Flightaware is red.

What I did yesterday was run the “Upgrade all installed Debian packages”. After the installation and reboot the problem occurred.
Anyone an idea what’s wrong?

Wednesday: The feeder still have no connection with Flightaware, allthough logfiles etc. seems to be ok.

Thanks and regards,

Ton

I’ve seen a few reports of this now, and I suspect that something in the general package upgrade (which upgrades a lot of packages that are out of our control) is doing something odd to your MAC address. I see what I think is your Pi online - with a different MAC address - what looks like a randomly generated one.

What is the output of “/sbin/ip -o link show” on your Pi?

Ok, I have to check what my old MAC-Address was, that could be the problem. :frowning:

The output you ask for is:

pi@piaware:~$ /sbin/ip -o link show
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1\ link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
2: eth0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state DOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000\ link/ether 82:8c:5c:3a:e4:a1 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
3: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UP mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000\ link/ether b8:27:eb:aa:33:71 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
pi@piaware:~$

The connection is using Wireless.

Grtz, Ton

There’s your problem; that is the “new” MAC address that I saw. The address that your old site is associated with is a b8:27:eb:… address (not the wireless one) which I assume was the old address of your eth0. I don’t know why it has randomized your MAC. Do you have any unusual configuration?

edit: there is a mention of similar behaviour here: raspberrypi.org/forums/view … 6&start=25 (last couple of posts, June 2017)
I would suspect a kernel or firmware problem introduced recently.

If you’re not worried about retaining the old site, you could just claim the new site and that will work regardless of what MAC addresses do (as it’s a newer site that is associated by feeder ID, not MAC address)

I have a screen copy of the first registration with Fllightaware, and that is indeed b8:27:eb…
The Pi always used the wireless connection, so the cause must be the general package upgrade.

Do you know if it’s possible to change the mac-address to the old one?

Ton

I tried to reproduce this on my Pi3 but couldn’t - it keeps the right MAC even with updated packages.

Can you look at “dmesg” output or /var/log/messages for anything related to smsc95xx?
e.g. on my (working correctly ) Pi3 I have:

$ dmesg | grep smsc95xx
    1.105009] usbcore: registered new interface driver smsc95xx
    2.628213] smsc95xx v1.0.5
    2.718928] smsc95xx 1-1.1:1.0 eth0: register 'smsc95xx' at usb-3f980000.usb-1.1, smsc95xx USB 2.0 Ethernet, b8:27:eb:fb:46:f8

@tonb01:
If you want to restore your old site, take following steps:
(1) Note down the mac address from your Flightaware stats page of the old site
(2) Delete the new 128 bit feeder id (xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx) from following places

• pi@piaware:~$ sudo rm /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id

• pi@piaware:~$ sudo nano /boot/piaware-config.txt
    #scroll down to bottom of file and see if you can find a line “feeder-id xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx # updated by fa_piaware_config”. If the line is there, delete this line, and save file. If you dont find this line, close the nano editor.

• pi@piaware:~$ sudo nano /etc/piaware.conf
    #scroll down and see if you can find a line “feeder-id xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx # updated by fa_piaware_config”. If the line is there, delete this line, and save file. If you dont find this line, close the nano editor.

(3) Spoof mac address as follows:
pi@piaware:~$ sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt
#this file has all text in one line. At the end of this line, add one space and add “smsc95xx.macaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx” (without quotes " "), where xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx is the mac address you noted from old site’s stat page.
Make sure that there is no line break between existing text and “smsc95xx.macaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx”, else the spoof will not work.

(4) Now reboot the pi for spoof to take effect.
Check your Flightaware stats page.

If above fails to restore your old site, then you have two options:
(1) Forgo old site and accept new site.
OR
(2) Format microSD card, download and write Piaware 3.5 image, and power up. Hopefully your old site will be restored.

Thanks for the reply abcd567 and obj.
Today I don’t have the time, but I try the actions later tonight.

Gr. Ton

Thanks abcd567, that did the trick. :slight_smile: I’m happy.

Remarks:
2 - Removed /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id
There was no feeder_id entry in /boot/piaware-config.txt
The /etc/piaware.conf file is empty (only 4 lines as remarks), is that normal in 3.5.0?

3 - I edit the /boot/cmdfile.txt and add the old mac-address

After the reboot everything is ok, I see the statistics again.

Is it wise to never use the “Upgrade all installed Debian packages” command in the control panel?

Thanks again for the great help,

Ton

It will update to a set of packages that i have not tested against, so it’s not necessarily bad but it is unpredictable and you may need to fix stuff yourself afterward. We don’t push auto updates of packages other than the piaware ones for that reason

I can’t diagnose the problem further without either more information from your system or a way to reproduce the problem myself

Hello OBJ,

For diagnose I can give you info, what kind of information do you need from my system?
It’s a PI-3 with the standard 3.3.0 image with upgrades to 3.5.0, the only thing I changed is that the PI-3 has to use Wi-Fi with a fixed IP4-adres.

Gr. Ton

Yes, it is normal.
The feeder-id entry in these two files will be there only if earlier you have:
(a) Given following command:
sudo piaware-config feeder-id xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx
OR
(b) Typed the line “feeder-id xxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx” in file /boot/piaware-config.txt

In file /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id, the feeder-id is always there. You can see it by giving command “cat /var/cache/piaware/feeder_id”. If you delete this file, it will be regenrated on reboot. It will have a different feeder id than before if there is no entry of feeder-id in file /boot/piaware-config.txt or in file /etc/piaware.conf

Contents of /var/log/ syslog and output of the “dmesg” command, while the wrong MAC address is in use (i.e. without the cmdline.txt fix). by email is fine.

More clues: github.com/debian-pi/raspbian-u … issues/471

IIRC the way older piaware sdcards are set up, you will pick up firmware updates automatically, but not kernel updates (because messing with config.txt gets interesting). 3.5.0 added support for maintaining config.txt automatically and uses a different set of kernel packages, which probably explains why I wasn’t seeing it in my test.

I will do some more testing today, but it is beginning to sound like a firmware vs kernel mismatch.