MQS info?

When will MQS info be added? The airport id was established July 5, 2007. The airport used to be 40N and now is MQS. This is a pain not being able to track any flights to the airport since no flight plans use 40N and FlightAware doesn’t show MQS as valid.

It will most likely be changed in the next FlightAware database update. Keep using 40N for now, it’ll get changed eventually.

I used to go to Chester County all the time for dinner when I was building time. It’s an easy 45 minute flight from my home base.
Why MQS? I don’t like it. CST and CTR (for chester) or CVL, CTS, CTV, CTL (for Coatesville) would have been more appropriate and are not currently being used.

The answer is simple. Read what you just said, think about who assigns these, and you will have your answer…

Or, the answer is…the options you gave make too much sense for the government. :laughing:

I cant just keep using 40N because there are no flight plans in the system for 40N. It doesn’t exist. All airplanes are flight planned to MQS. The catch 22 is that MQS doesn’t exist in FlightAware so therefore you can’t track ALL airplanes to Chester CO G O Carlson.

IMQS is the identification of the ILS.

Paragraph 1-2-5 Duplication of FAA publicaion 7350.7 states

c. The first and second letters or second and third letters or third and first letters of a three-letter identifier may not be duplicated with less than 200 nautical miles separation

Two of the codes you mentioned are being used:
CTR: Chester, MA, VOR/DME
CVL: Colville River, AK, NDB

[quote=“damiross”]
[Paragraph 1-2-5 Duplication of FAA publicaion 7350.7 states

c. The first and second letters or second and third letters or third and first letters of a three-letter identifier may not be duplicated with less than 200 nautical miles separation

OK, so scratch CTR, but last time I checked Alaska was a bit more than 200 miles away from Coatesville.

[quote=“cfijames”]

OK, so scratch CTR, but last time I checked Alaska was a bit more than 200 miles away from Coatesville.

No duplicates, with very limited exceptions, are allowed. Doesn’t matter if one is 1,000 foot dirt strip in Alaska serving 1 plane a week and the other is a 10,000 foot hard surface international airport serving 5,000,000 planes a day located in Florida.

Here’s the rest of paragraph 1-2-5:

1-2-5 Duplication
a. At the same location, the same identifier may be assigned to one navigational aid (which must be located within the airport boundary), to the airport, to a manned air traffic control facility, and to an aviation weather station on the airport. With certain restrictions, variations of the airport identifier may be assigned also to landing systems.

b. Some duplication of three-letter assignments has been made between air navigation facilities in the contiguous United States, which are not associated primarily with a landing area, and U.S. Department of Defense overseas air bases. For example, the second ILS at an airport in the U.S. and an air base in Italy, or an air base in Germany and an en route VORTAC in the U.S.

Thank you to whoever fixed the problem.

You’re welcome.

MQS is not working on Flightaware again. When it was working times were listed in Zulu instead of local.
Please fix again…

The wierd thing is that the weather shows up for MQS, but the system reports MQS as not a valid airport.

I’m sure mduell will get it taken care of again! Thanks.

We loaded a new airport database from the FAA last week and KMQS is not listed as the ICAO code for the airport (nothing is listed), nor is there a timezone for it. The ICAO code and timezone have been corrected manually.

Thanks for fixing that. How long does it take for the FAA to update the database that you use? I wonder if this is something that we’ll see for a while.

The FAA database has the IATA code as MQS, but not the ICAO code as KMQS. It could be an issue with ICAO dragging their feet/having a longer process cycle.

MQS has dropped off the map again. mduell, can you work your magaic again?

[quote=“damiross”]
[Paragraph 1-2-5 Duplication of FAA publicaion 7350.7 states

What about GSO and GSP - about 160 miles apart :question:

TPF and TPA - same city :open_mouth: albeit one is international and other GA

AMN and APN

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

[quote=“dorishd0”]

What about GSO and GSP - about 160 miles apart :question:

TPF and TPA - same city :open_mouth: albeit one is international and other GA

AMN and APN

:smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Uh, you’ll need to ask the FAA and not me.