Mono on Raspberry Pi

I had VRS running on a Pi 2 but as mentioned above rendering the map is S L O W and the planes jumped a bit. I wanted to check the distance a new antenna was able to see. I checked “top” and the CPU was pinned at 100%. I am in a very busy area. I’ll give it another go on a Pi 3

ok - i’ll give it a try next weekend :slight_smile: mono is not needed on my mac mini as i run vrs there in a vmware-fusion virtual machine on win7.

thanx for reply
tom

Almost a year running VRS on Mono raspberry 3.

mono --version
Mono JIT compiler version 5.2.0.215 (tarball Mon Aug 14 16:25:12 UTC 2017) 
Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
TLS:           __thread
SIGSEGV:       normal
Notifications: epoll
Architecture:  armel,vfp+hard
Disabled:      none
Misc:          softdebug 
LLVM:          supported, not enabled.
GC:            sgen (concurrent by default)

1 Like

haha - really cool! you all were smart using the pi for vrs - i had a brain failure regarding this option :smiley:

… gave it a try on my raspberrypi2 - works like a charm! first loading of the website on my notebook takes about 10-15 seconds - when website is loaded anything feels exactly the same like the other vrs server that runs on a i7 machine. even the pi2 where vrs-server runs is capable to load the vrs website with about 200 aircrafts in parallel :slight_smile:

unbelievable - thanx for sharing and your very good explanation how to install!

2 Likes

A friend of my in another city (50 km away) had the idea to connect our RasPis especially to exchange MLAT data. So I installed mono-complete (latest version) and VRS incl. WebAdmin plugin on my RaspI (pi2).
Everything works well, but RPi Monitor or HTOP will show you, that mono raises up the CPU load …

Anyway, if you will not have mono (and VRS) installed on your RasPi, but the other one wishes to keep it (with VRS), you have to open the two ports of your RasPi to allow the other one to have access to your RasPi for using dump1090 data (incl. MLAT).