methods to show flight info labels directly on dump1090 map?

i would have thought that you could just replace the html folder from mutability to where ever your previous version was. However before trying that just check 192.168.1.11/dump1090/gmap.html)

Al

I forgot about the apple TV application someone had made
post198170.html?hilit=apple%20tv#p198170

It is not cheap, $10 I think, however, it may do what you want.
I haven’t used it so can’t comment on its value.

Just to clarify on ppup. PPUP1090 is a rpi program that uploads directly to the planeplotter server.
I run planeplotter on a windows desktop taking the feed from rpi running dump1090-FA (FA feeder site 2394) which also runs ppup1090 to upload directly to the server in the UK. It works for me, YMMV

Thanks for your multiple tips - this worked great. It took me a few tries to sort out installing the dump1090-mutability version separately from the previous version, and then to fiddle with the text in the config file, but it worked.

Thanks!

Two other questions if I can ask your further expert advice!

1. Is there a layer I could activate to get the entire background maps area to be lighter or darker (like have it appear more as a very light or dark background) so that the planes appear more distinct against the map? Or have the map setting/layer itself show less contrasty or grab fewer map elements (like discard distracting highway exit numbers, railroads, etc)?

2. Is there a way I could have all planes show their historical track without clicking on them individually? Would that be turning off the “clearLines” function in the planeObjects.js file? But how to get them to show up without clicking?

Thanks!

A lighter map here:
ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/less-definition-map-osm-t38364.html
that I found here:
blog.programster.org/openlayers- … osm-tiles/

I hope that helps

This is a bit of a blunt hammer (eg you really need to refine it with an on/off button), but in
planeObject.js, procedure PlaneObject.prototype.updateLines, comment out the first two lines!

// Update our planes tail line,
PlaneObject.prototype.updateLines = function() {
        //if (!this.selected)
        //        return;

if (this.track_linesegs.length == 0)
                return;

var estimateStyle = new ol.style.Style({
                stroke: new ol.style.Stroke({
                        color: '#a08080',
                        width: 1.5,
                        lineDash: [3, 3]
                })
        });

Thank you so much! These tips worked out great!

I tried this on the dump1090-fa, planeObject.js file located in /usr/share/dump1090-fa/html, but it does not seem to work.

How could this be done on the dump1090-fa installation?

I tried this on the dump1090-fa, planeObject.js file located in /usr/share/dump1090-fa/html, but it does not seem to work.

How could this be done on the dump1090-fa installation?

Are you sure that that directory is the one being used by the web server? If you create a backup copy of the planeObject.js file, and edit the live one, does it cause any change in the displayed icons? If not, then you may be editing the wrong instance of the file?

It was in fact the correct file and location.
Just had to reboot the system. :blush:

Thank you for this!

This is great! It was a bit much on my screen with 80 planes visible so I simplified it to only display the identifier. The sole entry for labelText is:

labelText     = (this.flight ? this.flight : ' ');

And moved it very close to the plane icon:

offsetX: +10,
                                    offsetY: +5

Agreed, in reality I use these two additional lines so that the labels only appear when I zoom to an area/plane of interest

var zmm = OLMap.getView().getZoom();
                        if (zmm <= 8) labelText = '';

} else {
                        this.markerIcon = icon;

var labelText = '';
                        labelText     = (this.flight ? 'Call: '+this.flight : 'No Call');
                        labelText     = labelText +'
 ICAO: '+this.icao ;
                        labelText     = labelText +'
Alt: '+ (this.altitude ? parseInt(this.altitude/100) : '?');

// Selective labeling
                        var zmm = OLMap.getView().getZoom();
                        if (zmm <= 8) labelText = '';

this.markerStyle = new ol.style.Style({

text: new ol.style.Text({
                                      text: labelText ,
                                      fill: new ol.style.Fill({color: 'yellow'}),
                                      stroke: new ol.style.Stroke({color: this.labelColour, width: 4}),
                                      textAlign: 'left',
                                      textBaseline: "bottom",
                                      font: 'normal 10px tahoma',
                                      offsetX: +15,
                                      offsetY: +30
                               }),

image: this.markerIcon
                        });
                        this.markerStaticIcon = null;
                        this.markerStaticStyle = new ol.style.Style({});

}

This is great!

Can this label option be added to the next release of Dump1090 FA Debian/Raspbian packages please?

It’s too complicated to add for those who can’t do Linux and don’t have dump 1090 Mutability installed

Thanks

I added this to my dump1090-fa installation.
Does not require much skill, only need to add the lines to the file.
It’s as difficult as editing a text file.

Hmm

I’m still struggling!

I found the file to edit to add labels, but I did not have permission to overwrite it or save after editing. I tried to change permissions but it wouldn’t have it in SSH/SFTP or on the Pi itself

I use, for example:

sudo vi planeObject.js

Hi,

Hope OK I add a question to this topic.

I have successfully updated planeObject.js with the code suggested by Akissack earlier.

Now, I would like to add the start and end destinations e.g. LAX - DUB, but I struggle to find the right codes to add.

Not knowing if it is possible, but if then could anybody make a suggestion?

Cheers Steen

Origin & destination airports are not transmitted as part of ADS-B, you’d have to get them from somewhere else.