FlightAware Discussions

Mandatory ADS-B in EU?

I thought that larger planes was forced to use ADS-B out by now - How ever, I see a lot of KLM Cityhopper (Embraer) that are MLAT…

To pave the way for the transformation of the European surveillance infrastructure towards the less costly and more spectrum efficient ADS-B technology, Airspace Users operating in EU airspace with airplanes of more than 5.7 tons maximum certified takeoff mass (MTOM) or maximum cruising true airspeed capability greater than 250 knots (KTAS) have been mandated by European Commission per Commission Implementing Regulation EU No 1207/2011 (SPI IR), amended by EU No 1028/2014 and EU 2017/386 to implement SPI IR compliant avionics, including ADS-B version 2 (according to EASA CS-ACNS and EUROCAE ED-102A) before June 7th 2020. The mandate applies to all GAT/IFR flights within the EU airspace, including operators whose state of registry is outside of the EU but operate into or across the EU airspace.

What am I missing?

1 Like

The deadline was extended to 7th December this year because of covid: https://www.aviationtoday.com/2020/05/05/ads-b/

Arhh ok, makes sense - I do how ever wonder, that a large operator such as KLM didn’t fit the equipment.

1 Like

It may be that some airlines are planning on phasing out some of their older aircrafts. There is an exemption for aircrafts that are old and they can be used until 2025 without conversion to ADS-B.