Learn to fly from cratch in DA-42



what do you think about this:

Learn to fly from cratch in a DA-42 since that’s what you will end up flying… they told me that was no problem, they will learn me how to do my PPL in the DA-42… good or very bad idea ??

Also bad if the DA42 will be the only thing you will fly for many years ???

Thanks for your reaction


I think it’s a bad idea. The rental costs of a DA-42 would be twice what they are in a single engine. It only takes a few hours to transition from a single to a multi - and the money you save will more than pay for the costs of the instructor during your training. And in the end, you’d be rated for both single engines AND multis.

…just my 2


How could that possibly work? How will you conduct the solos? I don’t think a student certificate will let you be PIC in a multiengine aircraft for the purpose of solos, checkride, etc.

Even if it was possible from a regulation standpoint, it seems to be a very fast aircraft to stay ahead of while you’re learning.

NeedleNose is right about the cost element, too.


I got to thinkin’ about it a bit and realized that insurance may play a factor in it if you’re going to BUY a DA-42. Before an insurance company will insure your airplane, they will require that you have a certain number of hours of experience in that particular aircraft. The more hours you have in the type of aircraft, the less your insurance premiums would be, so there could actually be some possible benefit there. You should talk to an aviation insurance agent about it soon if you do in fact plan to buy.

…And then there is the regulatory side of things that dbaker mentioned that I didn’t think of.


I checked, and you can infact in my country do your PPL with a ME


Read FAR 61.87 (e). I know 2 people that have gotten their private in a multi engine airplane.

Remember there is no requirement to have insurance to fly an airplane. I know it’s stupid but still it’s not required. I flew with one guy in his BE55 that only had insurance if a MEI was with him, didn’t stop him from flying 200-300/yr in the airplane. His insurance required someone to be with him for 100 hours of dual given The funny thing is with in a week of meeting that 100hour requirement he ran out of fuel and crashed 1nm short of KERI. In fact he did have fuel but tried to out smart the x-feed system and basicly starved both engines of fuel, where if he had just shut one down he would have been fine.


If ever there was a twin made for this it’s the DA42, BUT, its not likely your best option.

I can’t imagine a fleet owner letting a student solo in a DA42 and expecting to keep his insurance.

If you buy the plane yourself, you will spend so much in insurance that you could have easily bought a DA40, built a couple hundred hours, and then swap it for about the same amount of cash.

You should try to price a DA40 purchase or lease with a guaranteed trade in deal on the 42 (lease deals are rare, but you could possibly find a dry lease if you know how to look). Cost out buying a used 40, and trading up. Cost out renting a 40 if one is available (glass 40’s don’t generally rent as many hours as basic trainers, so renting one is not so bad). Compare that cost to buying a 42 straight out of the gate and paying insurance if you can find it.

If you are doing this without insurance, you might be okay with it except your risks are high for personal injury and 50k or greater loss due to a simple boo boo. The insurance guys aren’t being careful for nothing, they know the likely outcome is at best a wheels up landing.

Lastly, it will be more fun and relaxing to just start with the simpler airplane, and you will fly more hours more quickly because of this. Same goes for the SR22 and their plans for students, even if the thing has the wheels locked down. You are just better off starting with a trainer. If you really want to roll off the hours, buy an older DA20 and park it on the ramp with no cover. That way, you waste no time on hangars and covers.