Last 24 Hours or Trailing 24 Hours

Folks,

What is the difference between positions shown over last 24 hours or Trailing 24 hours?

I can see the graphs show a different line but unsure what the readings actually mean.

Geffers

1 Like

older <- | trailing 24 hours | last 24 hours | -> newer

48 hrs ago ^        24 hrs ago ^  current time ^

Ah, OK. Thanks for prompt reply.

Geffers

Hi, resurrecting this old thread to check something. The Hourly Collection stats as of 2019 show Last 24 Hours, Trailing 24 Hours and Trailing 7 days.

collection

If Last 24 Hours means current time to 24 hours ago, and Trailing 24 Hours means 24 hours ago to 48 hours ago, then what exactly does Trailing 7 days mean in the context of an hourly collection graph?

Is it an hour by hour average of the 7x 24 hour periods from 48 hours ago to 216 hours (9 days) ago? Or is it an hour by hour average of the 5x 24 hour periods from 48 hours to 168 hours (7 days) ago? Or is it an hour by hour average of the last 7x 24 hour periods from the current time to 168 hours (7 days) ago? Or something else?

Thanks.

2 Likes

It shows the stats for each hour 7 days ago.
This lets you compare today (last 24 hours) with yesterday (trailing 24 hours) and the same day last week (trailing 7 days).

1 Like

I don’t think that can be correct.
When a feeder goes offline for some reason, even for a few hours, it takes a full week for the trailing 7 days graph to recover.
It is some form of rolling average.

If it were data on the same day last week, this wouldn’t happen

2 Likes

Yes, it looks like you are correct I don’t think it is working as it should.
I’m wondering if it is showing the data from 3 days ago instead of 7.
I’ll have to try and compare my data over a few days.

From the understanding i would assume that the “last seven days” is the average per hour on the last seven days.
If the feeder is down, the values should go down over the next seven days and then turn to 0 if it not comes up again.

But maybe i am totally wrong :face_with_monocle:

That is what I believe it does, but I don’t know if it is just a seven day rolling average or weighted in some way.

This does not look like a simple rolling average.

This is correct. (20 characters)

1 Like

So which of the below is correct, since they all involve “the last seven days” in some form?

–––––––––––––––––––
Is it an hour by hour average of the 7x 24 hour periods from 48 hours ago to 216 hours (9 days) ago? Or is it an hour by hour average of the 5x 24 hour periods from 48 hours to 168 hours (7 days) ago? Or is it an hour by hour average of the last 7x 24 hour periods from the current time to 168 hours (7 days) ago? Or something else?
–––––––––––––––––––

It is this (my previous reply quoted the wrong thing, doh!)

[...]
  and time_start >= (now() - '216 hours'::interval)
  and time_start < (now() - '48 hours'::interval)

But I would not use the stats page for anything where this level of detail matters; if you need close control over the meaning of the numbers, I’d strongly suggest collecting your own stats locally.

3 Likes

That’s great, thanks, it’s useful to know what it means.