Jessie

Is there a timetable for making the Jessie upgrade available?

My remote service provider is phasing out Wheezy support and I am a little hesitant about any custom mods FA may have/made to their package.

It would be nice if the web page included the current Raspbian version id in addition to the Piaware version .

Which jessie upgrade? Current sdcard images already use Jessie, the packages are built for jessie, wheezy packaging is just there for legacy support only.

so when you look for the operating system and see wheezy it is really Jessie?

pi@piaware ~ $ cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux 7 (wheezy)”
NAME=“Raspbian GNU/Linux”
VERSION_ID=“7”
VERSION=“7 (wheezy)”
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian

os-release should correctly reflect what you’re running AFAIK. I guess it is updated when a dist-upgrade happens. It is a conffile owned by the base-files package.

Other plases to look are /etc/debian_version and /etc/apt/sources.list

Here is what a PiAware 3 sdcard image looks like:

$ cat /etc/os-release 
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 8 (jessie)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="8"
VERSION="8 (jessie)"
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs"

If you think you should be on jessie but aren’t, can you explain how you installed and/or upgraded your system?

Yesterday i used the web interface to upgrade piaware and dump1090. All ok.

Today i ssh in and saw wheezy.
Then today i used the web interface to upgrade “all debian packages” and saw wheezy files downloading on the log page. Ssh again and wheezy there

I did not do the master upgrade for firmware, etc because of concerns with things that could crash .

I would not recommend trying to do a distribution upgrade via the stats page; ssh in and do it directly. I have actually disabled some of those commands for exactly this reason (but it is not live until next week)

Getting an automated wheezy to jessie upgrade right is tricky at best, and basically impossible when there are user modifications to contend with, so we don’t try because it’ll break stuff if it goes wrong. The piaware/dump1090 upgrade touches only the piaware and dump1090 packages. If you want to upgrade the whole system to jessie, you’ll either need to shepherd the distribution upgrade yourself, or reimage with a 3.x sdcard image.

FWIW the official line from the Pi foundation is to reimage if you want to upgrade:

raspberrypi.org/blog/raspbi … e-is-here/

Starting with a clean image is the recommended way to move to Jessie. If you really need to update a Wheezy image, we have tried an unsupported upgrade path which is documented on the forums here. This has been shown to work on a vanilla Wheezy image, but we can’t predict what effect it may have on any packages or data that you have installed, so this is very much at your own risk. Feel free to add your experiences and improvements to the upgrade process to the forum so others can benefit.

thanks for the info. I suspected this would be the answer/issue.