It's a good job I did my aerial and feeder work last week

We don’t a general discussion here so I hope this is an appropriate place to post this. We’re all friends and I’d like share what happened to me at the weekend.

Walking home from Pete’s on Saturday night, I tripped on a kerb and went down like a sack of proverbial spuds. My right arm took the brunt of my fall and I also bounced on my face. I laid there for a bit, unable to get up. It’s good to know that the fall detection feature of my watch kicked in and it wanted to call the emergency services but I stopped it. I’ve got lacerations on my chin and I almost bit through my tongue.

Some passers by stopped to help and a few minutes later, a Police car stopped. They checked me over, got me in their car and brought me home.

My wife and daughter took me to A&E which thankfully wasn’t busy. I was checked over and given an x-ray which showed my upper right arm (humerus) is broken in “at least” four places. We got back home at around 05:30 on Sunday morning.

Because of where it is, it can’t be plastered so I’ve got to keep my arm in a sling for six weeks for it to heal. This is a very bad break, it’s very painful and the painkillers I’ve been given are barely touching it.

It’s just as well I did the work on my system last week because there’s no way I’ll be able to go up a ladder for at least another couple of months.

Here is the x-ray when you can see four of the fracture points.

Be careful out there folks.

7 Likes

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Keith!

5 Likes

That’s a proper break!

Rest up and I hope you have a quick recovery

2 Likes

Ouch. That’s unfortunate - I hope you have a swift recovery.

My uncle had a very similar injury after falling off his bike a while back - frustrating and painful. Have they referred you to a physio? If not, you might want to ask about seeing one to help with stiffness and motion as it heals.

3 Likes

@keithma

Sorry to hear about your fall and fracture. Get well soon.

2 Likes

Not yet but it only happened two days ago. I’ve got my first appointment at the fracture clinic on Thursday.

1 Like

I asked because I know it can be somewhat hit or miss as to how proactive they are with referrals depending on your local health authority. Where I live you often have to chase stuff like that yourself.

2 Likes

It can also depend on the doctor. My mum broke her femur last year. The doc made little effort regarding physio.

2 Likes

I sincerely wish you a good recovery !

2 Likes

OUCH Keith! Glad it didn’t happen while you were working on your aerial - could have been much worse.

2 Likes

Ouch man, I am sorry!

2 Likes

I’ve seen the consultant and I have to have surgery on my shoulder. I asked how many fractures there are and he stopped counting at eight. He described it as totally shattered and a ‘mush’ in there.

He said that when it’s all done, the best case scenario (one which he’d call a success) is where I can raise my arm to shoulder height :cry:

It’s being done next Tuesday.

5 Likes

Holy shit…
Really bad having such a thing happening.

My best wishes and get well soon.

3 Likes

Sounds like you’ve done a proper number there then. Hope everything goes OK.

2 Likes

Hope your surgery goes well and you get maximum restoration.

Best wishes. Get well soon.

3 Likes

Will keep you in my prayers, Keith.

Wishing your surgeon the highest degree of success in your operation.

2 Likes

Are you getting a new shoulder? My sister had both of hers replaced. They work well.

No. They will be repairing the bones as best as possible.

Best wishes for the op Keith.

2 Likes

Just adding my wishes for a speedy recovery Keith.

I’d send you some grapes and a bunch of flowers but I haven’t managed to find a Matter Transporter Interface to fit my computer yet.

I fell over a kerb on my way to the Doctors’ surgery (of all places) earlier in the year but fortunately it was only my favourite watch and my pride that was damaged when I hit the deck.

1 Like