Interested in web service, need some help getting started

Hello there,

I would like to develop an app for a flight department, and am interested in adding functionality to it by using the web service available here at FlightAware.

I have no experience with web services, can someone point me to a good primer? Or even share some C# (I am coding the entire app in VS 2005 using C#) code integrating a web service into a Windows app?

Thanks,

Is this what you’re looking for: FlightAware > Commercial > DirectFlight > Examples > Microsoft .NET

Hey Daniel,

Thanks for posting back. I have seen that example, and my question is on the second code snippet, the one right after “Run commands”, is that supposed to be run in a command window?

I normally compile inside the IDE, I am not used to the command-line approach, that might be why I am a bit confused…

Also, do I need the DirectFlight.cs file? If so, where do I get it?

Thanks,

I’m not the .NET guy here so I can’t speak with real authority, but my understanding is that you can just run those commands in the same directory as your other .cs code for the application and it will generate the DirectFlight.cs that you need to compile it.

Hey Daniel,

Thanks again for following up.

I tried running wsdl flightaware.com/commercial/direc … /wsdl1.xml from a command line in my project’s directory, but wsdl is not a recognized command.

Anyone has any ideas?

Thanks,

BTW, I like to think I am fairly decent at searching the net. I have visited countless sites looking for info, and only found relatively in-depth tutorials, nothing on how to do some basic web service connections, like what I am trying to do.

Hi miguez. The wsdl.exe program is found in a directory something like “C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\SDK\v1.1\Bin” but may depend on your IDE version. The best way to do this is to go to:

Start Menu → Visual Studio .NET 200x → Visual Studio .NET Tools → Visual Studio .NET 200x Command Prompt

That will open a command prompt window with the PATH set automatically so the wsdl.exe program can be found. From there, change to your project directory and run the wsdl command line with the DirectFlight WSDL url. This should create DirectFlight.cs which you can then add to your project from the IDE.

Hello ghewgill,

Thanks for the tip. I was able to create my DirectFlight.cs (man I feel dumb for not just searching for wsdl.exe, especially in Vista!), which I then added to my test project. So far so good.

I had a couple of hiccups while trying to compile, but those were solved by adding System.Web.Services to the Refereces category in the Solution Explorer (these compilation errors were stemmed by expressions in DirectFlight.cs, which needed this reference).

After straightening those out, I had a very simple code that compiled. It is when trying to run it that I ran into a problem I was not able to debug or troubleshoot, probably due to my inexperience in Web Services. I have attached some pictures to make it a little clearer.

In trying to eliminate unkowns, I then ran an exact copy of your .NET example you mentioned above, and got the same exact result for the df.Enroute method. I removed that call, and got the same exception for the df.METAR method.

Picture 1: This is an overall view of the IDE, with the thrown exception being displayed.
http://www.leadingedgesim.com/miguez/pics/DirectFlight/ide.png

Picture 2: This is a close-up view of the exception.
http://www.leadingedgesim.com/miguez/pics/DirectFlight/exception.png

Picture 3: This is my test code, which should retrieve a METAR for KTEB.
http://www.leadingedgesim.com/miguez/pics/DirectFlight/code.png

When running your sample code, I did copy the exception results (from both the entire code and the one where df.Enroute had beem removed) to the clipboard, and this is what I got respectively:

System.Net.WebException was unhandled
  Message="The server committed a protocol violation. Section=ResponseStatusLine"
  Source="System.Web.Services"
  StackTrace:
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object] parameters)
       at DirectFlight.Enroute(String airport, Int32 howMany, String filter, Int32 offset) in C:\Users\Fabio\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\ConsoleApplication1\ConsoleApplication1\DirectFlight.cs:line 472
       at test.Main(String] args) in C:\Users\Fabio\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\ConsoleApplication1\ConsoleApplication1\Program.cs:line 9
       at System.AppDomain.nExecuteAssembly(Assembly assembly, String] args)
       at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile, Evidence assemblySecurity, String] args)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssembly()
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

System.Net.WebException was unhandled
  Message="The server committed a protocol violation. Section=ResponseStatusLine"
  Source="System.Web.Services"
  StackTrace:
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.WebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.HttpWebClientProtocol.GetWebResponse(WebRequest request)
       at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object] parameters)
       at DirectFlight.METAR(String airport) in C:\Users\Fabio\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\ConsoleApplication1\ConsoleApplication1\DirectFlight.cs:line 874
       at test.Main(String] args) in C:\Users\Fabio\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\ConsoleApplication1\ConsoleApplication1\Program.cs:line 15
       at System.AppDomain.nExecuteAssembly(Assembly assembly, String] args)
       at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile, Evidence assemblySecurity, String] args)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssembly()
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

It seems to me the GetWebResponse method might be the culprit, but I am not 100% on that. Is it possible my authentication is no good, and therefore I get no response from the server? Just thinking out loud…

For the record, I am running Vista RC1, and using VS 2005 with .NET 2.0 installed.

Anyhow, thanks for the help so far, looking forward to getting this working.

Best regards,

Fabio Miguez

You need a DirectFlight API key. Your program is likely crashing because of an authentication failure.

Hello Daniel,

I have just entered my payment information, and successfully obtained a key, which I proceeded to enter in my code. No joy, same crash.

Any ideas?

Thanks, especially for providing support on the weekends, your service is gaining points on my book.

Glad to help. We’re still seeing an authentication failure. Did you rebuild your application with the new username/key?

Hello Daniel,

Yep, I was about to post a picture of the code once again, just to be sure, with my username and key blurred out, but I guess that would be futil, as nothing has changed except the username and key.

I did go back and check that the key is valid on your website, and that I was using it properly in the code. Everything looks good here.

Would you like for me to get in touch with you via email to check and make sure this is a good key indeed? I am not sure if that would help, as your website already confirmed it’s good, but I am running out of ideas.

Best regards,

Feel free to e-mail me the authentication information you’re using. Make sure you’re using the long key we provided you rather than the password you selected.

Hello Daniel,

I PMed you my key, since I did not find your email in your profile.

Thanks,

I had previously been able to access the server with my info, but today the system just returns errors. I think the problem may be on the FlightAware end. I e-mailed the webmaster with the error, but here’s what I’m getting now (a var_dump of the object the FlightAware returns):

object(soap_fault)(8) {
  "error_message_prefix"]=>
  string(0) ""
  "mode"]=>
  int(1)
  "level"]=>
  int(1024)
  "code"]=>
  string(4) "HTTP"
  "message"]=>
  string(6213) "<!Doctype HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<Html>
<Head>
<Title>Server Error</Title>
<!-- Author: bwelch -->
<META HTTP-Equiv=Editor Content="SunLabs WebTk 1.0demo 3/10/97">
</Head>

<Body>

<h1>Server Error</h1>
<h4>Sun Nov 05 13:16:01 EST 2006</h4>
<p>
The server encountered an internal error when handling your page.
<p>
Tcl-Webserver/3.5.1 May 27, 2004<br>Tcl version 8.4.13
<p>
<form action=/mail/bugreport method=post>
<input type=hidden name=errorInfo value="no connection to the server

while executing
"pg_select $asdidb "SELECT id,disabled FROM directflight_keys
				WHERE user_id = (SELECT id FROM accounts_users WHERE username ILIKE [pg_quote $userna..."
    (procedure "flightaware_billing_directFlight_authenticate" line 8)
    invoked from within
"flightaware_billing_directFlight_authenticate $username $key"
    (procedure "DirectFlight_Authenticate" line 47)
    invoked from within
"DirectFlight_Authenticate sock4 /soap/DirectFlight/go"
    ("eval" body line 1)
    invoked from within
"eval $hook [list $sock $url]"">
<input type=hidden name=env value="STY 89161.ttyp5.juliet HOME /usr/home/karl LOGNAME root PWD /usr/local/tclhttpd/custom MAIL /var/mail/karl SSH_CLIENT {69.151.136.146 65474 22} SUDO_UID 1001 TERMCAP SC|screen|VT\ 100/ANSI\ X3.64\ virtual\ terminal:\\
	:DO=\\E\%dB:LE=\\E\%dD:RI=\\E\%dC:UP=\\E\%dA:bs:bt=\\E\[Z:\\
	:cd=\\E\[J:ce=\\E\[K:cl=\\E\[H\\E\[J:cm=\\E\[%i%d\;%dH:ct=\\E\[3g:\\
	:do=^J:nd=\\E\[C:pt:rc=\\E8:rs=\\Ec:sc=\\E7:st=\\EH:up=\\EM:\\
	:le=^H:bl=^G:cr=^M:it#8:ho=\\E\[H:nw=\\EE:ta=^I:is=\\E)0:\\
	:li#53:co#80:am:xn:xv:LP:sr=\\EM:al=\\E\[L:AL=\\E\[%dL:\\
	:cs=\\E\[%i%d\;%dr:dl=\\E\[M:DL=\\E\[%dM:dc=\\E\[P:DC=\\E\[%dP:\\
	:im=\\E\[4h:ei=\\E\[4l:mi:IC=\\E\[%d@:ks=\\E\[?1h\\E=:\\
	:ke=\\E\[?1l\\E>:vi=\\E\[?25l:ve=\\E\[34h\\E\[?25h:vs=\\E\[34l:\\
	:ti=\\E\[?1049h:te=\\E\[?1049l:us=\\E\[4m:ue=\\E\[24m:so=\\E\[3m:\\
	:se=\\E\[23m:md=\\E\[1m:mr=\\E\[7m:me=\\E\[m:ms:\\
	:Co#8:pa#64:AF=\\E\[3%dm:AB=\\E\[4%dm:op=\\E\[39\;49m:AX:G0:\\
	:as=\\E(0:ae=\\E(B:\\
	:ac=\\140\\140aaffggjjkkllmmnnooppqqrrssttuuvvwwxxyyzz\{\{||\}\}~~..--++,,hhII00:\\
	:k0=\\E\[10~:k1=\\EOP:k2=\\EOQ:k3=\\EOR:k4=\\EOS:k5=\\E\[15~:\\
	:k6=\\E\[17~:k7=\\E\[18~:k8=\\E\[19~:k9=\\E\[20~:k\;=\\E\[21~:\\
	:F1=\\E\[23~:F2=\\E\[24~:kb=^H:kh=\\E\[1~:@1=\\E\[1~:kH=\\E\[4~:\\
	:@7=\\E\[4~:kN=\\E\[6~:kP=\\E\[5~:kI=\\E\[2~:kD=\\E\[3~:ku=\\EOA:\\
	:kd=\\EOB:kr=\\EOC:kl=\\EOD:km: SUDO_GID 1001 BLOCKSIZE K SSH_AUTH_SOCK /tmp/ssh-MG6tOFpOz3/agent.88751 HTTP_CHANNEL sock4 WINDOW 0 CVS_RSH ssh FTP_PASSIVE_MODE YES SHELL /usr/local/bin/bash TERM screen CVSROOT cvs.flightaware.com:/usr/home/cvs SUDO_COMMAND /usr/local/bin/bash SHLVL 3 SUDO_USER karl PGCLIENTENCODING UNICODE SSH_CONNECTION {69.151.136.146 65474 216.52.171.102 22} PATH /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/home/karl/bin TZ EST5EDT SSH_TTY /dev/ttyp5 _ /usr/local/bin/tclsh8.4 EDITOR vi LC_ALL C USER root PAGER less">

<input type=hidden name=email value=webmaster@juliet.flightaware.com>
<input type=submit value="Submit auto bug report to webmaster@juliet.flightaware.com">
</form>
<p>
<p>
<form action=/debug/errorInfo method=post>

while executing
				WHERE user_id = (SELECT id FROM accounts_users WHERE username ILIKE [pg_quote $userna..."
    invoked from within
    invoked from within
    ("eval" body line 1)
    invoked from within
<input type=hidden name=env value="STY 89161.ttyp5.juliet HOME /usr/home/karl LOGNAME root PWD /usr/local/tclhttpd/custom MAIL /var/mail/karl SSH_CLIENT {69.151.136.146 65474 22} SUDO_UID 1001 TERMCAP SC|screen|VT\ 100/ANSI\ X3.64\ virtual\ terminal:\\
	:ac=\\140\\140aaffggjjkkllmmnnooppqqrrssttuuvvwwxxyyzz\{\{||\}\}~~..--++,,hhII00:\\
	:kd=\\EOB:kr=\\EOC:kl=\\EOD:km: SUDO_GID 1001 BLOCKSIZE K SSH_AUTH_SOCK /tmp/ssh-MG6tOFpOz3/agent.88751 HTTP_CHANNEL sock4 WINDOW 0 CVS_RSH ssh FTP_PASSIVE_MODE YES SHELL /usr/local/bin/bash TERM screen CVSROOT cvs.flightaware.com:/usr/home/cvs SUDO_COMMAND /usr/local/bin/bash SHLVL 3 SUDO_USER karl PGCLIENTENCODING UNICODE SSH_CONNECTION {69.151.136.146 65474 216.52.171.102 22} PATH /sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/home/karl/bin TZ EST5EDT SSH_TTY /dev/ttyp5 _ /usr/local/bin/tclsh8.4 EDITOR vi LC_ALL C USER root PAGER less">
<input type=hidden name=title value="Error Info">
<input type=submit value="See the error info">
</form>
<p>
<a HREF=mailto:webmaster@juliet.flightaware.com>Send email to webmaster@juliet.flightaware.com</a>.
<p>
<a HREF="/index.html">Home</a>

</Body>
</Html>

"
  ["userinfo"]=>
  string(0) ""
  "backtrace"]=>
  array(8) {
    [0]=>
    array(6) {
      "file"]=>
      string(30) "/usr/share/pear/SOAP/Fault.php"
      "line"]=>
      int(52)
      "function"]=>
      string(10) "pear_error"
      "class"]=>
      string(10) "pear_error"
      "type"]=>
      string(2) "::"
      "args"]=>
      array(5) {
        [0]=>
<Html>
<Head>
</Head>
<Body>

<h1>Server Error</h1>
<p>
<p>
<p>

while executing
    invoked from within
    invoked from within
    ("eval" body line 1)
    invoked from within
<input type=submit value="Submit auto bug report to webmaster@juliet.flightaware.com">
</form>
<p>

<p>

while executing
    invoked from within
    invoked from within
    ("eval" body line 1)
    invoked from within
</form>
<p>
<a HREF=mailto:webmaster@juliet.flightaware.com>Send email to webmaster@juliet.flightaware.com</a>.
<p>

</Body>
</Html>

"
        [1]=>
        string(4) "HTTP"
        [2]=>
        NULL
        [3]=>
        NULL
        [4]=>
        string(0) ""
      }
    }
    [1]=>
    array(6) {
      "file"]=>
      string(29) "/usr/share/pear/SOAP/Base.php"
      "line"]=>
      int(205)
      "function"]=>
      string(10) "soap_fault"
      "class"]=>
      string(10) "soap_fault"
      "type"]=>
      string(2) "->"
      "args"]=>
      array(6) {
        [0]=>
<Html>
<Head>
</Head>
<Body>

<h1>Server Error</h1>

<p>
<p>
<p>

while executing
    invoked from within
    invoked from within
    ("eval" body line 1)
    invoked from within
</form>
<p>
<p>

while executing
    invoked from within
    invoked from within
    ("eval" body line 1)
    invoked from within

</form>
<p>
<p>

</Body>
</Html>

"
        [1]=>
        string(4) "HTTP"
        [2]=>
        string(0) ""
        [3]=>
        string(0) ""
        [4]=>
        NULL
        [5]=>
        NULL
      }
    }
    [2]=>
    array(6) {
      "file"]=>
      string(39) "/usr/share/pear/SOAP/Transport/HTTP.php"
      "line"]=>
      int(403)
      "function"]=>
      string(15) "_raisesoapfault"
      "class"]=>
      string(19) "soap_transport_http"
      "type"]=>
      string(2) "->"
      "args"]=>
      array(1) {
        [0]=>
<Html>
<Head>

</Head>
<Body>

<h1>Server Error</h1>
<p>
<p>

<p>

while executing
    invoked from within
    invoked from within
    ("eval" body line 1)
    invoked from within
</form>
<p>
<p>

while executing
    invoked from within
    invoked from within
    ("eval" body line 1)
    invoked from within
</form>
<p>

<p>

</Body>
</Html>

"
      }
    }
    [3]=>
    array(6) {
      "file"]=>
      "line"]=>
      int(537)
      "function"]=>
      string(14) "_parseresponse"
      "class"]=>
      "type"]=>
      string(2) "->"
      "args"]=>
      array(0) {
      }
    }
    [4]=>
    array(6) {
      "file"]=>
      "line"]=>
      int(153)
      "function"]=>
      string(9) "_sendhttp"
      "class"]=>
      "type"]=>
      string(2) "->"
      "args"]=>
      array(2) {
        [0]=>
        string(612) "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<SOAP-ENV:Envelope  xmlns:SOAP-ENV="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
 xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
 xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
 xmlns:SOAP-ENC="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
 xmlns:ns4="FlightAwareDirectFlight"
 SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
<SOAP-ENV:Body>

<ns4:Search>
<query xsi:type="xsd:string">-idents RPA*</query>
<howMany xsi:type="xsd:int">15</howMany>

<offset xsi:type="xsd:int">0</offset></ns4:Search>
</SOAP-ENV:Body>
</SOAP-ENV:Envelope>
"
        [1]=>
        array(10) {
          "user"]=>
          string(12) "USER ID REMOVED"
          "pass"]=>
          string(40) "PASSWORD REMOVED"
          "trace"]=>
          int(0)
          "input"]=>
          string(5) "parse"
          "result"]=>
          string(5) "parse"
          "parameters"]=>
          bool(false)
          "namespace"]=>
          string(23) "FlightAwareDirectFlight"
          "soapaction"]=>
          "style"]=>
          string(3) "rpc"
          "use"]=>
          string(7) "encoded"
        }
      }
    }
    [5]=>
    array(6) {
      "file"]=>
      string(31) "/usr/share/pear/SOAP/Client.php"
      "line"]=>
      int(324)
      "function"]=>
      string(4) "send"
      "class"]=>
      "type"]=>
      string(2) "->"
      "args"]=>
      array(2) {
        [0]=>
        string(612) "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<SOAP-ENV:Envelope  xmlns:SOAP-ENV="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/"
 xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
 xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
 xmlns:SOAP-ENC="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"
 xmlns:ns4="FlightAwareDirectFlight"
 SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
<SOAP-ENV:Body>

<ns4:Search>
<query xsi:type="xsd:string">-idents RPA*</query>
<howMany xsi:type="xsd:int">15</howMany>
<offset xsi:type="xsd:int">0</offset></ns4:Search>

</SOAP-ENV:Body>
</SOAP-ENV:Envelope>
"
        [1]=>
        array(10) {
          "user"]=>
          string(12) "USER ID REMOVED"
          "pass"]=>
          string(40) "PASSWORD REMOVED"
          "trace"]=>
          int(0)
          "input"]=>
          string(5) "parse"
          "result"]=>
          string(5) "parse"
          "parameters"]=>
          bool(false)
          "namespace"]=>
          "soapaction"]=>
          "style"]=>
          string(3) "rpc"
          "use"]=>
          string(7) "encoded"
        }
      }
    }
    [6]=>
    array(6) {
      "file"]=>
      string(50) "/usr/share/pear/SOAP/WSDL.php(727) : eval()'d code"
      "line"]=>
      int(45)
      "function"]=>
      string(4) "call"
      "class"]=>
      string(40) "webservice_directflight_directflightsoap"
      "type"]=>
      string(2) "->"
      "args"]=>
      array(3) {
        [0]=>
        string(6) "Search"
        [1]=>
        array(3) {
          "query"]=>
          string(12) "-idents RPA*"
          "howMany"]=>
          int(15)
          "offset"]=>
          int(0)
        }
        [2]=>
        array(4) {
          "namespace"]=>
          "soapaction"]=>
          "style"]=>
          string(3) "rpc"
          "use"]=>
          string(7) "encoded"
        }
      }
    }
    [7]=>
    array(6) {
      "file"]=>
      string(76) "/var/www/vhosts/republicpilots.org/subdomains/sandbox/httpdocs/test_soap.php"
      "line"]=>
      int(155)
      "function"]=>
      string(6) "search"
      "class"]=>
      string(40) "webservice_directflight_directflightsoap"
      "type"]=>
      string(2) "->"
      "args"]=>
      array(3) {
        [0]=>
        string(12) "-idents RPA*"
        [1]=>
        int(15)
        [2]=>
        int(0)
      }
    }
  }
  "callback"]=>
  NULL
}

Our apologies – still ironing out the kinks; give it a shot now.

Works now…

I still have the same problem, no improvement, but I noticed I am testing this about one hour after strikefinder was successful, maybe the server has gone down again?

Actually, I’ve been using the system pretty extensively for development this afternoon, and just pulled several queries from the site, so the server seems to still be up and running right now.

If I knew anything about your platform, I’d try to help, but unfortunately I’m strictly a PHP guy…

Hey strikefinder,

Thanks anyways, let’s see if Daniel Baker or ghewgill will be able to help me.

What puzzles me is that even their example code is not running, and from what I can gather, it is either an authentication problem or a protocol problem.

Best regards,

Hi, miguez. We’re still seeing authentication failures from your client. Are you sure you recompiled after adding your API key?

Is it possible you’re not running Form1() before you run button1_Click?