in the event of a water landing..

alright what are the true stats. of me actually living and walking, well i guess swimming away from an aircraft that had to land in the water. i dont think you’d make it honestly. the tail section of the aircradt would probably be the first to make contact with the water, which in turn, would rip it off from the plane itself. which in turn would sink the aircraft pulling it down with the tail section. basically i dont think you would make it out alive if that scence occurd. but please prove me wrong… :wink:
oh and the plane is a 737 type of aircraft set up

Ethiopian flight 961 was a hijacked 737 that made a water landing near Madagascar. 123 out of 175 passenger’s survived. This is particularly famous because it was caught on video.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_ … Flight_961

Why don’t you ask the 50 survivors of ET961.

I was thinking the samething. I reamember seeing it on RealTV but a lot survived because people on the beach saved them from drowning of there injuries but others swam to the beach.

But it wasn’t a 737.

Ethiopian Airlines Flight 961 was a 767 with a LOT of “middle” seats! Id say the chances of surviving would be better on a 737.
…just my 2

I was telling magnetoz that it wasn’t a 737.

Correct… a 767!. My mistake.

But I think the question is not “what are my odds of surviving a water landing,” but what are my odds of actually being in a water landing. Virtually nill. Especially in a passenger airliner.

Good point but there are still the flights that fly over the oceans.

Shit happens. No matter how much you prepare for things, stuff will break and go wrong. The Air Transat fuel leak could easily have been an ocean ditching, and something like that may happen again.

The whole “shit happens” just to let everyone know I wasn’t making it out to be an asshole. So I hope you don’t get any ideas PLEASE.

Read the OP’s entire original post (especially the END):
http://discussions.flightaware.com/viewtopic.php?p=11800#11800

Then re-read my 2 reply and see if things make sense… :wink:
That’s what happens when more than five messages are posted in a thread in this forum! :laughing:

My understanding of the OP’s question is basically, “What are the odds of surviving a water landing in a 737?”

My reply: much better than that of a 767 which proved to have survivors - thus proving the OP wrong!!! :bulb:

OK OK I get it now I thought he was saying that it was a 737 that crashed. I can see clearly now the rain is gone! Sorry for singing out loud I won’t do it again. HAHA

magnetoz DID in fact say Ethiopian Airlines Flight 961 was a 737, and you were correct in scolding him for it!

I was backing you up - confirming that it was indeed a 767, and then tried like hell to get things back on topic setting things straight for the OP…

Silly me… for I should’ve known any attempt to get such a thread back on topic again… :blush:

Go ahead and sing out loud - it drives the rats away! :wink:

I’ve gone through underwater egress training at Survival Systems USA.
http://www.survivalsystemsinc.com/mets.htm
It’s a sobering experience, but it was very rewarding. Even if an occupant survives the initial impact, finding your way out of your seat and out of the airplane is almost impossible without this training. (It is only slightly less impossible even WITH egress training.)
I actually found it to be kinda fun, in a challenging sort of way. We practiced egressing from all the different doors in the mock airplane, at various angles. (though most were upside-down) Helicopters are notorious for flipping over after ditching since all the ‘heavy bits’ are up top.
If you dont already (and you really should), next time youre on an airliner count and memorize the rows to the nearest exit, and dont forget to look behind you. In any accident, most likely it will be quite difficult to see, whether due to smoke, fire, fumes, dark, or injury; so “looking” for the exit might be impossible.
We were taught to brace for impact, unbelt, and then swim (kinda swim, more like shuffle your butt from seat to seat, always keeping the same relative ‘up’ direction as the airplane) to the exit, hook your legs around the seat bottom, use a known location for the exit handle (like your forhead to reach the window latch or your knee for a helicopter door latch), operate the handle, and escape. All with eyes closed, upside down, underwater.
The best one was where I was in the front left seat, and both the right-seater and I had to wait until one of the other people in the back opened their exit before we could follow. That was a good one because I was unbelted and ready to get the hell out of there a good hour before the exit was open and the other two escaped. OK, so it wasn’t an hour, but it sure felt that way!
It is a good course for any pilot, you never know!
I knew one of these guys:http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20060110X00041&key=1
and this report always fascinates me:http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20010710X01344&ntsbno=SEA01WA125&akey=1
Paraphrasing: PC12 ditches of the coast of Japan. All 4 occupants escape into the raft from THE MAIN CABIN DOOR!?? Over a period of SEVERAL HOURS the occupants lost sight of the floating aircraft and were rescued by container ship some 15 hours later.
Two things:
1.Why on EARTH would you open the main cabin door and not the overwing exit when the airplane is floating in rough water?
2. Exactly how empty were the fuel tanks to enable the airplane to float for so many hours with the interior now flooded by the open cabin door?

Hey pika, I know where you can get that PC12 you wanted! Its somewhere at the bottom of the western Pacific Ocean!