HOWTO: Airspy mini and Airspy R2: Piaware / dump1090-fa configuration

You installed that with my script yes :wink:
What does it say about what the airspy-conf is compatible with?

Plug it in and run the script i donā€™t see any issues.

By all means try it first without going up the ladder.
It shouldnā€™t make reception worse.

The airspy will be just fine without an LNA if the antenna has good gain.
Itā€™s just that when you spend the money for an airspy mini itā€™s usually worth it to also pick up a filtered LNA so itā€™s being used to the full potential.

Thanks for taking the time to reply wiedehopf,

Well looking back through the command line history it looks like I installed it by;

373 wget https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/p/piaware-support/piaware-repository_4.0_all.deb
374 dpkg -i piaware-repository_4.0_all.deb
375 sudo dpkg -i piaware-repository_4.0_all.deb
376 sudo apt-get update
377 sudo apt-get install dump1090-fa

And Iā€™ve just read through your script on Github and donā€™t see anything in there about Airspy? :confused:

Youā€™ll have to bear with me because Iā€™m new to Pi/Linux and the only thing Iā€™ve ever ā€˜programmedā€™ in my life would have been something like this back in the 80ā€™s;

10 PRINT ā€œGlynā€
20 GOTO 10
:rofl:
Iā€™m just being overly cautious as my setup started out with a non-standard installation of rbfeeder and has been modified from thereON with more than a little help from abcd spread across several forums and although I have spent hours reading many threads on various forums and following his instructions I wonā€™t pretend I understand most of it. :blush:

Yeah the Pi is in the side of the loft closest to the external antenna with 2m Westflex 103 snaking its way in from outside where the Watson Radar Extender sits about 5m up a pole. Itā€™s 1m tall with 3 small radials at its base and purported to have a 6dB gain which I always take with a pinch of salt but its been a great antenna since 2008 and still seems to be going strong.

I also purchased at that same time the very narrow band Kuhne 1090 A TM LNA which has a claimed 30dB gain with a noise figure of 0.5dB but also has a built-in two-pole band pass filter 1070-1110MHz between the two amplifier stages but apart from that one brief outing it has spent the rest of its life back in its box! Figured now might be the time for it to shine! :laughing:

Iā€™m just putting my ducks in a row and trying in vain to understand what it all means before I attempt to install airspy-adsb using your airspy-conf script from your Github and plugging in the Mini.

Enjoy your Christmas!

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

no i mean airspy-conf ā€¦
GitHub - wiedehopf/airspy-conf: Configure airspy_adsb for use with readsb or piaware.

dump1090-fa or readsb needs to be installed before you run this script otherwise the script canā€™t change the configuration. It should work very well for example on a piaware-sd card image :slight_smile: A normal Raspbian sd card image also works well. (On a Raspberry Pi the script will even install dump1090-fa for you if itā€™s not present)

Well if you configured fr24feed and rb24feed correctly to use dump1090-fa data ā€¦ itā€™s all good.
Raspbian Lite: ADS B receiver Ā· wiedehopf/adsb-wiki Wiki Ā· GitHub
Just for good measure iā€™ll recommend using my dump1090-fa install script ā€¦ it will fix pretty much all issues i ran across. (as you might guess iā€™ve become tired of fixing issues with fr24feed configurations and dump1090-fa and left-over dump1090 files)

Well except for rbfeeder ā€¦ a setup from the ground up is explained in the link above.
So ā€¦ if you screw something up just start fresh or try on a 2nd sd-card.
Anyhow once you have dump1090-fa or readsb running as your decoder and none of the feeders try to occupy the SDR ā€¦ only thing wrong can be the feeders not working and well i donā€™t care about that.
airnav and fr24 both have terrible feeder software ā€¦ fr24 probably worse.

Well read the scripts then ā€¦ try and understand how the TCP connections between all the programs work.
Look at the journalctl log ā€¦

Already told you just run the script. I did that because i knew you had dump1090-fa running and thatā€™s all that is required.
Other details of the setup donā€™t matter.
The feeders just connect to dump1090-fa and get the data from there ā€¦ that interface isnā€™t changed by the airspy script.

Oh also see this: GitHub - wiedehopf/airspy-conf: Configure airspy_adsb for use with readsb or piaware.
The script should revert pretty well.

Merry Christmas :slight_smile:

@GlynH

Before you start making any modifications or running any scripts for ā€œAirSpy miniā€, make a backup copy of your microSD card on your Windows PC using Wi32DiskImager. It may take about 10 minutes to 30 minutes depending on microSD card size and speed of your Windiws computer.

This backup will make it easy to revert to your current working system if something goes wrong during attempt to add AirSpy mini.

Oh but I already do! :slightly_smiling_face:

Earlier today (just prior to installing piaware) I took two SD Card backups but I normally use SD Card Copier from the Accessories menu on the Pi itself.

I also have saved two SD Card copies of my Pi-hole machine and of a vanilla Pi just ticking away doing nothing really but waiting for its chance to step into the breach in case of hardware failure. :blush:

Iā€™m leaving nothing to chance! :grinning:

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Thanks for the reply as always wiedehopf.

Oh Iā€™ve already read your airspy-conf GitHub and most of your scripts & stuff already and keep coming back for more! Iā€™m learning slowly but its a lot to take in especially when Iā€™m wading through 500/600/800 post threads on similar subjects also. :grimacing:

Although some of my questions are answered by all of this reading sometimes it seems like more questions arise so thatā€™s usually when I end up posting for clarification.

If it gives you some idea I purchased my very first Pi4 in October 2019 for the sole purpose of running Pi-hole but it wasnā€™t until October 2020 that I plucked up enough courage to install it! :crazy_face:

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Found this today (airspy plastered all over it
Screenshot_177

Screenshot_179
Now would this go to 24mhz?
i know airspy mini / r2 both state
12-bit ADC @ 20 MSPS (10.4 ENOB, 70dB SNR, 95dB SFDR)
as does this new r2
isit a copy fake or other or GEN thing from SDR
Full info here NEW Arrival AIRSPY R2 Software Defined Radio SDR Receiver|Satellite TV Receiver| - AliExpress

Do you really think it would be genuine if itā€™s not in our official website? Just another fake.

2 Likes

Thankyou for your reply
just wanted a conformation

Whaaat? You donā€™t make Hi-Res Audio Airspys? :rofl:

2 Likes

Has something changed on your setup? Youā€™re producing hundreds of ā€˜othersā€™ each day.

Hi Keith,

Interesting observation!

Firstly- the bad news is Iā€™m moving soon so my site will likely go off air in a couple of months. Dissapointing, but unfortunately the downside of a moveā€¦

I had tweaked various values over the pandemic- trying to squeeze out as much as possible but possibly not in the most scientific way. Currently I am running:-

GAIN=17
OPTIONS= -v -f 1 -b -w 2 -p -e 10.9
SAMPLE_RATE=20

I have an Uptronics filtered preamp- so the gain reduction makes sense I think. It means Iā€™m not overloading for near traffic- the downside is Iā€™m probably not quite seeing as far as I used to.

Iā€™m not sure what else infucences the ā€œothersā€ category though.

Right now, Iā€™m seeing around 1400 messages/sec (Iā€™ve seen over 2200 in ā€œnormalā€ times) and about 18% of that is being MLATā€™d.

I was never quite convinced the higher sample rate really made much difference either.

Where are you sitting settings wise now perhaps?

Kind Regards,

Andy.

Hi Andy,

Itā€™s been so long since I adjusted mine, I had to go look in the history on my tracker to remember which file I needed to edit!

Iā€™m running gain at 13 and the options:

OPTIONS= -v -f 1 -e 9.9 -w 5 -t 300

Sample rate is 20.

If I take e any higher, I start getting dropped samples and thatā€™s when the ā€˜othersā€™ start climbing up and my gain is optimal for here with the RTL-SDR LNA.

I noticed it a few weeks ago but Iā€™ve had a lot on my plate with two family bereavements recently so didnā€™t even think to mention it. It was quite obvious because the count went up from being low to the multiple hundreds but as it was over a month ago, that data has disappeared from your stats page now.

:frowning: No chance of getting a receiver up where youā€™re going to?

-w 2

Thatā€™s that will produce the ā€œotherā€ stuff.
Especially combined with that preamble threshold.

3 will be better but still not great.
4 or 5 is where itā€™s at ā€¦ only legit messages then :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Iā€™ve very sorry to hear that news. I hope you and family and managing ok. Been a very weird year this hasnā€™t itā€¦

In the longer term maybe- we are moving witih work really so temporary location for a while. Will make it tough to set anything up for now and the Reading location was pretty good in terms of itā€™s coverage.

If I was staying in Reading I would like to have looked at using three directional antennas to see if the agregate was better than an omni. Also wanted to have a look at space diversity which should work well at these frequencies and distances too. Alas there is never enough time for some of these projectsā€¦

Thanks for that advice too wiedohopf!

On the basis of that and Keithā€™s feedback Iā€™ve updated too:-

OPTIONS= -v -f 1 -b -p -e 10.7 -w 4 -t 300

Iā€™ll give that a go and see how it goes for a few days.

Thank you both- and stay safe.

Andy.

Out of interest, what do these two do?

Hi Keith,

The ā€œbā€ enables bias power. So Iā€™m powering the Uptronics amp using that approach rather than an external micro-usb.

The ā€œpā€ option enables ā€œpackingā€ over the USB interface which as I understand uses the USB bandwidth more effectively. I think I needed that for ā€œpeakā€ rates at the 20 MHz sample rate. Wasnā€™t an issue for 12 MHz I donā€™t think.

The ā€œpā€ option might be useful for you? It may allow you to run a higher ā€œeā€ value? I think it was the combination of high ā€œeā€ and the 20 MHz sampling that drove me to that if I recall correctlyā€¦

So many little tweaks and optimisations to try!

Good luck,

Andy.

Oh my, I added -p, set -e to 10.0 (from 9.9) and wallop, thousands upon thousands of lost samples! I expect them for a few seconds after restarting the service but they just carried on and on.

1 Like

Hi Keith,

Hmmm, very odd. How are you seeing these errors?

Itā€™s so long since I looked at this I canā€™t rember how to check?

I presume you are using a Raspberry Pi 4?

Kind Regards,

Andy.

By issuing this command:

sudo journalctl -u airspy_adsb -f -n50