How to get ads-b signals from aircrafts on ground/runway

@omkarthegreat
That’s not the devices i spoke of then.

What kind of a setup are you looking for exactly, what should it do?

Edit: Just looked up this thread, never mind :slight_smile:
Do you have a location at the airport to put some hardware or why are you asking?
Because you are not at the airport, what the devices talked about are for.
(as in directly at the airport, not some kms away like you)

It’s an omni antenna, yes.

If you are 3.5km from the airport and don’t have a clear view of the airport surface already then that’s not really the sort of installation location we’re looking for for these.

They said 1.8kms radius from the airport. Hence I asked about it. Even when I contacted them they were telling out of stock and didn’t tell it needs to be inside airport. That was the reason I thought it might be something different which manages to receive ground traffic. As I manage to receive some ground traffic, I thought if I happen to use that optimized equipment it would be great.

No it’s meant to cope with the strong signals directly at the airport.

The distance isn’t so much the problem as the obstacles in between are.
You’re already hosting one of the more capable devices for them, they don’t have anything that magically gets more signal in your location.

1 Like

I’m 8.3 miles from the ramp at KSUX and 150 feet higher. I pick up aircraft taxiing on the field. I’ve never tracked a ground vehicle as far as I know which leads me to two questions. Does the FAA require all ground vehicles to broadcast position via ADS-B? How strong of a signal would a ground vehicle broadcast?

1 Like

In the USA, ground vehicles (if equipped) are typically equipped with UAT.

1 Like

I like to put proper equipment. RTL-SDR Blog ADS-B Triple Filtered LNA & RTL-SDR v3 dongle are better replacement? or anything better came since then? Reason for not choosing flightaware or radarscape dongle is because it can’t be used for any other purpose. I like your suggestions before placing the order.

The LNA will be connected with yagi or some antenna for adsb.

Those are still my favorite gear in that price range.

2 Likes