How to add Area Coverage Rings and Antenna Coverage to map?

I’ve seen some nice screen shots of users coverage maps with a set of distance rings and others with a shaded area (jagged shaped that I assume shows their antenna coverage area)

How does one go about adding these (in a very basic answer as I’m not a coder) to the Pi?

I am guessing I have to find the code.

Connect the Pi to a monitor and then under the DOS prompt, sorry don’t know what else to call that, type in these EASY commands?

I could never seem to be able to copy/paste any of the previous commands so maybe I’m doing a LOT wrong but typing three pages of code 100% accurately is going to be difficult for me at least so looking and hoping for an easy answer.

Also, I never see the two combined on the same user area map. Are the mutually exclusive from one another?

Others have colored airplanes and that also seems like a nice feature but once again. I don’t know how to add that feature.

Any ideas?

Let’s see your coverage maps!!!

The rings and colored airplanes are by using dump1090-mutability. You may be able to add it to the stock dump1090, but it would be easier to change over to mutability. Search on the forum for the dump1090-mutability thread.

Take a look at this thread. Both the FlightAware version of Dump1090 and Dump1090-mutability versions can be modified.

http://discussions.flightaware.com/ads-b-flight-tracking-f21/how-to-get-alternating-blue-red-circles-in-dump1090-t20403.html

Here is a shot of my modified page when I was running the Flightaware SD card image of Piaware.

As for antenna coverage. I like the image produced by PlaneFinder, which I am also feeding.

…Tom

Exactly what I was looking for is in your maps!!!

Can you not have the two features at the same time?

I’ll have to read this tonight when I get back from work.

The second image above is from my stats page on the PlaneFinder website, not one I produced myself, though it was my data. :slight_smile:
…Tom

You also could set up a VirtualRadar server and connect it to dump1090. Then you have a lot of more features. But I did not see VRS on raspberry yet.

The latest version of modesmixer2 now plots receiver range on the map, a histogram of received ranges and a polar plot. There are quite a few versions for different hardware types including raspberry pi.

I run VRS on my pc and load from 2 Rpis - it’s just a matter of configuring the feed.

Can one feed plans finder.net at the same time as they feed flight aware?

Yes, many people feed more than one site. For instance, I’m feeding FlightAware, PlaneFinder and FR24 all from the same Pi. The actual data source is the same for all 3: a single instance of dump1090-mutability. You just need to add the clients for the different sites and configure them to take their input from the existing dump1090 or dump1090-mutability.

Stock PiAware has the ability to add coverage rings. The code is there but not active. Currently, I do not have access to the Pi to report exactly what was done.

Only one file needs to be changed - /usr/share/dump1090/public_html/config.js.

1. Line 14 CONST_CENTERLAT; replace default latitude with actual.
  2. Line 15 CONST_CENTERLON; replace default longitude with actual.
  3. Line 25 SiteShow; change false to true.
  4. Line 27 SiteLat; replace default latitude with actual.
  5. Line 28 SiteLon; replace default longitude with actual.
  6. Line 30 SiteCircles; (if not true change to true).
  7. Line 32 SiteCirclesDistance; can be changed if desired such as (50,100,150,200,250)

I hope that this helps.

dump1090-mutability:
How to change the clock “Last Update” to show “Local Time” on gmap.html page.

Step-1: Open script.js for Editing

cd /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html
sudo nano script.js

This will open in nano, the file script.js for editing.

Step-2: Press Ctrl+w and type the search keyword getUTC, and press Enter.
The cursor will jump to first getUTC in the following code:

if (ReceiverClock) {
var rcv = new Date(now * 1000);
ReceiverClock.render(rcv.getUTCHours(),rcv.getUTCMinutes(),rcv.getUTCSeconds());
}

comment out these 4 lines of code (i.e. type // at the start of each line) . It will look like following:

// if (ReceiverClock) {
// var rcv = new Date(now * 1000);
//ReceiverClock.render(rcv.getUTCHours(),rcv.getUTCMinutes(),rcv.getUTCSeconds());
// }

STEP-3: Press Ctrl+w and type keyword ticking and press Enter.
Cursor will jump to word ticking of following code:

// disable ticking on the receiver clock, we will update it ourselves
ReceiverClock.tick = (function(){})

comment out the 2nd line of code (i.e. type // at the start of the line) . It will look like following:

*// disable ticking on the receiver clock, we will update it ourselves
//ReceiverClock.tick = (function(){})

Step-4: Save the file (Ctrl+o) then exit (Ctrl+x).

Step-5: Change the Title of top-right clock from “Last Update” to “Local Time”.

Open gmap.html to edit.

cd /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html
sudo nano gmap.html

This will open in nano, the file gmap.html for editing.

Press Ctrl+w and type keyword Last Update, and press Enter.
The cursor will jump to the following line:

Last Update

Change Last Update to Local Time.

The line in gmap.html will become:

Local Time

Now save (Ctrl+o) and exit (Ctrl+x).

Step-6: Reboot RPi.

Step-7: After RPi has rebooted, reload page gmap.html.

You not gonna like this moone, you want it too :slight_smile:

http://62.251.100.171:1090/
https://nl3ehv.nl/graphs.php
http://62.251.100.171:8888/status.html

(The RPIMonotor is very easy to install)
https://xavierberger.github.io/RPi-Monitor-docs/11_installation.html