Graphs for dump1090 -- my version with install script

Can you tell me exactly how you got the previous ‘Hide all tracks’ button to display the stats please?

I see the lines of code but this newbie to Raspberry Pi/Linux needs to know how! :blush:

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

I installed the dump1090 graphs a few hours ago - thanks very much wiedehopf…great job!

From previous reading and looking at the first and last few pages in this thread am I correct in thinking that I should aim for @5% of ADSB messages >3dBFS shown by the red at the bottom of the first ADSB Message Rate Graph?

As can be seen mine is currently running at 13.2% and my gain is set to -10 in the config file.

And - as I am thinking about buying the Airspy Mini would I be right in thinking that maybe I could get away with this higher gain as it is more resistant to overload?

Or as usual have I misunderstood or am I overthinking it again! :blush:

Using a Watson Radar Extender antenna mounted 150m asl feeding AirNav FlightStick into Raspberry Pi 4 if it has any bearing.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

1 Like

The 5% thing is just a rule of thumb and will depend on your own local circumstances. If you are not seeing close flying aircraft dropping out due to overloading then it’s not a problem. If you are, then you could try dropping the gain a notch or two.

The Airspy mini doesn’t really have the same problem. It’s much less affected by strong signals, so you don’t have to be quite as careful with gain.

2 Likes

Thanks very much for the quick reply caius…understood. I can see every aircraft that passes overhead with no dropouts that I have noticed.

But curiosity will always get the better of me and so I just edited /etc/default/dump1090-fa to change -10 to 49.6 just to see what happens…if anything!

If I can I’ll pick up an Airspy Mini before Christmas and give that a try although as I understand it looks like I might have to install airspy_adsb to make it work with the existing dump1090-fa?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

Yes, you have to install airspy_adsb and reconfigure dump1090 to connect to it, but that is easily done with a single command thanks to a script by @wiedehopf which does all the hard work for you.

sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wiedehopf/airspy-conf/master/install.sh)"

Great…thanks for the confirmation caius.

I had stumbled across wiedehopf’s solution earlier on when searching but thanks for the heads-up.

Interestingly following on from my last post changing the gain from -10 to 49.6 reduced the ADSB messages >3dBFS down from the previous 13.2 to basically 0.3% now so ideally I would need somewhere between 49.6 - 55 on my setup which isn’t possible.

I realise I’ll have to take the other graphs into account but I’ll leave the gain at 49.6 for now and see what happens with the other graphs tomorrow when traffic is back up to check the message rate etc. as it had already started to drop off @20:18 when I made the change and restarted dump1090-fa

No prizes for guessing when I changed the gain;

And the last two hours;

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

And a couple of other graphs that might mean more to the experts than it does to me!

Signal level obviously lower than before but that might not necessarily be a bad thing to prevent front end saturation? Not sure whether I was anywhere near saturation before though?

Message rate seems to have increased despite the number of aircraft I would expect to drop off as it gets later in the evening so maybe that’s a good omen?

I guess tomorrow would be the real test and even then you can never be sure because the number of aircraft in the sky/reception etc.

Back in 2008 I would see 3500 unique contacts in a day and have 600-700 on screen at any one time using my RadarBox where these days see 1200-1500 per day and maybe a maximum of 150 or so on screen at one time on my Pi but using the same antenna & cable.

I also have a Kuhne 1090 LNA that I bought way back in those days that I might press into service when I get the Airspy although I notice the v2 is available now.

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

The range is the interesting part. Normally reducing the gain too much does have a negative impact to the range.

Changing from -10 to 49.6 normally does not.
I played around wit lots of gain settings. My receiver with the antenna indoor starts dropping the range if i change the gain to <40. Everything above does have only a little impact.

Hi Tom,

Can you tell me exactly how you got the previous ‘Hide all tracks’ button to display the stats please and is it possible to customise the other buttons also?

I see the lines of code but this newbie to Raspberry Pi/Linux needs to know how! :blush:

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-

I flashed a new sd card. Started with a new flightaware image. In Graphs1090, it will not load the Message Rate Trailing and Message Rate graphs (Broken Link). All others load fine. I have uninstalled and reinstalled with no difference in behavior.

Error appears to be here:

pi@piaware:~ $ sudo /usr/share/graphs1090/graphs1090.sh
9797 (process ID) old priority 0, new priority 19
619x324
619x324
619x324
619x324
ERROR: invalid right-axis format expected scale:shift
mv: cannot stat ‘/run/graphs1090/dump1090-localhost-local_rate-24h.png.tmp’: No such file or directory
ERROR: invalid right-axis format expected scale:shift
mv: cannot stat ‘/run/graphs1090/dump1090-localhost-local_trailing_rate-24h.png.tmp’: No such file or directory

Per your instructions for error reporting, the commands/results are here:

Any hints much appreciated. Happy Holidays!

Try now, should be fixed.

1 Like

Perfect, works great! Thank you so much for all you do and fixing this so quickly! Have an enjoyable holiday!

Help… any ideas how to rebuild the missing UAT signal level graph?

I thought you wanted to get rid of some pictures being displayed and managed to do that.

Your pastebin in contrast to the previous one doesn’t have what is being asked for for debugging: GitHub - wiedehopf/graphs1090: Graphs for readsb / dump1090-fa / dump1090 (based on dump1090-tools by mutability)

Your problem / setup description is also lacking.

Managed to get rid of the unwanted graphs but UAT Signal level graph without making a backup. How do you get the install to rebuild new database files?
new pastebin Dec 27 missing UAT signal level graph - Pastebin.com
with output from
Added a section on what to include when reporting issues:
https://github.com/wiedehopf/graphs1090#reporting-issues

Not the issue.
Well the issue was that the 1090 part of the data collection never created a certain file that is necessary.

Try again now … should be fixed.

1 Like

Thanks… got the UAT Signal Level graphs back at the price of getting the unwanted 1090 graphs also.

can see the gain looks too high on the 2nd one.

See the readme again, update and remove the graphs …

1 Like

Thanks for new graph customization to turn off 1090 graphs for 978 only.

Have updated graphs1090 and tested ```

Removing 978 graphs + data

much better than trying to delete files from /var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/dump1090-localhost
Thank you!