Gold or Red?

Hi, I live in a small village in Cornwall, down in the SW tip of England. As you will be able to tell, I don’t get out much !!! :laughing: Can anyone help me with a question?

US Naval aviators wear gold coloured metal wings on their uniforms. So what colour emroidered insignia do they wear on flight suits? On sites like Ebay and other sellers websites I have only seen gold coloured metal or embroidered wings. As the whole world, and his dog knows, in TOP GUN, their wings are red :confused: Can anyone help explain this for me. Thanks

Well, in movies…

’nuff said :smiley:

Top Gun was a cartoon. One of the funniest movies I’ve ever seen. Lots of fun, just like watching Bugs Bunny or Foghorn Leghorn.

Who knows how the costume designers adjusted the flight suits for movie needs. Maybe red was what the Topgun guys wore, ( I don’t remember). There were probably lots of local variations, but all I remember on flight suits was gold color wings.

The thing to search the great and powerful google for would be photos from Miramar from back in the day. (Exclude refererences to “cruise” if you search for Top Gun to limit the search to the real world).

Or, find a Navy aviator forum ( there are many) and ask your question there.

Check this web page to see if it helps answer your question: public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/s … /6801.aspx

The start of the section above might be better: public.navy.mil/BUPERS-NPC/S … fault.aspx

Thanks fot that rw812. Unless I have misunderstood this it looks like embroidered qualification/name badges can be in squadron colours. So pretty much anything goes! Cheers Peter