Get map (w/weather radar) of Multiple flights in same image?

Using the XML feed, how can I get a graphic map (with weather radar) of a select group of flights showing all their locations?

It is not possible to use FlightXML to directly retrieve a pre-rendered map containing multiple flights. However you can use your own map rendering techniques to create maps yourself using flight data obtained through FlightXML (GetHistoricalTrack/GetLastTrack, FlightInfoEx). You’ll need to obtain your own source for the weather radar images too.

What about this method…It looks like FlightAware TV can show multiple flights on a radar map.

Is the map in FlightawareTV a weather map?

Also, is it possible to setup FlightAware TV to only show flights going into and out of just a single airport - but just display the map - and NOT display any text info on the right side from this demo screen of FlightAwareTV:

FlightAware TV can be configured to only show the map (without any text info on the right side), and it does include a weather layer.

Cool - thanks for the info - it is very helpful.

Just to make sure we are on the same page…

For $90/mo, using FlightawareTV, I can get a URL to a webpage that will display all the flights coming into and going out of a specific/single airport on a map that will also contain weather radar in the map?

I need to quote a client and I just want to make sure I understand everything accurately.

Thanks.

It would be greatly appreciated if I could get a confirmation on my above post :slight_smile:

That’s correct. We offer one-week free trials, so it’s easy to test it out and see if it meets your requirements.

Thanks for the confirmation :slight_smile:

OK, I setup an account with a permanent URL for $90/mo. It’s exactly what I am looking for.

Just one last thing - it seems that after I uncheck “nearby flights” to filter just the flights for the airport, if I reboot my PC (or close and open my browser), it appears that you map will remember to keep off this “nearby flights” setting. So I am assuming it is storing it in a cookie.

Since the display that this page will be running on is unmanned, I just want to make sure that it will permanently remember to keep “nearby flights” off no matter how much time goes by. The reason I say this is that if this setting is stored in a cookie on the display’s PC, cookies have an “expiration date” that they need to be recreated, and when that date arrives, it usually will clear any settings.

So, where is the “don’t display nearby flights” setting stored?

-John

Any official response?

The reason why I am asking is that since this page will be displayed on an unmanned, dedicated display, I need to make sure that if there is a power-outage and the computer gets rebooted (which will also reload this page), I need to make sure that it will ALWAYS remember the “don’t display nearby flights” no matter how much time goes by - that this setting will never expire unless I manually re-enable it.

An official confirmation of this would be greatly appreciated, or is there some other way I should be requesting an official confirmation of this?

-John

Thanks for your question - you’re right that most map settings are controlled by cookies. Currently, the cookie for the nearby airport layer lasts 30 days. So as long as your computer is off for a period shorter than 30 days, it should work.

Thanks for your reply.

OK, we are running into the problem of the webpage “forgetting” the setting of “DO NOT show nearby flights”.

Basically, when you first display the FlightAware TV link we are paying for, the map defaults to showing ALL nearby flights around the airport we are interested in. So, we have to click on the orange “+” symbol to display the pop-up window, then uncheck “Nearby Flights”. Then the map looks the way we want it to look.

But, occasionally (less then 20 days) the page resets back to displaying nearby flights again. This is a problem because this page is being displayed using an unmanned PC, so there is no one readily available to uncheck the “nearby flights” when this happens.

Upon further investigation, I found that the cookies are actually configured to expire in TWO days, not 30 days.

I found this out by:

1. Using firefox to display the flightaware TV URL
  2. Right-click on the page and select “View Page Info” from the pop-up menu
  3. Select the “Security” tab
  4. Click “view cookies” button.

You will notice that it lists 4 cookies related to the displayed page. Two of the cookied expire in 10/22/2025, but the other two cookies expire in TWO DAYS (4/10/15).

So, why are these cookies set to expire in 2 days, when they should be expiring in 30 days as you mentioned?

Thanks for reporting this, we’re looking into it.

Hi, is there any update on this?

My client is not very pleased that the webpage reverted back four times to showing all flights in the past - so I am looking forward to getting this fixed asap.

Thanks.

This should be addressed in today’s release, around 4pm central. You may have to reselect the layer once, but after that, it settings will be perpetual.

Thank you!

Hi,

I just loaded the map URL in firefox, and it’s still setting the expiration of the two cookies (“persist_list” and “persist_1”) to only exactly two days in the future (April 19th 12:23pm).

Was there a delay in deploying the fix?

-John

The persist_list and persist_1 cookies are not used by the map to determine what layers are displayed. Look for a cookie named FATV_[hash]_Vicinity; this is the cookie containing the visibility state of the nearby aircraft layer. That cookie should have an expiration date 1 year from now, and it should be updating every time the page reloads.

Something else to be aware of when checking these cookies is that the FATV content is loaded in an iframe, so be sure you’re looking at the contents of that iframe and not the containing page.