FlightAware Houston & Ike

First of all, here’s hoping that all the Houston staff and everyone else down there gets through Hurricane Ike ok.

I was just wondering about the chances of losing the site temporarily during the storm, due to power outages, etc. Are the servers in Houston or NYC, or elsewhere? I’d like to know now, that way I’d have an idea in case the site does go down.

Thanks in advance, and best wishes to southeast Texas!

Thanks for the kind words, QuickBurn.

We have data centers in Houston and Boston and most of the services are run redundantly at both centers. Even in the worst case (Houston sinks into the gulf? There’s the Californian in me talking…) the site shouldn’t be down for more than 12 hour and no data will be lost.

The Houston office will be closed tomorrow and although most staff will be working from home, if you’d like to contact us with something that’s not urgent (or revenue generating… we’re always open for that) please wait until next week to call.

Hang in there and good luck to you Mark, and the Houston area based FA staff.

Good luck to Houston and the rest of the Gulf Coast. Hopefully, they’ll pull through.

Stay safe down there, you’ll be in everyones prayers this weekend I’m sure.

Just watching msnbc and reporter stated in interview with an offical from Galveston,TX that 40% or some 25,000 fools decided to “ride it out” on the island. No offense but WTF are these idiots thinking? They are talking 31 ft storm surge now. I guess no one has seen the history books on the 1900 hurricane that killed 12000 in Galveston. Good luck to all in the path of Ike, but you have to ask why would they stay?

wunderground.com/hurricane/at190098.asp

Because they have been to this rodeo before.

When?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Rita#Texas

Three years ago.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Carla

47 y ears ago.

From various news articles today:

*“It’s dangerous, but it’s Mother Nature,” Bobby Taylor, 47, who planned to stay, told the Chronicle. “There are good parts about it. It’s beautiful. The water doesn’t frighten me.’‘
He told the paper he could walk or kayak out if necessary. "It’s just water, man.’’”

“If nature is going to come and get us, bring it on!” Harris said as she sipped a Bud light beer at the Poop Deck, a tavern a stone’s throw from the sandy coastal strip thrashed by white-capped waves.
“Everything I own and love is on the island; I’m going down with the ship,” she added.

“I know it sounds crazy, but it’s something I’ve always wanted to do – experience a hurricane,” said Andrew Lawrence, a former convict turned builder, as he knocked back beers and shots in the bar.
“I’ve been in prison, I’ve been shot … I figure if I do this, I’ll be the Michael Phelps of travesties,” he said, referring to the U.S. swim champion who won a record-setting eight gold medals at the Beijing Olympic games.

Galveston city officials, holed up for the next 24 hours with reporters and personnel in a hotel at ground zero on Galveston Island, said that 40 percent of the residents decided not to evacuate.
But officials say that some 24,000 stayed behind - in spite of the mandatory evacuation and the National Weather Center’s gloomy “certain death” warning, and in spite of the city buses lined up to take them off the island.*

And of course the NHC statement that everyone has been headlining:
PERSONS NOT HEEDING EVACUATION ORDERS IN SINGLE FAMILY ONE OR TWO STORY HOMES MAY FACE CERTAIN DEATH.
Never seen “may” and “certain” used together before.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Te … (1944-1979

Rita was a miss, it’s been 25 year since a storm made direct landfall.

Ever been in an eyewall?

Not recent enough…

:laughing: Yes…I found that rather humorous. And had it been related to a much more deadly type of occurrance, it would be REALLY funny.

[quote=“azav8r”]

Maybe tomorrow it won’t seem so funny. We’ll see, but those fools that stayed may face certain underwear soilage, for sure…maybe.

[quote=“deef1999”]

Complete swing and a miss there deef1999 :unamused:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen the NHC issue a warning with “certain death” in it.

Thankfully on waking up this morning, while a massive cleanup operation will be in order, it doesn’t appear that the fatalities will add up to what Katrina did to the Gulf Coast. 3 storm related fatalities thus far I have heard.

Of course, we are still very early in the search and rescue aspect especially to those areas NE of Galveston.

Hopefully as stone are not left unturned it doesn’t become a recovery effort on the scale of Katrina.

3 was too many…

Katrina… The New Orleans NWS set the precedent and also the standard on the wording of NWS area forecast discussions and NHC advisories. See bolded below my name.

Allen

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA
1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

…DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED…

.HURRICANE KATRINA…A MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED
STRENGTH…RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969.

MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS…PERHAPS LONGER. AT
LEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL
FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL…LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY
DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.

THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL.
PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD
FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETE
BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE…INCLUDING SOME
WALL AND ROOF FAILURE.

HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY…A
FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT.
AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD…AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH
AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY
VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATE
ADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS…PETS…AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE
WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK.**

POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS…AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN
AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING
INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY
THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING…BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEW
CROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BE
KILLED.